ruby-1.9.2-p0 fails to to build

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jl Jl, Sep 30, 2010.

  1. Jl Jl

    Jl Jl Guest

    I am trying to get ruby set up on a gumstix overo running angstrom linux
    with a gnome desktop. I keep getting an error during make that I am sure
    is a basic beginner issue that I seem to not be able to sort out. It
    always gives me this error:
    gcc -O3 -ggdb -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses
    -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wno-missing-field-initializers
    -Wno-long-long -fPIC -I. -I.ext/include/armv7l-linux-eabi -I./include
    -I. -DRUBY_EXPORT -o enum.o -c enum.c
    gcc -O3 -ggdb -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses
    -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wno-missing-field-initializers
    -Wno-long-long -fPIC -I. -I.ext/include/armv7l-linux-eabi -I./include
    -I. -DRUBY_EXPORT -o enumerator.o -c enumerator.c
    echo executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.;
    false ./tool/generic_erb.rb -c -o known_errors.inc
    /template/known_errors.inc.tmpl ./defs/known_errors.def
    executable host ruby is required. use --with-baseruby option.
    make: *** [known_errors.inc] Error 1


    Here is how i did the configure:
    /configure --prefix=/opt/metasploit3 --enable-pthread --enable-shared
    I have also tried with just ./configure and still get the same problem
    as above. Configuring either way goes through fine its in the make where
    it fails.

    I have tried during configure and make to add the --with-baseruby and
    neither gives me a completed make to install. What am I missing here?
    Thanks for any help and please feel free to ask me anymore info that I
    may have forgotten. Also I tried searching online and dont see the
    --with-baseruby option anywhere
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Jl Jl, Sep 30, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jl Jl

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Sep 29, 2010, at 20:23 , Jl Jl wrote:

    > I have tried during configure and make to add the --with-baseruby and
    > neither gives me a completed make to install. What am I missing here?


    You're missing an existing ruby. Unfortunately, the current build =
    requires an existing ruby to bootstrap. Install one (any version) via a =
    package manager and do your build. I believe install doesn't have this =
    requirement so you can probably uninstall the packaged ruby before you =
    install your hand-built ruby.=
     
    Ryan Davis, Sep 30, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jl Jl

    Jl Jl Guest

    Ryan Davis wrote:

    > You're missing an existing ruby. Unfortunately, the current build
    > requires an existing ruby to bootstrap. Install one (any version) via a
    > package manager and do your build. I believe install doesn't have this
    > requirement so you can probably uninstall the packaged ruby before you
    > install your hand-built ruby.



    Ahhh ok thanks for the info hadnt ever seen that before. I will build an
    older version, there is no real package management system for my setup
    so will just compile from an older source.

    Thanks again
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Jl Jl, Sep 30, 2010
    #3
  4. Jl Jl

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Sep 30, 12:59 pm, Jeremy Henty <> wrote:
    > On 2010-09-30, Ryan Davis <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Sep 29, 2010, at 20:23 , Jl Jl wrote:

    >
    > >> I have tried  during configure and make to  add the --with-baseruby
    > >> and neither gives me a completed make to install. What am I missing
    > >> here?

    >
    > > You're missing  an existing  ruby. Unfortunately, the  current build
    > > requires an  existing ruby to  bootstrap. Install one  (any version)
    > > via a package manager and do your build.

    >
    > And those of  us who build everything from source  and have no package
    > managers do, ... what?
    >


    Download Ruby 1.8 source code, compile it, install it.

    Then use that as base ruby and download and compile Ruby 1.9

    --
    Luis Lavena
     
    Luis Lavena, Sep 30, 2010
    #4
  5. Jl Jl

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Sep 30, 2:38 pm, Luis Lavena <> wrote:
    > On Sep 30, 12:59 pm, Jeremy Henty <> wrote:
    >
    > > And those of  us who build everything from source  and have no package
    > > managers do, ... what?

    >
    > Download Ruby 1.8 source code, compile it, install it.
    >
    > Then use that as base ruby and download and compile Ruby 1.9
    >


    To clarify: you compile Ruby 1.8 for your current platform and *then*
    make Ruby 1.9 targeting the platform you're trying to compile to.

    HTH,
    --
    Luis Lavena
     
    Luis Lavena, Sep 30, 2010
    #5
  6. Jl Jl

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Sep 30, 2010, at 12:55 , Jeremy Henty wrote:

    > Thanks. Will that work just for now, or indefinitely? What happens
    > when/if the build requires the host to support a Ruby-1.9 specific
    > feature?


    worry about it when it happens.
     
    Ryan Davis, Sep 30, 2010
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John Saunders
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    679
    John Saunders
    Nov 18, 2003
  2. Brian Candler
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    219
    Brian Candler
    Oct 21, 2004
  3. snowcrash+rubytalk
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    158
    Roger Pack
    Dec 6, 2007
  4. Frank J. Lhota
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    119
    Frank J. Lhota
    Apr 16, 2009
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    299
    Grant Wagner
    Dec 23, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page