Ruby and ESB (Sonic)

Bert van Brakel

Has anyone had any experience with ruby and ESB testing? Especially sonic=
ESB?

Are there any bindings available to generate ESB messages from within rub=
y? a JMS client binding?

We are needing the ability to post messages directly to the bus during UI=
interface testing to
ensure the UI reflects changes on the bus. We can obviously post html to =
a listening java servlet
and get xml back, but are hoping there may be a jmx client around somewhe=
re which we can bind to
directly from within ruby.

Any pointers/directions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bert,
MSO New York

Regards,
Bert van Brakel

Software Engineer
NZ Mobile: (+64) 021 069-4095

Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.co=
m=20

Brian McCallister

Bert:

I'm working on (in Java and JDBC terms) a generic Type-4 (protocol
based) JMS Driver. Basically a wire protocol which is capable of
mapping to JMS semantics in a reasonable way. I'm doing the initial
implementation against ActiveMQ ( http://activemq.org/ ) because it
is a) very fast, b) I have access to the source to do it as just
another wire protocol on the (select based) tcp channels there. You
could hook it to SonicMQ (and hence Sonic ESB) via a JMS adaptor
which just understood the wire protocol and translated (to the same
ideas) in JMS api instead of stream based protocol.

It would be pretty easy and straightforward to do a JMS adaptor which
just bridged from a ttmp (working name for the wire protocol)
implementation to JMS. I actually considered this route, but decided
to go the easier way for a first implementation. The protocol is
being specced now, but it is so simple that it is mostly tweaking as
I implement to make sure I don't bind it too tightly to how I use MQ
systems.

Anyway, can follow any talk of work as I talk about it on my blog at
http://blog.skife.org/ (which exists to talk about open source and
related stuff I am working on) and in ActiveMQ's subversion impl. If
you need something really soon, email me directly and I can prolly help.

-Brian

JMX I cannot help much with, on the other hand.

Bert van Brakel

Thanks Brian, looks cool.

For now I think I'll just stick to posting xml to a servlet as this seems=
the simplist route, if
anything more sophisticated is required I may delve a bit deeper into wha=
t you are working on. Was
hoping there would already be a jmx client for ruby around with little wo=
rk needed to get it up
and running (deadlines, deadlines..), but it may turn out we don't need s=
omething that
sophisticated.

Cheers,
Bert