Ruby and Mobile

SunRaySon

Are there any ruby applications that are written for mobile devices
and is there any good framework that helps in developing applications
for mobile devices.

Kiran Kumar

Guido Sohne

Are there any ruby applications that are written for mobile devices
and is there any good framework that helps in developing applications
for mobile devices.

I've written some Ruby applications that use Rails to deliver SMS
applications running under Kannel. I think you are after something
different, which may be running Ruby on the mobile device itself. I
haven't heard much about that but most of the devices now will not run
such a heavy interpreter process comfortably.

-- G.

Justin Collins

SunRaySon said:
Are there any ruby applications that are written for mobile devices
and is there any good framework that helps in developing applications
for mobile devices.

Kiran Kumar

There is the WinCE version of Ruby, which some people have gotten
working on their mobile devices (do a search for those). Other than
that, I don't think there is much.

-Justin

Olivier Renaud

Le dimanche 18 mars 2007 07:26, SunRaySon a =E9crit=A0:
Are there any ruby applications that are written for mobile devices
and is there any good framework that helps in developing applications
for mobile devices.

Kiran Kumar

I'm not sure that it will be useful for you, but some programs on the gp2x =
are=20
written in ruby. Gp2x is a handled console from corea running linux on ARM=
=20
processor. The ruby interpreter runs on it, and some libs too, like rubygam=
e.

I have a gp2x, but I haven't tried yet... I'll take some time to play with=
=20
ruby on it, one day :)

=2D-=20
Olivier Renaud

SunRaySon

This is very encouraging. I am looking at something like this for a
while as I am not very comfortable with high level languages like
C/C++ and Java. I am very thankful to all of you for your inputs on
this mail.

Now I have another question in this regard. I would like to try some
sample applications to get myself familiar with the mobile environment
(I would definitely try the samples on the Symbian website). Can
anyone suggest some good applications / libraries / exercises so that
I can get familiar with mobile computing environment.

Thank you all once again for your contributions.

Kiran Kumar