Ruby and Debian

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Hal Fulton, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    I don't wish to open a can of worms here. I'm not even a Debian
    user, I'm just trying to help a friend.

    Please refrain if you can from digressing into discussions of politics,
    licenses, package management, rubygems replacements, or "my distro can
    beat up your distro."

    I met with a friend at breakfast this morning. Coffee shop with killer
    pastries and wi-fi, ahhhh.

    He's a Debian guy. Our purpose in meeting was to install Ruby and rubygems
    and one other library and then play with it a little. (He doesn't know
    Ruby yet.)

    He tried an apt-get before I got there. After fiddling a bit, I suggested
    installing from source -- rubygems was complaining about zlib.

    We installed from source, got no zlib, thus rubygems crashed. Tried an
    apt-get of zlib-ruby, but no joy. Version conflict or something.

    Gave up, moved to a different server, did everything the "right" way.
    Wasted over an hour. Never got ruby/zlib/rubygems all installed properly
    on either box.

    Moved to a Red Hat server where it all "just worked."

    What's the magic to get this going on Debian?

    Thanks,
    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Hal Fulton

    Jim Guest

    stable:

    aptitude install zlib1g-dev

    then try to configure and compile ruby again.

    Jim, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Hal Fulton wrote:
    > What's the magic to get this going on Debian?

    Last time I tried this, I discovered that Ruby is split into a whole lot
    of packages. I'm sure there's a really good reason the packagers split
    Ruby into so many packages, but I've found that installing from source
    is quicker and easier if you want everything. Maybe the packages are
    useful for people who want a minimal install.

    Sorry, I realize this isn't the most helpful answer.

    Jen

    jennyw jennyw, Dec 17, 2005
  4. Hal Fulton

    ezmobius mob Guest

    On 12/16/05, Hal Fulton <> wrote:

    > What's the magic to get this going on Debian?
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Hal

    Hal-

    =09After quite a few times experimenting to get a nice setup for ruby
    and rails on debian, I wrote a detailed tutorial[1]. The tutorial
    covers some stuff you probably don't need or already have installed
    but it does install a fully working ruby and gems plus other goodies
    like Imagemagick and Rmagick plus the mysql-ruby bindings. So you can
    probably find what you need in it.

    [1] http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html

    Cheers-

    -Ezra

    ezmobius mob, Dec 17, 2005
  5. Hal Fulton

    Chris Martin Guest

    On 12/16/05, Hal Fulton <> wrote:

    > What's the magic to get this going on Debian?

    Assuming you're using Ruby 1.8 you need to

    apt-get install libruby1.8

    it replaces libzlib-ruby1.8

    FWIW I've never used libzlib, but have (and do) use ruby on debian.

    I usually use debian's ruby package, and libs such as fcgi/mysql
    I haven't seen a rubygem package for debian since 8.4, which can still
    be used if you do the following
    # gem install rubygems-update
    AND
    # update_rubygems

    Although it's just as easy to install rubygems from source, and lately
    I've just been doing that.

    For Rails, I ALWAYS use rubygems to install it. I've never had luck
    with the debian packages.

    Obviously it's kind of a try and see type of thing, there really is no
    "right way".
    As silly as this sounds, I typically install gems via gem (rubygems)
    and anything that starts with lib via apt. ;)

    The following commands help alot while searching for ruby packages via
    apt, just replace "libruby1.8" with whatever you're looking for.
    apt-cache search libruby1.8 | grep ruby
    apt-cache search ruby | grep libruby1.8
    apt-cache show libruby1.8

    HTH

    --
    Chris Martin
    Web Developer

    Chris Martin, Dec 17, 2005
  6. Hal Fulton

    Jim Guest

    Now I'm having trouble compliling ruby 1.8.3 on Debian stable with tk
    support so I can play rrobots. Anyone help here?

