Ruby 1.9.1 ming with mysql on windows successful

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by J. D., May 29, 2009.

  1. J. D.

    J. D. Guest

    Well,

    Thanks to a lot of people I managed to get Ruby 1.9.1 installed with
    rails and mysql 5.0 locally on my Windows Vista machine. I'm also able
    to pull remote queries on mysql 5.1 as well. Tested both methods and am
    working fine...

    Here are my specs:

    Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)
    Ruby 1.9.1p129 [i386-mingw32]
    Rails 2.3.2
    Gem 1.3.3
    MySql 5.0.82
    MySql 2.8.1(binary) using mswin32|mingw

    I used the following instructions from Roger Pack:

    Looks like the only way I know of is (assuming ruby 1.9 with devkit)
    1) download "mysql 5.0.x windows without installer"
    2) unzip, put it in c:\mysql
    3) download mysql 2.8.1 binary from tmtm
    http://www.tmtm.org/en/mysql/ruby/
    4) edit extconf so that anywhere it says mswin32 it now says
    mswin32|mingw
    4a) make sure that mysql's bin are *not* in your path
    5) run ruby extconf.rb -- --with-mysql-include=c:/mysql/include
    --with-mysql-lib=c:/mysql/lib/opt
    6) run make, then run make install
    7) copy libmysql.dll to your path
    8) run ruby -e 'require "mysql"'

    ------

    The question I have now is if I backup my current ruby folder and
    installed it later on, would it keep all the settings I've currently
    applied? And, could I give the ruby compilation to someone else (if
    they needed it to work on windows)?

    Thanks.
    J. D., May 29, 2009

  2. J. D.

    Roger Pack Guest

    > The question I have now is if I backup my current ruby folder and
    > installed it later on, would it keep all the settings I've currently
    > applied? And, could I give the ruby compilation to someone else (if
    > they needed it to work on windows)?

    Yeah I suppose you could zip up your whole ruby folder and give it to
    someone--it should have all your gems and such in it. Saving away
    folders should be ok.
    GL!
    -=r
    Roger Pack, May 30, 2009