Ruby comprehensive "slow" reference

Leslie Viljoen

Hi!

I tried to find online explanations for the '%' and '?' operators used
by Florian in an earlier post, but could not. The closest I saw were
quick-references, but is there a comprehensive "slow" reference
anywhere? None of the quick ones I saw listed those operators.

Les

Jan Svitok

Hi!

I tried to find online explanations for the '%' and '?' operators used

The ?X syntax is described here:
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/language.html#UC

In fact, it's not an operator, it's an integer literal.

The % operator is described within it's class, String, referencing
syntax of Kernel#sprintf.

<rant>When I started with ruby some time ago I was going crazy when I
looked for something... Some pieces of information are scattered
across too many places, especially Regexen are mentioned at three
locations in the pickaxe book (1st edition) and I was hard to remember
what piece is where. Now I got somewhat accustomed to this, so it's no
longer a problem for me. Now I mostly use rdoc and sometimes
zenspider's quickreference for bits that are missing from rdoc (or,
that I still haven't found there ;-)
</rant>

Now, what I want to say is, that maybe it would help to reorganize the
docs a bit, or maybe just add some index pages to it

I really appreciate all the hard work which made the current state
possible, and the gradual enhacements that are being made.

J.

Alexandru E. Ungur

sender: "Leslie Viljoen" date: "Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 07:06:17PM +0900" <<<EOQ
Hi! Hi,

I tried to find online explanations for the '%' and '?' operators used
by Florian in an earlier post, but could not. The closest I saw were
quick-references, but is there a comprehensive "slow" reference
anywhere? None of the quick ones I saw listed those operators.
Here's one nice quick reference I just find a couple of days ago:
http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/QuickRef.html
Got that link from this site:
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/yuppi/links/cheatsheets.html
which may have references to other ruby quick refs as well, haven't
taken a really good look at it.

However, that one is still too quick :) it does not explain what you
need, but here is a short explanation:

? is a conditional operator, e.g.

a = (1 == 2) ? 3 : 4 # => 4

% usually wears two hats... one is