Ruby 1.8.7 and1.9.1 installation problems

Picky Mendoza

Hi all
I'm running on my machine vindows vista home and ajust can not install
ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 on my machine.
I used window-installer for this ruby release but after installing i can
not install any gems like rails or wxruby . After tipping in cmd : gem
install rails,it sais gem is not a internal or external command.
What to do to make ruby to work??

Robert Klemme

Hi all
I'm running on my machine vindows vista home and ajust can not install
ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 on my machine.
I used window-installer for this ruby release but after installing i can
not install any gems like rails or wxruby . After tipping in cmd : gem
install rails,it sais gem is not a internal or external command.
What to do to make ruby to work??

Just guessing here: you may have to manually put the command's location
in your PATH environment variable.

Kind regards

robert

Luis Lavena

Hi all
I'm running on my machine vindows vista home and ajust can not install
ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 on my machine.

Did you use the installers from here?

http://rubyinstaller.org/

Did you check the option during installation to "Add Ruby executable
to PATH"?
I used window-installer for this ruby release but after installing i can
not install any gems like rails or wxruby . After tipping in cmd : gem
install rails,it sais gem is not a internal or external command.

I'm not aware of any Window-installer, you refer to RubyInstaller?
Please see my previous comment about the lack of checking the box
during installation.

Even if you don't added to the path, you can start a personalized
command prompt from the application folder named "Command Prompt with
Ruby 1.8.7"

HTH,

Karthikeyan A K

I use Ubutu, but since I have been using windows before here are some
tips. Goto command prompt type:
ruby -v
if you get something like this:
You have installed Ruby successfully.

To install gem click this link:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/70697/rubygems-1.3.7.zip , once
you have downloaded it, extract it, navigate to the extracted directory
with your command prompt and type ruby setup.rb

I hope things will work fine.

Hi all
I'm running on my machine vindows vista home and ajust can not install
ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 on my machine.
I used window-installer for this ruby release but after installing i can
not install any gems like rails or wxruby . After tipping in cmd : gem
install rails,it sais gem is not a internal or external command.
What to do to make ruby to work??

Regards
A.K.Karthikeyan,
Prop. Mind As Lab