Ruby 1.9 mswin32 Installation and a Problem

Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner

After installing the package for Ruby 1.9 (extracting ruby-1.9.0-20050722-i386-mswin32.zip and adding
bin-directory to PATH) I started it and got the following error Message (Example):

H:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\interwolf\Desktop>ruby -e'puts "Hello"'
ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

H:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\interwolf\Desktop>ruby --version
ruby 1.9.0 (2005-07-22) [i386-mswin32]

What went wrong?

Best regards, Wolfgang Nadasi-Donner

Stefan Lang

After installing the package for Ruby 1.9 (extracting
ruby-1.9.0-20050722-i386-mswin32.zip and adding bin-directory to PATH) I
started it and got the following error Message (Example):

H:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\interwolf\Desktop>ruby -e'puts "Hello"'
ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

H:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\interwolf\Desktop>ruby --version
ruby 1.9.0 (2005-07-22) [i386-mswin32]

What went wrong?

The RUBYOPT environment variable is set from another Ruby
installation. Unset it first and then try again to run ruby.
Something like:
% set RUBYOPT=3D
% ruby -e "puts 'Hello'"

I'm not a Windows Guru, but I think that you have to modify
the registry to unset RUBYOPT permanent.

HTH,
Stefan

Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner

snip >>>>>
The RUBYOPT environment variable is set from another Ruby
installation. Unset it first and then try again to run ruby.
Something like:
% set RUBYOPT=
% ruby -e "puts 'Hello'"
I'm not a Windows Guru, but I think that you have to modify
the registry to unset RUBYOPT permanent.
I do like Windows :-(((

To my surprise everything worked fine when I'm logged in as administrator. After deleting everything that
sounds like Ruby from the registry it works for other user names too.

But, btw, does this mean I cannot install a stable Ruby 1.8 and an experimental Ruby 1.9 version side by side?

Has someone experiences/knowledge about this (I want to use the one-click-installer for 1.8)??????

Best regards, Wolfgang Nadasi-Donner