    Jim, Dec 17, 2005
  7. --G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

    Hi:

    On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 03:51:29PM +0900, Hal Fulton wrote:
    > I don't wish to open a can of worms here. I'm not even a Debian
    > user, I'm just trying to help a friend.
    >=20
    > Please refrain if you can from digressing into discussions of politics,
    > licenses, package management, rubygems replacements, or "my distro can
    > beat up your distro."
    >=20
    > I met with a friend at breakfast this morning. Coffee shop with killer
    > pastries and wi-fi, ahhhh.
    >=20
    > He's a Debian guy. Our purpose in meeting was to install Ruby and rubygems
    > and one other library and then play with it a little. (He doesn't know
    > Ruby yet.)
    >=20
    > He tried an apt-get before I got there. After fiddling a bit, I suggested
    > installing from source -- rubygems was complaining about zlib.
    > [...]

    Is he using Debian stable? Is it a server? That is supposed to have been
    fixed months ago (in sid and testing).

    If he's indeed using stable, you'll have to install a couple of packages
    to have a complete Ruby installation. There was a guide somewhere in the Ra=
    ils
    Wiki (it doesn't work for me right now, network problems?).

    HTH,

    --=20
    Esteban Manchado Vel=E1zquez <> - http://www.foton.es

    --G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

    --G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe--

    Esteban Manchado Velázquez, Dec 17, 2005
  8. Hal Fulton

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --8sQsHfNlXZNubEnG

    * jennyw jennyw () wrote:
    > Hal Fulton wrote:
    > > What's the magic to get this going on Debian?

    >=20
    > Last time I tried this, I discovered that Ruby is split into a whole lot=

    =20
    > of packages. I'm sure there's a really good reason the packagers split=20
    > Ruby into so many packages, but I've found that installing from source=20
    > is quicker and easier if you want everything. Maybe the packages are=20
    > useful for people who want a minimal install.

    They fixed this brain-dead policy recently.

    I use Debian for everything personally, but adding "this library is in
    the standard library, except in Debian" to my documentation was getting
    a bit old.

    > Sorry, I realize this isn't the most helpful answer.
    >=20
    > Jen
    >=20
    > --=20
    > Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --8sQsHfNlXZNubEnG

    --8sQsHfNlXZNubEnG--

    Paul Duncan, Dec 19, 2005
  9. Hal Fulton

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --jFijuCULRDbBA23d

    * Chris Martin () wrote:
    > On 12/16/05, Hal Fulton <> wrote:
    > >
    > > What's the magic to get this going on Debian?

    [snipped]
    > The following commands help alot while searching for ruby packages via
    > apt, just replace "libruby1.8" with whatever you're looking for.
    > apt-cache search libruby1.8 | grep ruby
    > apt-cache search ruby | grep libruby1.8
    > apt-cache show libruby1.8

    # save your fingers and keep your hair
    alias acs=3D'apt-cache search --names-only'

    Produces:

    pabs@halcyon:~> acs libruby =20
    libruby - Libraries necessary to run Ruby 1.8.x
    libruby1.6 - Libraries necessary to run Ruby 1.6.x
    libruby1.6-dbg - Debugging libraries for Ruby 1.6.x
    libruby1.8 - Libraries necessary to run Ruby 1.8
    libruby1.8-dbg - Debugging libraries for Ruby 1.8
    libruby1.9 - Libraries necessary to run Ruby 1.9
    libruby1.9-dbg - Debugging libraries for Ruby 1.9

