ruby coding guidelines?

Chris Carter

Is there in the Ruby community anything like "ruby coding convention"?

Google returns two interesting links:
- http://pub.cozmixng.org/~the-rwiki/rw-cgi.rb?cmd=view;name=RubyCodingConvention
- http://www.caliban.org/ruby/rubyguide.shtml#style

Are they "authoritative" for some meaning of the word? :)

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers.

(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? /\ All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema \/ right keys at the right time
There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
those two put together are what most of the community uses

dblack

Hi --

There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
those two put together are what most of the community uses

I'd also point to the standard library (at least most of it :) as a
good source of examples of traditional Ruby style.

David

Stefano Zacchiroli

I'd also point to the standard library (at least most of it :) as a
good source of examples of traditional Ruby style.

That's indeed what I usually do, but a visible document on the net would
be far more reassuring for newbies willing to following the community
best-practices :)

dblack

Hi --

That's indeed what I usually do, but a visible document on the net would
be far more reassuring for newbies willing to following the community
best-practices :)

Like I said, "also" :)

David

James Britt

Chris said:
There is no official/authoritative Style Sheet/Coding Conventions but
those two put together are what most of the community uses

There is also style guide on the RubyGarden wiki
(http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby) , but the wiki doesn't seem to be
responding right now.

--
James Britt

"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute."
- H. Abelson and G. Sussman
(in "The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs)