Ruby "Add-ons" Dictionary and Pronunciation guide please

Todd Burch

Rubinius, Watir, RSpec, hpricot, YARV, YAML, rubygems, rake, rinda, erb,
irb, IronRuby, jruby, webistrano, attachment_fu, rubyscript2exe,
cplusruby, dike, GOD, mongrel, scrubyt, PDF::Writer, curses, rexml,
fire, dcov, rassmalog, Metadata, tinderbox, ... ... ... the list goes
on.

Is there a one-stop shop where all these things are defined and indexed
with a short pedestrian explanation of what all they are and do?
There's SO much going on, it's hard to keep up. Or, is it just me?

Todd

James Britt

Todd said:
Rubinius, Watir, RSpec, hpricot, YARV, YAML, rubygems, rake, rinda, erb,
irb, IronRuby, jruby, webistrano, attachment_fu, rubyscript2exe,
cplusruby, dike, GOD, mongrel, scrubyt, PDF::Writer, curses, rexml,
fire, dcov, rassmalog, Metadata, tinderbox, ... ... ... the list goes
on.

Is there a one-stop shop where all these things are defined and indexed
with a short pedestrian explanation of what all they are and do?
There's SO much going on, it's hard to keep up. Or, is it just me?

There are (near) countless libs and tools for Ruby, and the list keeps
growing. Many of them have projects on rubyforge.org, which might be
the best place to look first for information.

To stay on top of things, many people subscribe to rss or atom feeds for
numerous Ruby blogs.

There are some resources for this listed on ruby-lang.org.

--
James Britt

"We are using here a powerful strategy of synthesis: wishful thinking."
- H. Abelson and G. Sussman
(in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)

John Joyce

Rubinius, Watir, RSpec, hpricot, YARV, YAML, rubygems, rake, rinda,
erb,
irb, IronRuby, jruby, webistrano, attachment_fu, rubyscript2exe,
cplusruby, dike, GOD, mongrel, scrubyt, PDF::Writer, curses, rexml,
fire, dcov, rassmalog, Metadata, tinderbox, ... ... ... the list
goes
on.

Is there a one-stop shop where all these things are defined and
indexed
with a short pedestrian explanation of what all they are and do?
There's SO much going on, it's hard to keep up. Or, is it just me?

Todd
Wikipedia?
hmm...
Not, really, but maybe there should be...
Something of a Ruby Wiki
Or just Wikipedia Ruby stuff...

SonOfLilit

Oh, you mean RubyGarden? Google for it.

Aur

Wikipedia?
hmm...
Not, really, but maybe there should be...
Something of a Ruby Wiki
Or just Wikipedia Ruby stuff...

John Joyce

Oh, you mean RubyGarden? Google for it.
Woefully out of date and not maintained well if at all.
Better, check out Ruby Inside, subscribe to the RSS or just visit it
frequently.
It's pretty amazing how much Peter Cooper can gather there almost daily.
Like a one man Ruby Reuters

James Britt

John said:
Woefully out of date and not maintained well if at all.

I wonder who we can contact to get them to maintain it better and keep
it up to date?

Question for whomever: when you visit a wiki that allows general
open-access, and you find something that is wrong, or incomplete, or
dated, do you fix it or add a comment indicating that the current
content is flawed?

If not, why not? Time? Barriers to entry? Poor language skills?

--
James Britt

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by
uncertainty cannot be the truth."
- R. Feynman

obedient dusk