Ruby bindings

Elias Athanasopoulos

Hello!

Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.

Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
describing the process, except the Ruby sources?

So far I have only the ruby-gtk+ sources, which, IMHO, is a
heavy project and I have no clue if the ruby-gtk+ folks follow
a standard model or something else (for performance reasons).

Regards,

Phil Tomson

Hello!

Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.

Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
describing the process, except the Ruby sources?

So far I have only the ruby-gtk+ sources, which, IMHO, is a
heavy project and I have no clue if the ruby-gtk+ folks follow
a standard model or something else (for performance reasons).

I would probably use Swig ( http://www.swig.org ) to wrap a fairly large,
already existin library. The Ruby/swig docs at that site are pretty good
and should get you started. There's also a swig mailing list that can
answer your questions.

Phil

Joel VanderWerf

Elias said:
Hello!

Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.

Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
describing the process, except the Ruby sources?

If you mean process in the sense of executable software, SWIG/Ruby is great:

http://www.swig.org/
http://www.swig.org/Doc1.3/Ruby.html