    quick-references, but is there a comprehensive "slow" reference
    anywhere? None of the quick ones I saw listed those operators.

    Les

    Leslie Viljoen, Jul 29, 2006

  2. Leslie Viljoen

    Jan Svitok Guest

    On 7/29/06, Leslie Viljoen <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I tried to find online explanations for the '%' and '?' operators used

    The ?X syntax is described here:
    http://www.rubycentral.com/book/language.html#UC

    In fact, it's not an operator, it's an integer literal.

    The % operator is described within it's class, String, referencing
    syntax of Kernel#sprintf.

    <rant>When I started with ruby some time ago I was going crazy when I
    looked for something... Some pieces of information are scattered
    across too many places, especially Regexen are mentioned at three
    locations in the pickaxe book (1st edition) and I was hard to remember
    what piece is where. Now I got somewhat accustomed to this, so it's no
    longer a problem for me. Now I mostly use rdoc and sometimes
    zenspider's quickreference for bits that are missing from rdoc (or,
    that I still haven't found there ;-)
    </rant>

    Now, what I want to say is, that maybe it would help to reorganize the
    docs a bit, or maybe just add some index pages to it

    I really appreciate all the hard work which made the current state
    possible, and the gradual enhacements that are being made.

    J.

    Jan Svitok, Jul 29, 2006

  3. >>> sender: "Leslie Viljoen" date: "Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 07:06:17PM +0900" <<<EOQ
    > Hi!

    Hi,

    > I tried to find online explanations for the '%' and '?' operators used
    > by Florian in an earlier post, but could not. The closest I saw were
    > quick-references, but is there a comprehensive "slow" reference
    > anywhere? None of the quick ones I saw listed those operators.

    Here's one nice quick reference I just find a couple of days ago:
    http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/QuickRef.html
    Got that link from this site:
    http://mypage.bluewin.ch/yuppi/links/cheatsheets.html
    which may have references to other ruby quick refs as well, haven't
    taken a really good look at it.

    However, that one is still too quick :) it does not explain what you
    need, but here is a short explanation:

    ? is a conditional operator, e.g.

    a = (1 == 2) ? 3 : 4 # => 4

    % usually wears two hats... one is