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --jFijuCULRDbBA23d

    --jFijuCULRDbBA23d--

    Paul Duncan, Dec 19, 2005
  10. Hal Fulton

    Paul Duncan Guest

    --8MD1ZCO3r6aZNHwn

    * Hal Fulton () wrote:
    > I don't wish to open a can of worms here. I'm not even a Debian
    > user, I'm just trying to help a friend.
    >=20
    > Please refrain if you can from digressing into discussions of politics,
    > licenses, package management, rubygems replacements, or "my distro can
    > beat up your distro."
    >=20
    > I met with a friend at breakfast this morning. Coffee shop with killer
    > pastries and wi-fi, ahhhh.
    >=20
    > He's a Debian guy. Our purpose in meeting was to install Ruby and rubygems
    > and one other library and then play with it a little. (He doesn't know
    > Ruby yet.)
    >=20
    > He tried an apt-get before I got there. After fiddling a bit, I suggested
    > installing from source -- rubygems was complaining about zlib.
    >=20
    > We installed from source, got no zlib, thus rubygems crashed. Tried an
    > apt-get of zlib-ruby, but no joy. Version conflict or something.

    If you're installing from source, you need zlib1g-dev (in Debianese,=20
    "-dev" suffix =3D=3D header files).

    > Gave up, moved to a different server, did everything the "right" way.
    > Wasted over an hour. Never got ruby/zlib/rubygems all installed properly
    > on either box.

    Depending on the version of Debian (I'm using Sid, so the way things are
    for me are how they'll be for you eventually), it _should_ be this
    simple:

    # install ruby and ruby development packages
    sudo apt-get install ruby1.8{,-dev} libruby1.8

    # install gems from source
    gem_url=3D'http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/5207/rubygems-0.8.11.tgz'
    wget $gem_url && tar zxf rubygems-0.8.11.tar.gz && \
    cd rubygems-0.8.11 && sudo ruby setup.rb
    =20
    If zlib wasn't listed as a dependency for libruby1.8 on the system in
    question, it is now (in the more recent versions):

    pabs@halcyon:~> ach libruby1.8 | grep Dep.*zlib
    Depends: libc6 (>=3D 2.3.5-1), libncurses5 (>=3D 5.4-5), zlib1g (>=3D
    1:1.2.1)

    > Moved to a Red Hat server where it all "just worked."
    >=20
    > What's the magic to get this going on Debian?

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --8MD1ZCO3r6aZNHwn

    --8MD1ZCO3r6aZNHwn--

    Paul Duncan, Dec 19, 2005
  11. Hello.

    Chris Martin:

    > I haven't seen a rubygem package for debian since 8.4,

    Hyspro seems to have 0.8.11 - see the end of
    http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/rubygems.html

    > which can still be used if you do the following
    > # gem install rubygems-update
    > AND
    > # update_rubygems

    What is the purpose of this? Does this keep the rubygems updated
    'the Debian way', i.e. dpkg knows about any added/removed files?

    > Although it's just as easy to install rubygems
    > from source, and lately I've just been doing that.

    Right, but if you don't put it in /opt, you're polluting the
    dpkg's file hierarchy. You could at least `checkinstall -D`.

    > For Rails, I ALWAYS use rubygems to install it.
    > I've never had luck with the debian packages.

    Hm, the rails Debian package always worked for me as a charm.

    > Obviously it's kind of a try and see type
    > of thing, there really is no "right way".
    > As silly as this sounds, I typically install gems via
    > gem (rubygems) and anything that starts with lib via apt. ;)

    I try to install anything I can via apt, so as to minimise the
    filesystem pollution and to have other Debian packages that might
    depend on a given thing have it fulfilled without duplications.

    I was wondering whether anyone tried
    `checkinstall -D gem install ...`
    - does this work/makes sense?

    Cheers,
    -- Shot
    --
    SCO is the thief who puts a gun to his own head and says 'give
    me your money or I'll shoot.' -- Bruce Perens, /.

    Shot - Piotr Szotkowski, Dec 21, 2005
  12. Hal Fulton

    Al Gordon Guest

    On 12/21/05, mathew <> wrote:
    > Chris Martin wrote:
    > >On 12/16/05, Hal Fulton <> wrote:
    > >>What's the magic to get this going on Debian?

    > > Assuming you're using Ruby 1.8 you need to
    > >
    > > apt-get install libruby1.8

    > But ruby already lists libruby1.8 as a dependency, so that shouldn't be
    > the problem. It should already have been installed when ruby was installe=

    d.

