    examples.

    Thanks,
    - Charles
    Charles Heizer, Aug 25, 2005

  2. Jared Richardson, Aug 25, 2005

  3. Charles Heizer

    Guest

    , Aug 25, 2005
  4. Charles Heizer

    TLOlczyk Guest

    On 25 Aug 2005 11:01:48 -0700, "Charles Heizer" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I'm new to Ruby and what I have learned has been from the web. Came
    >someone please recommend a good Ruby book to use a a reference and
    >examples.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >- Charles

    http://poignantguide.net/ruby/

    The reply-to email address is .
    This is an address I ignore.
    To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
    interaccess,

    **
    Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

    There is a difference between
    *thinking* you know something,
    and *knowing* you know something.
    TLOlczyk, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Charles Heizer

    Chris Game Guest

    wrote:

    > The most useful book for Ruby is _Programming Ruby The Pragmatic
    > Programmer's Guide, Second Edition_, by Dave Thomas. Around here it's
    > called "the Pickaxe." Here's a link:
    > http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/index.html.
    >
    > After that book, get Hal Fulton's _The Ruby Way_.
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-5181226-8224902?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    Unfortunately the 'Ruby Way' seems unobtainable in the UK (not
    listed as stock by retailers) - is a new edition due?

    --
    Chris Game

    "An exclamation mark is like laughing at your own joke."
    -- F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Chris Game, Aug 26, 2005
  6. On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:57:36 GMT, Chris Game wrote:

    > Unfortunately the 'Ruby Way' seems unobtainable in the UK (not
    > listed as stock by retailers) - is a new edition due?

    http://tinyurl.com/72qv8 (amazon.co.uk) lists the book as available, and
    says it is "usually dispatched within 24 hours". £20.21 including delivery.

    M.
    Michael Vondung, Aug 26, 2005
  7. Charles Heizer wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm new to Ruby and what I have learned has been from the web. Came
    > someone please recommend a good Ruby book to use a a reference and
    > examples.

    Allow me to throw in another vote for _Programming Ruby, Second
    Edition_, by Dave Thomas. Basically, "the Pickaxe" is to the Ruby
    language what "K&R" is to the C language; it's the de facto standard
    Ruby reference book.
    Karl von Laudermann, Aug 26, 2005
  8. Thank you to everyone, I have placed a order for the Pickaxe. I really
    appreciate it.

    - Charles
    Charles Heizer, Aug 26, 2005
  9. Charles Heizer

    Chris Game Guest

    Michael Vondung wrote:

    >> Unfortunately the 'Ruby Way' seems unobtainable in the UK (not
    >> listed as stock by retailers) - is a new edition due?

    > http://tinyurl.com/72qv8 (amazon.co.uk) lists the book as
    > available, and says it is "usually dispatched within 24 hours".
    > £20.21 including delivery.

    Ha! They must have had a new shipload arrive! Thanks for the
    correction.

    Still looking a little old at 2001 printing date. I suppose the same
    was/is true of Perl books though.

    --
    Chris Game

    "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that
    it is comprehensible." -- Albert Einstein
    Chris Game, Aug 26, 2005
  10. Charles Heizer

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Chris Game wrote:
    > Michael Vondung wrote:
    >

    >>>Unfortunately the 'Ruby Way' seems unobtainable in the UK (not
    >>>listed as stock by retailers) - is a new edition due?

    >>http://tinyurl.com/72qv8 (amazon.co.uk) lists the book as
    >>available, and says it is "usually dispatched within 24 hours".
    >>£20.21 including delivery.

    > Ha! They must have had a new shipload arrive! Thanks for the
    > correction.
    >
    > Still looking a little old at 2001 printing date. I suppose the same
    > was/is true of Perl books though.

    Hal's book is still useful if a bit long in the tooth. For that matter,
    I'm showing _my_ age but I like to think I'm still useful :)

    The way to get new Ruby books is to buy current Ruby books. Publishers
    don't want to finance new editions when they've still got stacks of the
    old ones laying around.
    Tim Hunter, Aug 26, 2005
  11. Charles Heizer

    Gene Tani Guest

    Mark Slagell's Teach Yourself in 21 Days is still quite a good book,
    tho it was written for ruby 1.6. And Jack Herrington's Code Generation
    in Action is definitely worth flipping thru once you get familiar with
    ERb and the other tools is uses.
    Gene Tani, Aug 27, 2005
  12. Tim Hunter wrote:

    > The way to get new Ruby books is to buy current Ruby books. Publishers
    > don't want to finance new editions when they've still got stacks of
    > the old ones laying around.

    The Rails book has a border at the bottom of the front cover where it
    states "The Facets of Ruby Series". I hope this indicates that there
    are things to look out for.

    Michael

    --
    Michael Schuerig There is no matrix,
    mailto: only reality.
    Michael Schuerig, Aug 27, 2005
  13. Charles Heizer

    Gene Tani Guest

    forgot to mention: sample chapters of Ruby Way and "21 Days" in
    Informit:

    http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=28781

    Gene Tani, Aug 27, 2005