    --
    University of Athens I bet the human brain
    Physics Department is a kludge --Marvin Minsky

    Elias Athanasopoulos, Nov 3, 2003

  2. http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ext_ruby.html

    On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 03:29:44AM +0900, Elias Athanasopoulos wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
    > access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
    > Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.
    >
    > Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
    > describing the process, except the Ruby sources?
    >
    > So far I have only the ruby-gtk+ sources, which, IMHO, is a
    > heavy project and I have no clue if the ruby-gtk+ folks follow
    > a standard model or something else (for performance reasons).
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > University of Athens I bet the human brain
    > Physics Department is a kludge --Marvin Minsky

    --
    Daniel Carrera | Aleph-0 bottles of beer on the wall, Aleph-0 bottles
    PhD student. | of beer. Take one down, pass it around, Aleph-0

    Daniel Carrera, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Elias Athanasopoulos

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Elias Athanasopoulos <> wrote:
    >Hello!
    >
    >Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
    >access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
    >Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.
    >
    >Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
    >describing the process, except the Ruby sources?
    >
    >So far I have only the ruby-gtk+ sources, which, IMHO, is a
    >heavy project and I have no clue if the ruby-gtk+ folks follow
    >a standard model or something else (for performance reasons).

    I would probably use Swig ( http://www.swig.org ) to wrap a fairly large,
    already existin library. The Ruby/swig docs at that site are pretty good
    and should get you started. There's also a swig mailing list that can
    answer your questions.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Nov 3, 2003
  4. On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:33:58PM -0500, Daniel Carrera wrote:

    > http://www.rubycentral.com/book/ext_ruby.html

    Wow! Are you the king of the fastest reply? Thanks!

    Regards,

    Elias Athanasopoulos, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Elias Athanasopoulos wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Consider I have a collection of some C++ libs, in which I have
    > access to the actual source code (strict C++). I want to create
    > Ruby bindings and be able to utilize the C++ code through Ruby.
    >
    > Is there a standard process in doing such a thing? Any document
    > describing the process, except the Ruby sources?

    If you mean process in the sense of executable software, SWIG/Ruby is great:

    http://www.swig.org/
    http://www.swig.org/Doc1.3/Ruby.html

    Joel VanderWerf, Nov 3, 2003