Ruby Conference hotel sold out

Tim Hunter

I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
out.

Anybody have a recommendation for another hotel?

Lyle Johnson

I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
out.

Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

David A. Black

Hi --

I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
out.

Heavens! Thanks for the heads up.
Anybody have a recommendation for another hotel?

There are a couple nearby (and we'll figure out how to shuttle people,
including me, since I haven't reserved yet :)

Homestead Suites
4504 Brookfield Corporate Drive
Chantilly, VA 20151
P: 703-263-3361 or reserve online: http://www.homesteadsuites.com
Select: Virginia (state)
Fairfax/Dulles (metro area)
Dulles/Chantilly (location)

Sierra Suites Chantilly
4506 Brookfield Corp. Drive
Chantilly, VA 20151
703.263.7200
or https://www.sierrasuites.com/rates_reservations/index.asp?loc=chantilly

I haven't blocked rooms at these places (still contacting them), so I would
recommend reserving soon.

David

David A. Black

Hi --

Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

Not enough :) But it's probably our fault; we may have guessed low.

David

Hal Fulton

Lyle said:
Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

I wonder also. I have registered but have not got a room yet.

David/Chad? What are some good alternatives?

Hal

Lyle Johnson

I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
out.

I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
(10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).

I called 703-815-6060 (the number shown at the conference informaiton
page) and the hotel is a Holiday Inn Select (which is not explicitly
stated on the conference information page).

Hope this helps,

Lyle

David A. Black

Hi --

I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
(10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).

I called them right after seeing Tim's post and they said they were
sold out for that weekend. Their website said soldout too. So you may
have been the last one :)

(Not that I discourage people from giving it a try; but I'd keep the
list of alternatives handy :)

David

jim

* Lyle Johnson said:
I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
(10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).

I called 703-815-6060 (the number shown at the conference informaiton
page) and the hotel is a Holiday Inn Select (which is not explicitly
stated on the conference information page).

I just called the number above and they did not have any openings (10:31 CT).
However, I did book with the Homestead suites. BTW, their std
rate was $70. Better than the $89 conf rate listed.

Austin Ziegler

Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

Frankly, I'm not sure how good the block of rooms was in the first
place. When I called, they didn't have any $90 rooms (as per the
conference page) -- only $100 rooms with a king-sized bed. This was
true when I booked last week, and true when I looked at booking (and
seeing if I could get free nights) two weeks ago. This may be
something where the HI didn't do its job properly, but ... I don't
know what sort of situation that places anything in.

-austin

Tim Hunter

Lyle said:
I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
(10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).

I called 703-815-6060 (the number shown at the conference informaiton
page) and the hotel is a Holiday Inn Select (which is not explicitly
stated on the conference information page).

Hope this helps,

Lyle

Hmmm...curious. I called exactly the same number about 10:30AM and got the
"sold out" message. Maybe you got the last room?

David A. Black

Hi --

Hmmm...curious. I called exactly the same number about 10:30AM and got the
"sold out" message. Maybe you got the last room?

Yeah, it's all Lyle's fault. I think he should pay for all our rooms.

:)

David

James Britt

Austin said:
Frankly, I'm not sure how good the block of rooms was in the first
place. When I called, they didn't have any $90 rooms (as per the
conference page) -- only $100 rooms with a king-sized bed. This was
true when I booked last week, and true when I looked at booking (and
seeing if I could get free nights) two weeks ago. This may be
something where the HI didn't do its job properly, but ... I don't
know what sort of situation that places anything in.

FWIW, I called the hotel about a week ago. I was put through to central
reservations; they said the rate was $100. I told them that was wrong;
they suggested I call the hotel and ask for in-house reservations.

The guy there said that he knew of no blocked rooms. He put me through
to Sales. The woman there said that the block, and maybe the
conference, had been canceled. I told her that wrong; she said she
would look into it. She called me back and said all was straightened
out. Blocked rooms, $89 a night.

I wonder, though, if they screwed up in holding the blocked rooms.

Anyway, if you have a reservation, make sure it's a *guaranteed*
reservation. It's still not a *real* guarantee (I worked in the hotel
industry for 20 years), but it makes it less likely that your room will
be given away if you show up late.

James

Chad Fowler

FWIW, I called the hotel about a week ago. I was put through to central
reservations; they said the rate was $100. I told them that was wrong;
they suggested I call the hotel and ask for in-house reservations.

The guy there said that he knew of no blocked rooms. He put me through
to Sales. The woman there said that the block, and maybe the
conference, had been canceled. I told her that wrong; she said she
would look into it. She called me back and said all was straightened
out. Blocked rooms, $89 a night.

I wonder, though, if they screwed up in holding the blocked rooms.

Anyway, if you have a reservation, make sure it's a *guaranteed*
reservation. It's still not a *real* guarantee (I worked in the hotel
industry for 20 years), but it makes it less likely that your room will
be given away if you show up late.

To answer some of these questions, I'll tell you what actually
happened: The hotel employee that we originally worked with left the
company and didn't tidy up before she left. David and I have been
working with the director of sales for the Holiday Inn since then,
slowly cleaning up the mess that was made.

The day you (James) ran into this problem, I called and corrected the
issue on the Holiday Inn side (basically two departments not
communicating clearly).

Today's issue seems to be an unrelated (as David suggests, maybe
computer..) glitch.

Here's hoping we've seen the end of the Holiday Inn SNAFUs. It should
be a really nice place for the conference once we get there :)

Chad