Ruby and GUI

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Satish Talim, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. Satish Talim

    Satish Talim Guest

    I am new to Ruby and wanted to explore ways to create a GUI (on
    Windows) in Ruby. What I have gathered so far is that the following
    libraries exist to create a GUI:

    a. Ruby Tk - it's language-independent, cross-platform and comes
    standard with most Ruby distributions. However, there is no Ruby/Tk
    book or documentation to make good use of this library, especially
    since I have no Perl background.

    b.wxRuby - It's a third party download and works on Windows, Unix and
    Mac OS X. It has many more features than Tk but the writing code in it
    is quite complex.

    My questions are:

    a. Is my above brief assessment correct?
    b. Is there a book or documentation on Ruby/Tk?
    c. Is there any good documentation on wxRuby
    d. Which according to the experts here, is the best library to use to
    build GUI on Windows and why?

    Thanks.
    --
    Satish Talim

    Satish Talim, Aug 10, 2006

  2. On 8/10/06, Satish Talim <> wrote:
    > I am new to Ruby and wanted to explore ways to create a GUI (on
    > Windows) in Ruby. What I have gathered so far is that the following
    > libraries exist to create a GUI:
    >
    > [snip]

    Hi,

    You'll want to search the mailing list archives for "Ruby GUI" -- you
    should find lots of stuff. This question is asked pretty regularly.
    Note, this list is mostly mirrored on comp.lang.ruby, so you might try
    searching there as well.

    ---John

    John Gabriele, Aug 10, 2006

  3. Satish Talim

    vasudevram Guest

    John Gabriele wrote:
    > On 8/10/06, Satish Talim <> wrote:
    > > I am new to Ruby and wanted to explore ways to create a GUI (on
    > > Windows) in Ruby. What I have gathered so far is that the following
    > > libraries exist to create a GUI:
    > >
    > > [snip]

    Hi,

    I saw somewhere on the Net recently that wxRuby development is slow or
    stopped - not sure why, and unlike wxPython - though both wxRuby and
    wxPython are based on the same underlying wxWindows/wxWidgets C++
    cross-platform GUI toolkit). The same web page also said (in reply to a
    question similar to yours) that FxRuby seems to be a better option
    than wxRuby (considering all factors together, not necessarily just on
    technical merits, e.g. could have been referring to the fact that
    wxRuby dev. is slow/stopepd). Don't know more than this as of now.
    FXRuby is based on the Fox toolkit, a C++ GUI toolkit.

    FXRuby: http://www.fxruby.org/

    Fox toolkit: http://www.fox-toolkit.com/

    HTH
    Vasudev
    Vasudev Ram
    Software consulting and training
    http://www.dancingbison.com
    PDF creation/conversion toolkit:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf

    vasudevram, Aug 10, 2006
  4. Satish Talim

    John Lam Guest

    It depends on whether you want cross-platform or not. If you don't
    care, you can use RubyCLR with Windows Forms or the new Windows
    Presentation Foundation libraries.

    See this for a screenshot of a WPF version of irb:
    http://www.iunknown.com/articles/2006/07/27/oscon-day-3-and-a-better-ruby-ide

    That should give you a better idea of what's possible using WPF (and
    that's really just scratching the surface of WPF).

    The downside of WPF is that it's insanely overengineered and complex -
    think of it as a low-level rendering library and you'll do fine. To
    get stuff done, use Windows Forms.

    -John
    http://www.iunknown.com

    John Lam, Aug 10, 2006
  5. Satish Talim

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On 8/10/06, vasudevram <> wrote:

    > I saw somewhere on the Net recently that wxRuby development is slow or
    > stopped - not sure why, and unlike wxPython - though both wxRuby and
    > wxPython are based on the same underlying wxWindows/wxWidgets C++
    > cross-platform GUI toolkit).

    wxRuby development is slow (at times), but definitely not stopped.

    FXRuby is probably a good choice for you to check out if you need to
    get started with something right now. As GUI toolkits for Ruby go,
    it's relatively mature and stable. Other good choices to check out are
    Ruby/GTK and Ruby/Qt (in addition to the previously mentioned
    Ruby/Tk).

    Lyle Johnson, Aug 10, 2006
  6. On 8/10/06, Satish Talim <> wrote:
    > I am new to Ruby and wanted to explore ways to create a GUI (on
    > Windows) in Ruby. What I have gathered so far is that the following
    > libraries exist to create a GUI:
    >
    > a. Ruby Tk - it's language-independent, cross-platform and comes
    > standard with most Ruby distributions. However, there is no Ruby/Tk
    > book or documentation to make good use of this library, especially
    > since I have no Perl background.
    >
    > b.wxRuby - It's a third party download and works on Windows, Unix and
    > Mac OS X. It has many more features than Tk but the writing code in it
    > is quite complex.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > a. Is my above brief assessment correct?
    > b. Is there a book or documentation on Ruby/Tk?
    > c. Is there any good documentation on wxRuby
    > d. Which according to the experts here, is the best library to use to
    > build GUI on Windows and why?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Satish Talim

    fxruby is quite good. has been the best gui binding for ruby for a
    long time. now there are pretty many alternatives: beside what you
    already mentioned there are also good ruby bindings for GTK and Qt.

    to answer your last question: there is no best toolkit. there may be a
    best one for a specific purpose. i remember an article at freshmeat
    that compared gui toolkits. i chose my preferred toolkit (fxruby) with
    help of the information gathered there.
    http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/928/

    there is quite an introductory document for the fxruby toolkit for its
    gui builder foxGUIb:
    foxGUIb: http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/
    User Guide: http://www.mikeparr.info/rubyguib/foxguibhome.htm

    hope this helps,