Ruby and Continuous Integration

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Cameron, Gemma (UK), Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Now I've read a couple of old posts about this and the usual response is
    "use Damage Control" but from the looks of it this hasn't been supported
    for quite a while...

    I'm just curious to see if anyone has used Ruby or Rake to build their
    project and used CruiseControl or CruiseControl.NET to run it. I know
    it's possible, it would simply need a [N]Ant script with an <exec> task.
    However this will not report the results back for publishing as cleanly
    or nicely as a nant task, or would it?

    Do I need to re-write my rake file in nant?!=20

    Again I'm just curious to find out if anyone is using Rake or Ruby with
    CruiseControl.NET

    Gem

    Cameron, Gemma (UK), Oct 26, 2006

  2. Cameron, Gemma (UK)

    Jacob Fugal Guest

    On 10/26/06, Cameron, Gemma (UK) <> wrote:
    > Now I've read a couple of old posts about this and the usual response is
    > "use Damage Control" but from the looks of it this hasn't been supported
    > for quite a while...

    It appears the project is defunct or at least in hibernation. I can't
    even get to the repository.

    > I'm just curious to see if anyone has used Ruby or Rake to build their
    > project and used CruiseControl or CruiseControl.NET to run it. I know
    > it's possible, it would simply need a [N]Ant script with an <exec> task.
    > However this will not report the results back for publishing as cleanly
    > or nicely as a nant task, or would it?
    >
    > Do I need to re-write my rake file in nant?!
    >
    > Again I'm just curious to find out if anyone is using Rake or Ruby with
    > CruiseControl.NET

    I haven't tried CruiseControl + Rake yet, but others have told me it's
    possible. Another option I was just made aware of last week is
    Cerberus[1]. Since then, I've also seen it mentioned in a blog and an
    announcement of a new version on this list. So it seems pretty active.
    It's still fairly new, but might be worth looking into. I'm planning
    on checking it out this weekend.

    Jacob Fugal

    [1] http://cerberus.rubyforge.org/

    Jacob Fugal, Oct 26, 2006

  3. If you're already using Trac to manage bugs and whatnot.. bitten is
    pretty neat.. it's written in python, but it can run pretty much
    anything. I haven't used it with rake yet, but I assume it could run
    that as easily as a shell script. It's simple and does what I need
    for the time being.
    http://bitten.cmlenz.net/

    Also, Luntbuild is rather configureable and can deal with many builds
    and dependancies well. It's another java CI tool though.
    http://luntbuild.javaforge.com/

    -jro

    Jason Rohwedder, Oct 26, 2006
  4. Cameron, Gemma (UK)

    Hugh Sasse Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Cameron, Gemma (UK) wrote:

    > Now I've read a couple of old posts about this and the usual response is
    > "use Damage Control" but from the looks of it this hasn't been supported
    > for quite a while...

    There seems to be Cerberus as well...

    http://cerberus.rubyforge.org/

    > I'm just curious to see if anyone has used Ruby or Rake to build their
    > project and used CruiseControl or CruiseControl.NET to run it. I know

    [...]
    not me.

    > Do I need to re-write my rake file in nant?!

    There is also a project called Rant....

    http://rant.rubyforge.org/

    which I've not used, so don't know how similar it is to Ant. It says
    it is similar to make.

    > Again I'm just curious to find out if anyone is using Rake or Ruby with
    > CruiseControl.NET

    http://www.pragmaticautomation.com/cgi-bin/pragauto.cgi

    might be worth an explore.

    > Gem

    Hugh

    Hugh Sasse, Oct 26, 2006
  5. Cameron, Gemma (UK)

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Cameron, Gemma (UK) wrote:
    > Now I've read a couple of old posts about this and the usual response is
    > "use Damage Control" but from the looks of it this hasn't been supported
    > for quite a while...

    I bit off topic, but didn't DHH write a small CI
    for Ruby/Rails development several months ago?

    Later,
    --
    Bil Kleb
    http://kleb.tadalist.com/lists/public/427170

    Bil Kleb, Oct 26, 2006
  6. Cameron, Gemma (UK)

    John Wilger Guest

    On 10/26/06, Bil Kleb <> wrote:
    > I bit off topic, but didn't DHH write a small CI
    > for Ruby/Rails development several months ago?

    Yes...but...

    The one DH wrote is called CIA and can be had from the Rails svn
    repository. The two things I don't like about it are that a) it runs
    on the same server as the repo, and b) depending on the version of
    Subversion you are running, your commits will hang while the tests are
    run.

    There are other options, though. There's a RubyForge project called
    Cerebus, which does CI and can live on another machine.
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/cerberus/

    I've also got a little application called (tongue-in-cheek) NSA that
    can be had from svn://source.johnwilger.com/nsa/trunk . Be forewarned
    that NSA is currently very much unpolished and of alpha quality -- it
    works for most of our needs at work, but YMMV.

    Jay Fields also posted about a similar CI solution to his website a
    few months ago.
    http://jayfields.blogspot.com/2006/07/ruby-continuous-integration.html

    --
    Regards,
    John Wilger

    -----------
    Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
    "Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
    "I don't know," Alice answered.
    "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
    - Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

    John Wilger, Oct 26, 2006
  7. Cameron, Gemma (UK)

    Jacob Fugal Guest

    On 10/26/06, John Wilger <> wrote:
    > The one DH wrote is called CIA... <snip>
    > I've also got a little application called (tongue-in-cheek) NSA... <snip>

    So who's going to write the "Find Bugs Instantly" CI tool?

    Jacob Fugal

    Jacob Fugal, Oct 26, 2006