Ruby and Continuous Integration

Cameron, Gemma (UK)

Now I've read a couple of old posts about this and the usual response is
"use Damage Control" but from the looks of it this hasn't been supported
for quite a while...

I'm just curious to see if anyone has used Ruby or Rake to build their
project and used CruiseControl or CruiseControl.NET to run it. I know
it's possible, it would simply need a [N]Ant script with an <exec> task.
However this will not report the results back for publishing as cleanly
or nicely as a nant task, or would it?

Do I need to re-write my rake file in nant?!=20

Again I'm just curious to find out if anyone is using Rake or Ruby with
CruiseControl.NET

Gem

Jacob Fugal

Now I've read a couple of old posts about this and the usual response is
"use Damage Control" but from the looks of it this hasn't been supported
for quite a while...

It appears the project is defunct or at least in hibernation. I can't
even get to the repository.
I'm just curious to see if anyone has used Ruby or Rake to build their
project and used CruiseControl or CruiseControl.NET to run it. I know
it's possible, it would simply need a [N]Ant script with an <exec> task.
However this will not report the results back for publishing as cleanly
or nicely as a nant task, or would it?

Do I need to re-write my rake file in nant?!

Again I'm just curious to find out if anyone is using Rake or Ruby with
CruiseControl.NET

I haven't tried CruiseControl + Rake yet, but others have told me it's
possible. Another option I was just made aware of last week is
Cerberus[1]. Since then, I've also seen it mentioned in a blog and an
announcement of a new version on this list. So it seems pretty active.
It's still fairly new, but might be worth looking into. I'm planning
on checking it out this weekend.

Jacob Fugal

[1] http://cerberus.rubyforge.org/

Jason Rohwedder

If you're already using Trac to manage bugs and whatnot.. bitten is
pretty neat.. it's written in python, but it can run pretty much
anything. I haven't used it with rake yet, but I assume it could run
that as easily as a shell script. It's simple and does what I need
for the time being.
http://bitten.cmlenz.net/

Also, Luntbuild is rather configureable and can deal with many builds
and dependancies well. It's another java CI tool though.
http://luntbuild.javaforge.com/

-jro

Hugh Sasse

Now I've read a couple of old posts about this and the usual response is
"use Damage Control" but from the looks of it this hasn't been supported
for quite a while...

There seems to be Cerberus as well...

http://cerberus.rubyforge.org/
I'm just curious to see if anyone has used Ruby or Rake to build their
project and used CruiseControl or CruiseControl.NET to run it. I know
[...]
not me.
Do I need to re-write my rake file in nant?!

There is also a project called Rant....

http://rant.rubyforge.org/

which I've not used, so don't know how similar it is to Ant. It says
it is similar to make.
Again I'm just curious to find out if anyone is using Rake or Ruby with
CruiseControl.NET

http://www.pragmaticautomation.com/cgi-bin/pragauto.cgi

might be worth an explore.
Hugh

Bil Kleb

Cameron said:
Now I've read a couple of old posts about this and the usual response is
"use Damage Control" but from the looks of it this hasn't been supported
for quite a while...

I bit off topic, but didn't DHH write a small CI
for Ruby/Rails development several months ago?

Later,

John Wilger

I bit off topic, but didn't DHH write a small CI
for Ruby/Rails development several months ago?

Yes...but...

The one DH wrote is called CIA and can be had from the Rails svn
repository. The two things I don't like about it are that a) it runs
on the same server as the repo, and b) depending on the version of
Subversion you are running, your commits will hang while the tests are
run.

There are other options, though. There's a RubyForge project called
Cerebus, which does CI and can live on another machine.
http://rubyforge.org/projects/cerberus/

I've also got a little application called (tongue-in-cheek) NSA that
can be had from svn://source.johnwilger.com/nsa/trunk . Be forewarned
that NSA is currently very much unpolished and of alpha quality -- it
works for most of our needs at work, but YMMV.

Jay Fields also posted about a similar CI solution to his website a
few months ago.
http://jayfields.blogspot.com/2006/07/ruby-continuous-integration.html

--
Regards,
John Wilger

-----------
Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

Jacob Fugal

The one DH wrote is called CIA... <snip>
I've also got a little application called (tongue-in-cheek) NSA... <snip>

So who's going to write the "Find Bugs Instantly" CI tool?

Jacob Fugal