    > > For Rails, I ALWAYS use rubygems to install it. I've never had luck
    > > with the debian packages.

    > Yes, well, let's not reopen the RubyGems vs APT discussion again...
    > That's one area where the Debian folk deserve criticism, but they don't
    > seem to have any interest in cooperating to fix the problem.
    >
    > So yeah, the best thing is to install RubyGems from source and use it
    > for all Ruby libraries. Or as you say:
    >
    > > As silly as this sounds, I typically install gems via gem (rubygems)
    > > and anything that starts with lib via apt. ;)

    > mathew
    > --
    > <URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>
    > My parents went to the lost kingdom of Hyrule
    > and all I got was this lousy triforce.

    Is there an easy way for Debian users to create .debs for stuff
    otherwise installed via gems or with setup.rb? I regularly create
    debs for "./configure; make; make install" by using checkinstall, but
    am unaware of the ruby equivalent, if any. I'd heard that it's out
    there, but haven't seen it in my googling.

    Thanks,

    --

    -- AL --

    Al Gordon, Dec 22, 2005
  13. Hal Fulton

    Hans Fugal Guest

    It's called equivs, and I've never used it but I know you can do it.
    Try that for a google keyword.

    Hans Fugal, Dec 23, 2005
  14. --YH9Qf6Fh2G5kB/85

    On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:32:50PM +0900, Hans Fugal wrote:
    > It's called equivs, and I've never used it but I know you can do it.
    > Try that for a google keyword.

    equivs is for creating (mostly) empty .deb packages, for testing purpos=
    es
    or to work-around dependency problems.

    There isn't (yet) a way to create a .deb package from a Ruby Gem or a
    setup.rb-ridden Ruby tarball, but we're working on it (specially the second=
    ).

    Regards,

    --=20
    Esteban Manchado Vel=E1zquez <> - http://www.foton.es

    --YH9Qf6Fh2G5kB/85

    --YH9Qf6Fh2G5kB/85--

    Esteban Manchado Velázquez, Dec 23, 2005
  15. Hello.

    mathew:

    > Yes, well, let's not reopen the RubyGems vs APT discussion again...
    > That's one area where the Debian folk deserve criticism, but they
    > don't seem to have any interest in cooperating to fix the problem.

    Don't you think that following 'let's not reopen' with 'Debian folk
    deserve criticism' and 'don't seem to have any interest in cooperating'
    seems a bit contradictory?

    Al Gordon:

    > Is there an easy way for Debian users to create .debs for stuff
    > otherwise installed via gems or with setup.rb? I regularly create
    > .debs for "./configure; make; make install" by using checkinstall,
    > but am unaware of the ruby equivalent, if any.

    Don't `checkinstall gem install ...`
    and `checkinstall ruby setup.rb` work?

    (Not tried these, just wondering.)

    Cheers,
    -- Shot (who believes that Debian folks are right in trying to follow FHS)
    --
    You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better
    imaginary friend. -- Yasir Arafat on religious wars

    Shot - Piotr Szotkowski, Dec 23, 2005
  16. Hello.

    mathew:

    > Esteban Manchado Vel=E1zquez wrote:

    >> If he's indeed using stable, you'll have to install
    >> a couple of packages to have a complete Ruby installation.

    > Specifically:

    > ruby
    > ri1.8
    > rdoc1.8

    Or, better yet, ri and rdoc (dummy packages depending on the latest ri
    and RDoc versions, just like the ruby one depends on the latest Ruby)
    - this way you'll get automagically upgraded to 2.0 if/when the next
    Debian stable ships it.

    Cheers,
    -- Shot
    --=20
    Life is like sendmail: you're not sure you know how to handle
    it, but you know it'll end in tears. -- Malcolm Ray, asr
    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D http:/=
    /shot.pl/hovercraft/ =3D=3D=3D http://shot.pl/1/125/ =3D=3D=3D

    Shot - Piotr Szotkowski, Dec 23, 2005
  17. On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:39:46AM +0900, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski wrote:
    } Hello.
    }
    } mathew:
    }
[...]

