    learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    out.

    Anybody have a recommendation for another hotel?

    Tim Hunter, Aug 19, 2004

  2. On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > out.
    >
    > Anybody have a recommendation for another hotel?

    http://www.dullesexpo.com/guestinfo/hotelinfo/index.htm

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Tim Hunter

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:

    > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > out.

    Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
    far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
    already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

    Lyle Johnson, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Hi --

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Tim Hunter wrote:

    > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > out.

    Heavens! Thanks for the heads up.

    > Anybody have a recommendation for another hotel?

    There are a couple nearby (and we'll figure out how to shuttle people,
    including me, since I haven't reserved yet :)

    Homestead Suites
    4504 Brookfield Corporate Drive
    Chantilly, VA 20151
    P: 703-263-3361 or reserve online: http://www.homesteadsuites.com
    Select: Virginia (state)
    Fairfax/Dulles (metro area)
    Dulles/Chantilly (location)

    Sierra Suites Chantilly
    4506 Brookfield Corp. Drive
    Chantilly, VA 20151
    703.263.7200
    or https://www.sierrasuites.com/rates_reservations/index.asp?loc=chantilly

    I haven't blocked rooms at these places (still contacting them), so I would
    recommend reserving soon.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Hi --

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    > > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > > out.
    > >
    > > Anybody have a recommendation for another hotel?

    > http://www.dullesexpo.com/guestinfo/hotelinfo/index.htm

    Thanks, Austin -- that's great. The two I mentioned (previous post)
    are listed among those, and the people at the conference hotel
    mentioned them as the two closest. But this bigger list may come in
    very handy....

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Hi --

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Lyle Johnson wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    > > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > > out.

    > Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
    > far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
    > already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

    Not enough :) But it's probably our fault; we may have guessed low.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Tim Hunter

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Lyle Johnson wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    >

    >>I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    >>learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    >>out.

    > Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
    > far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
    > already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

    I wonder also. I have registered but have not got a room yet.

    David/Chad? What are some good alternatives?

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Aug 19, 2004
  8. Tim Hunter

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:

    > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > out.

    I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
    (10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
    with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
    30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).

    I called 703-815-6060 (the number shown at the conference informaiton
    page) and the hotel is a Holiday Inn Select (which is not explicitly
    stated on the conference information page).

    Hope this helps,

    Lyle

    Lyle Johnson, Aug 19, 2004
  9. --- Hal Fulton <> wrote:

    > Lyle Johnson wrote:
    > > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter

    > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby

    > Conference hotel only to
    > >>learn that the conference block - and indeed the

    > entire hotel - is sold
    > >>out.

    > > Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people

    > have registered so
    > > far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our

    > block of rooms would
    > > already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they

    > were holding for us?
    >
    > I wonder also. I have registered but have not got a
    > room yet.

    Same here ....

    > David/Chad? What are some good alternatives?

    Is there a possibility of room sharing at any of the
    sites ?

    Thanks,
    -- Shashank

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

    Shashank Date, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Hi --

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Lyle Johnson wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    > > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > > out.

    > I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
    > (10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
    > with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
    > 30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).

    I called them right after seeing Tim's post and they said they were
    sold out for that weekend. Their website said soldout too. So you may
    have been the last one :)

    (Not that I discourage people from giving it a try; but I'd keep the
    list of alternatives handy :)

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Aug 19, 2004
  11. Tim Hunter

    Guest

    * Lyle Johnson <> [2004-08-20 00:24:45 +0900]:

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    > > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > > out.

    > I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
    > (10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
    > with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
    > 30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).
    >
    > I called 703-815-6060 (the number shown at the conference informaiton
    > page) and the hotel is a Holiday Inn Select (which is not explicitly
    > stated on the conference information page).

    I just called the number above and they did not have any openings (10:31 CT).
    However, I did book with the Homestead suites. BTW, their std
    rate was $70. Better than the $89 conf rate listed.

    --
    Jim Freeze

    , Aug 19, 2004
  12. On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:06:45 +0900, Lyle Johnson <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    > > I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > > learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > > out.

    > Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
    > far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
    > already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

    Frankly, I'm not sure how good the block of rooms was in the first
    place. When I called, they didn't have any $90 rooms (as per the
    conference page) -- only $100 rooms with a king-sized bed. This was
    true when I booked last week, and true when I looked at booking (and
    seeing if I could get free nights) two weeks ago. This may be
    something where the HI didn't do its job properly, but ... I don't
    know what sort of situation that places anything in.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Aug 19, 2004
  13. Tim Hunter

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Lyle Johnson wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    >> learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    >> out.

    > I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
    > (10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
    > with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
    > 30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).
    >
    > I called 703-815-6060 (the number shown at the conference informaiton
    > page) and the hotel is a Holiday Inn Select (which is not explicitly
    > stated on the conference information page).
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Lyle

    Hmmm...curious. I called exactly the same number about 10:30AM and got the
    "sold out" message. Maybe you got the last room?

    Tim Hunter, Aug 19, 2004
  14. Room-sharing at Ruby Conference (was: Re: Ruby Conference hotel soldout)

    Hi --On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Shashank Date wrote:

    > Is there a possibility of room sharing at any of the sites ?

    Good idea :)

    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RoomSharing2004

    David
    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Aug 19, 2004
  15. Hi --

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Tim Hunter wrote:

    > Lyle Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    > >> learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    > >> out.

