    improvements.. Do we have a ballpark ETA for a Windows-friendly release?

    Thanks,

    --Aldric

    Aldric Giacomoni, Feb 10, 2009

  2. Aldric Giacomoni

    Luis Lavena Guest

    Re: Ruby 1.9 one-click installer - or at least stable binary forwindows?

    On Feb 10, 7:18 pm, Aldric Giacomoni <"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net>
    wrote:
    > I read from the official Ruby 1.9.1 thread that none of the devs use
    > Windows, so it's not a priority.. I am sadfaced but I will wait
    > stoically. Is the Preview Binary "just as good" as the 1.9.1 official
    > release? I would like to start testing out the much touted efficiency
    > improvements.. Do we have a ballpark ETA for a Windows-friendly release?

    Hello Aldric

    This has been commented, replied and exposed several times:

    1) There will not be a One-Click Installer in the same shape that you
    know for 1.9.1

    I've exposed the reasons behind it several times here and in
    rubyinstaller-devel and user list.

    2) I decided to wait for 1.9.1 to have a stable and less fluctuating
    working base as 1.9 target

    RubyInstaller will target both 1.8.6 and 1.9.1 release

    3) ballpark for a beta was estimated for mid-february, I'm writing
    about the rewrite progress in my blog[1]

    This got pushed by daily work, but contributions are always welcome.

    4) I believe people should start caring[2]

    If don't bother get your hands dirty, help out or go for the garbage
    collect builds[3]
    (and don't forget to download the related and needed stuff from there)

    Regards,
    --
    Luis Lavena

    [1] http://blog.mmediasys.com
    [2] http://lwn.net/Articles/307732/
    [3] http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

    Luis Lavena, Feb 11, 2009

  3. Re: Ruby 1.9 one-click installer - or at least stable binary forwindows?

    Luis Lavena wrote:
    > On Feb 10, 7:18 pm, Aldric Giacomoni <"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I read from the official Ruby 1.9.1 thread that none of the devs use
    >> Windows, so it's not a priority.. I am sadfaced but I will wait
    >> stoically. Is the Preview Binary "just as good" as the 1.9.1 official
    >> release? I would like to start testing out the much touted efficiency
    >> improvements.. Do we have a ballpark ETA for a Windows-friendly release?
    >>

    > Hello Aldric
    >
    > This has been commented, replied and exposed several times:
    >
    > 1) There will not be a One-Click Installer in the same shape that you
    > know for 1.9.1
    >
    > I've exposed the reasons behind it several times here and in
    > rubyinstaller-devel and user list.
    >
    > 2) I decided to wait for 1.9.1 to have a stable and less fluctuating
    > working base as 1.9 target
    >
    > RubyInstaller will target both 1.8.6 and 1.9.1 release
    >
    > 3) ballpark for a beta was estimated for mid-february, I'm writing
    > about the rewrite progress in my blog[1]
    >
    > This got pushed by daily work, but contributions are always welcome.
    >
    > 4) I believe people should start caring[2]
    >
    > If don't bother get your hands dirty, help out or go for the garbage
    > collect builds[3]
    > (and don't forget to download the related and needed stuff from there)
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Luis Lavena
    >
    > [1] http://blog.mmediasys.com
    > [2] http://lwn.net/Articles/307732/
    > [3] http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/

    Thank you Luis - I'm still very new to reading newsgroups and I'm using
    Thunderbird as newsreader, so I lost track of the Ruby 1.9.1 thread, it
    got too big for me. I'll go and read :)

    --Aldric

    Aldric Giacomoni, Feb 11, 2009