Ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 111 on Ubuntu 7.10 - How?

Rit Li

The ruby from Ubuntu's repository is 1.8.6 patch 36.

So I download the 1.8.6 p111 source and:

/configure
make
make install

I have ruby 1.8.6 p111 installed. However, I got some loaderror like
readline...

How can I install the complete ruby, like the from one from Ubuntu's
repository?

Thanks,

Luis Lavena

The ruby from Ubuntu's repository is 1.8.6 patch 36.

So I download the 1.8.6 p111 source and:

/configure
make
make install

I have ruby 1.8.6 p111 installed. However, I got some loaderror like
readline...

1st: uninstall the ruby version that came with ubuntu. This is
important since both ruby installation clash (it happened to me but I
don't remember right now).

2nd: sudo apt-get build-dep ruby1.8 (to grab all the needed
dependencies to compile ruby).

3rd: NOW you can compile ruby.

HTH,

Rob Saul

Luis said:
1st: uninstall the ruby version that came with ubuntu. This is
important since both ruby installation clash (it happened to me but I
don't remember right now).

2nd: sudo apt-get build-dep ruby1.8 (to grab all the needed
dependencies to compile ruby).

3rd: NOW you can compile ruby.

This looks helpful. One thing I can't help but wonder is what
might be the implication(s) of doing this as time goes by. Will
one always have to go through this process for updates to ruby?