    > > I'm not sure what was going on when you called, Tim, but I just called
    > > (10:21 a.m. Thursday morning) and booked a room at the conference rate
    > > with no problem. This was with a check-in date of Thursday, September
    > > 30 and staying for three nights (check-out on Sunday, October 3).
    > >
    > > I called 703-815-6060 (the number shown at the conference informaiton
    > > page) and the hotel is a Holiday Inn Select (which is not explicitly
    > > stated on the conference information page).
    > >
    > > Hope this helps,
    > >
    > > Lyle

    > Hmmm...curious. I called exactly the same number about 10:30AM and got the
    > "sold out" message. Maybe you got the last room?

    Yeah, it's all Lyle's fault. I think he should pay for all our rooms.

    :)

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Aug 19, 2004
  16. Tim Hunter

    James Britt Guest

    Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:06:45 +0900, Lyle Johnson <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:45:55 +0900, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just tried to make a reservation at the Ruby Conference hotel only to
    >>>learn that the conference block - and indeed the entire hotel - is sold
    >>>out.

    >>Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
    >>far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
    >>already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

    > Frankly, I'm not sure how good the block of rooms was in the first
    > place. When I called, they didn't have any $90 rooms (as per the
    > conference page) -- only $100 rooms with a king-sized bed. This was
    > true when I booked last week, and true when I looked at booking (and
    > seeing if I could get free nights) two weeks ago. This may be
    > something where the HI didn't do its job properly, but ... I don't
    > know what sort of situation that places anything in.

    FWIW, I called the hotel about a week ago. I was put through to central
    reservations; they said the rate was $100. I told them that was wrong;
    they suggested I call the hotel and ask for in-house reservations.

    The guy there said that he knew of no blocked rooms. He put me through
    to Sales. The woman there said that the block, and maybe the
    conference, had been canceled. I told her that wrong; she said she
    would look into it. She called me back and said all was straightened
    out. Blocked rooms, $89 a night.

    I wonder, though, if they screwed up in holding the blocked rooms.

    Anyway, if you have a reservation, make sure it's a *guaranteed*
    reservation. It's still not a *real* guarantee (I worked in the hotel
    industry for 20 years), but it makes it less likely that your room will
    be given away if you show up late.

    James

    James Britt, Aug 19, 2004
  17. Re: Room-sharing at Ruby Conference (was: Re: Ruby Conference hotel sold out)

    Hi,

    --- "David A. Black" <> wrote:

    > Hi --On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Shashank Date wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a possibility of room sharing at any of

    > the sites ?
    >
    > Good idea :)
    >
    > http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RoomSharing2004

    Awesome ... now if only some kind soul(s) ventures on
    the wiki ;-)

    > David

    Thanks, David, for the super-prompt action.

    -- shanko

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    Shashank Date, Aug 19, 2004
  18. Tim Hunter

    Chad Fowler Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:49:11 +0900, James Britt
    <> wrote:

    > Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > >>Good grief. I have a rough idea of how many people have registered so
    > >>far, and based on that it's kinda weird that our block of rooms would
    > >>already be sold out. I wonder how many rooms they were holding for us?

    > > Frankly, I'm not sure how good the block of rooms was in the first
    > > place. When I called, they didn't have any $90 rooms (as per the
    > > conference page) -- only $100 rooms with a king-sized bed. This was
    > > true when I booked last week, and true when I looked at booking (and
    > > seeing if I could get free nights) two weeks ago. This may be
    > > something where the HI didn't do its job properly, but ... I don't
    > > know what sort of situation that places anything in.

    > FWIW, I called the hotel about a week ago. I was put through to central
    > reservations; they said the rate was $100. I told them that was wrong;
    > they suggested I call the hotel and ask for in-house reservations.
    >
    > The guy there said that he knew of no blocked rooms. He put me through
    > to Sales. The woman there said that the block, and maybe the
    > conference, had been canceled. I told her that wrong; she said she
    > would look into it. She called me back and said all was straightened
    > out. Blocked rooms, $89 a night.
    >
    > I wonder, though, if they screwed up in holding the blocked rooms.
    >
    > Anyway, if you have a reservation, make sure it's a *guaranteed*
    > reservation. It's still not a *real* guarantee (I worked in the hotel
    > industry for 20 years), but it makes it less likely that your room will
    > be given away if you show up late.

    To answer some of these questions, I'll tell you what actually
    happened: The hotel employee that we originally worked with left the
    company and didn't tidy up before she left. David and I have been
    working with the director of sales for the Holiday Inn since then,
    slowly cleaning up the mess that was made.

    The day you (James) ran into this problem, I called and corrected the
    issue on the Holiday Inn side (basically two departments not
    communicating clearly).

    Today's issue seems to be an unrelated (as David suggests, maybe
    computer..) glitch.

    Here's hoping we've seen the end of the Holiday Inn SNAFUs. It should
    be a really nice place for the conference once we get there :)

    Chad

    Chad Fowler, Aug 19, 2004
  19. Tim Hunter

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 03:29:18 +0900, Chad Fowler <> wrote:

    > Today's issue seems to be an unrelated (as David suggests, maybe
    > computer..) glitch.

    Probably Perl-related.

    Lyle Johnson, Aug 19, 2004