Ruby and OpenSSL: no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

Redd Vinylene

I'm getting this error on Cygwin when trying to run this tiny little Rails app:

/script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:253:in
`require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

I have both the openssl and openssl-devel packages installed. There's
even an openssl.so in /lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin. I don't know about
libopenssl-ruby though, it only seems to exist for Debian and Ubuntu.

Anybody got a clue? Have a nice weekend y'all.

Redd Vinylene

I'm getting this error on Cygwin when trying to run this tiny little Rails app:

./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:253:in
`require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

I have both the openssl and openssl-devel packages installed. There's
even an openssl.so in /lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin. I don't know about
libopenssl-ruby though, it only seems to exist for Debian and Ubuntu.

Anybody got a clue? Have a nice weekend y'all.

I just tried compiling/installing openssl-0.9.8i-1 manually, but that
didn't work either.

Michael Guterl

I just tried compiling/installing openssl-0.9.8i-1 manually, but that
didn't work either.
I'm no expert in this arena, but you may need to recompile ruby after
installing openssl.

HTH,
Michael Guterl

Marc Heiler

Yeah, good idea, but sorry, it made no difference.

Did you

(a) compile OpenSSL first and ensured that it worked

(b) then tried to compile the OpenSSL extension within the ext/ dir?

For me on Linux box this route always works.

What is the prefix of both ruby and openssl you use?

Robert Klemme

2008/10/18 Redd Vinylene said:
I'm getting this error on Cygwin when trying to run this tiny little Rails app:

./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:253:in
`require_frameworks': no such file to load -- openssl (RuntimeError)

I have both the openssl and openssl-devel packages installed. There's
even an openssl.so in /lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin. I don't know about
libopenssl-ruby though, it only seems to exist for Debian and Ubuntu.

Anybody got a clue? Have a nice weekend y'all.

Maybe you got your environment messed up. Did you try adding
/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin to RUBYLIB?

robert

Jakub Pawlowicz

Robert said:
Maybe you got your environment messed up. Did you try adding
/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin to RUBYLIB?

robert

Robert - thanks for the tip.
Setting it up via 'export RUBYLIB=/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin' did the
trick!

Jakub