    I haven't tried either of these, but I've been happy with a /usr/local
    install of gem on Debian. It took some work to figure out how to get it to
    work right, but I documented it at
    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1198&group_id=126&atid=575
    so other people can deal with it themselves. To deal with the GEM_HOME
    environment variable issue I added the following line to /etc/csh.cshrc:

    setenv GEM_HOME "/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/gems"

    ...and the following line to /etc/profile:

    export GEM_HOME="/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/gems"

    I also symlinked /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/gems/bin to /usr/local/bin for
    convenience.

    While it would be nice if Debian magically played nice with RubyGems, I'm
    more annoyed that it took a moderately complicated workaround to get gem to
    install in /usr/local properly, like any well-behaved piece of OSS would.

    } Cheers,
    } -- Shot (who believes that Debian folks are right in trying to follow FHS)
    --Greg

    Gregory Seidman, Dec 24, 2005
  18. Hal Fulton

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:44:41AM +0900, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > mathew:
    >
    > > ruby
    > > ri1.8
    > > rdoc1.8

    > Or, better yet, ri and rdoc (dummy packages depending on the latest ri
    > and RDoc versions, just like the ruby one depends on the latest Ruby)
    > - this way you'll get automagically upgraded to 2.0 if/when the next
    > Debian stable ships it.

    The point of Stable is that it doesn't change, so that you'll never have
    to worry about something that works suddenly breaking when you're doing
    security updates or adding software. Thus, one tends to not see new
    packages appear in Stable unless absolutely necessary for security
    reasons.

    Chad Perrin, Dec 24, 2005
  19. Hal Fulton

    angus Guest

    [Chad Perrin <>, 2005-12-24 02.23 CET]
    > On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:44:41AM +0900, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski wrote:
    > > Hello.
    > >
    > > mathew:
    > >
    > > > ruby
    > > > ri1.8
    > > > rdoc1.8

    > > Or, better yet, ri and rdoc (dummy packages depending on the latest ri
    > > and RDoc versions, just like the ruby one depends on the latest Ruby)
    > > - this way you'll get automagically upgraded to 2.0 if/when the next
    > > Debian stable ships it.

    > The point of Stable is that it doesn't change, so that you'll never have
    > to worry about something that works suddenly breaking when you're doing
    > security updates or adding software. Thus, one tends to not see new
    > packages appear in Stable unless absolutely necessary for security
    > reasons.

    Anyway, whether you don't want to upgrade to the next stable release when it
    appears, or whether you do want to, selecting the dummy, generic-named
    packages is better.

    Cheers.

    angus, Dec 24, 2005
  20. Hal Fulton

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 02:45:28PM +0900, angus wrote:
    > [Chad Perrin <>, 2005-12-24 02.23 CET]
    > > On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:44:41AM +0900, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski wrote:
    > > > Hello.
    > > >
    > > > mathew:

    > > > Or, better yet, ri and rdoc (dummy packages depending on the latest ri
    > > > and RDoc versions, just like the ruby one depends on the latest Ruby)
    > > > - this way you'll get automagically upgraded to 2.0 if/when the next
    > > > Debian stable ships it.

    > > The point of Stable is that it doesn't change, so that you'll never have
    > > to worry about something that works suddenly breaking when you're doing
    > > security updates or adding software. Thus, one tends to not see new
    > > packages appear in Stable unless absolutely necessary for security
    > > reasons.

    > Anyway, whether you don't want to upgrade to the next stable release when it
    > appears, or whether you do want to, selecting the dummy, generic-named
    > packages is better.

    Sorry, didn't mean to get pedantic. Yes, you're right.

    Chad Perrin, Dec 24, 2005