Ruby 1.8.6 *stripped* documentation

ex

Hi all:

I have been playing for a while with Ruby, and I'm enjoying it.
However I was missing an up to date CHM version of the documentation
for the release I'm using (1.8.6). My only source of documentation was
the "Programming Ruby" book that comes with the Windows installation,
and it was a bit outdated: Ruby 1.6. So I googled for one but only
found a CHM version for Rails. Instead of looking more I downloaded
the source and used RDoc for generating the CHM file, it was not
straightforward: the CHM compiler was crashing, I needed to use the
flag: --inline-source and after that I got my flashy new CHM file. But
it was full of many empty entries and libraries I don't use right now.
I selected some entries and created a *stripped* version. If this
helps others like me it would be nice.

http://elrinconde-ex.blogspot.com/2007/12/ruby-185-stripped-documentation.html

EDIT:
The direct link is: http://rapidshare.com/files/79426241/ruby_1.8.6_stripped_documentation.chm.html

Luis Lavena

[...]

Great work ex!

There are still a few "MISSING" there, but so far, is excellent.

If you like to contribute to One-Click Installer, please use the
Rubyforge tracker and provide us with information how to get it
working.

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167

Also, if there was some problem with RDocs and you can fix them, will
be good you provide RDoc patches to Ruby itself:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby

Keep it working, looks good! :)

ex

Hi Luis!
Seems my post got missing... I'll try to post again with the risk of
double posting, sorry!
Great work ex!
There are still a few "MISSING" there, but so far, is excellent.

Thank you. What are the missing parts? Since I did this for newbies
like my to the language I'm open to ideas for things to improve, I
don't know what libraries are the most used I was just aiming for a
simple core documentation, any imput would be welcome.

If you like to contribute to One-Click Installer, please use the
Rubyforge tracker and provide us with information how to get it
working.

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167

Also, if there was some problem with RDocs and you can fix them, will
be good you provide RDoc patches to Ruby itself:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby

I edited the automated output files by hand (yes, I feel guilty...)
I was just a little anxious for my CHM file.
If you ask I can uploaded my edited files, however these are going to
work only for
the 1.8.6-p111 source code help files.

Best Regards!

bbiker

[...]

The links are upload links and not the download link.

Please post the upload link,

Thank you

bbiker

Shin guey Wong

ex said:

Good work. I really like the chm documentation. It should be included in
the one clicked installer and for sure it will be really helpful. I
prefer this documentation instead of the ri command. Including the ri
documenation make the one click installer consume more time to install
due to so many small file need to extract and copy to the system.

Luis Lavena

Good work. I really like the chm documentation. It should be included in
the one clicked installer and for sure it will be really helpful. I
prefer this documentation instead of the ri command. Including the ri
documenation make the one click installer consume more time to install
due to so many small file need to extract and copy to the system.

I was thinking the same, that's why I checked the file.

Here are the "missing" parts.

Class: Bignum, coerce (p1)
Class: Method, clone()
Class: Proc, clone()
Class: Proc, dup()
Class: UnboundMethod, clone()

That means there is missing documentation in Ruby, but the CHM just
exposed it.

I'll love to include this file instead of RI documentation (actually,
I even install gems with --no-ri --no-rdoc).

Huge folers with so many files (like yaml documentation) hit Windows
MFT so hard that fragment $MFT area quickly. There is also the penalty
of compressing all these files.

So, please, feel free to open a Feature Request and document the whole
process so we can implement it in the future version of One-Click
Installer!

Keep the good work! :)
(and have a nice new year!)

Regards,

Luis Lavena

ex

[...]

Hi Luis.
nice new year for you too!

I just opened a feature request in the tracker, write the steps and
uploaded the files necessary for you compile the CHM, please feel free
to check if everything is working for this to be included in the one
click installer, I would be very happy and maybe others :)

STEPS:

- Download the ruby 1.8.6-p111 source release and unzip.
- Create a help directory in the source tree.
- Launche the next console command:
rdoc --inline-source --line-numbers --fmt chm --op help
- extract the attached files in the help directory (this replace the
originals)
- compile the project (hhp file) using MS HelpWorkshop (free)