    myself on this shared hosting, or (c) forget about using plugins that
    require something newer than 1.8.2.

    Any help very much appreciated. Thanks.

    Trevor Turk, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Trevor Turk wrote:
    > I recently tried to run some Rails plugins (techno-weenie's White
    > List) that require a version of Ruby greater than the one Debian is
    > currently using. I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if/when
    > Debian might upgrade to a newer version of Ruby - or if anyone knows
    > if/how to install a newer version on a shared hosting plan
    > (specifically, Media Temple grid server).
    >
    > I'm not trying to start another conversation about what Debian should
    > or should not support. I don't pretend to know anything about that. I
    > just need to figure out if I should (a) wait for Debian, and hopefully
    > Media Temple to upgrade, (b) try to get a newer version running for
    > myself on this shared hosting, or (c) forget about using plugins that
    > require something newer than 1.8.2.
    >
    > Any help very much appreciated. Thanks.

    What's your business model? :)

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Trevor Turk

    Carlos Guest

    [Trevor Turk <>, 2006-12-18 18.43 CET]
    > I recently tried to run some Rails plugins (techno-weenie's White
    > List) that require a version of Ruby greater than the one Debian is
    > currently using. I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if/when
    > Debian might upgrade to a newer version of Ruby - or if anyone knows
    > if/how to install a newer version on a shared hosting plan
    > (specifically, Media Temple grid server).
    >
    > I'm not trying to start another conversation about what Debian should
    > or should not support. I don't pretend to know anything about that. I
    > just need to figure out if I should (a) wait for Debian, and hopefully
    > Media Temple to upgrade, (b) try to get a newer version running for
    > myself on this shared hosting, or (c) forget about using plugins that
    > require something newer than 1.8.2.

    It's the stable release of Debian, so I don't think they'll upgrade Ruby any
    more (save for security patches). The new stable version (with the Ruby
    upgrade) doesn't have a release date yet, so it's better not to wait for it.

    You can try the ruby package (1.8.5) from the "testing" distribution. If
    that won't force you to upgrade too many other packages because of
    dependencies, then that's the way to go.

    If not, you'll need to build your own ruby.

    Good luck.

    Carlos, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Trevor Turk

    Trevor Turk Guest

    On 12/18/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <> wrote:
    > What's your business model? :)

    I'm thinking Digg + Reddit + Flickr + Google. Should be a total no-brainer!

    On 12/18/06, Carlos <> wrote:
    > You can try the ruby package (1.8.5) from the "testing" distribution. If
    > that won't force you to upgrade too many other packages because of
    > dependencies, then that's the way to go.
    >
    > If not, you'll need to build your own ruby.
    >
    > Good luck.

    Thanks very much for the help. I'll start Googling.

    Trevor Turk, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Carlos wrote:
    > [Trevor Turk <>, 2006-12-18 18.43 CET]
    >
    >> I recently tried to run some Rails plugins (techno-weenie's White
    >> List) that require a version of Ruby greater than the one Debian is
    >> currently using. I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if/when
    >> Debian might upgrade to a newer version of Ruby - or if anyone knows
    >> if/how to install a newer version on a shared hosting plan
    >> (specifically, Media Temple grid server).
    >>
    >> I'm not trying to start another conversation about what Debian should
    >> or should not support. I don't pretend to know anything about that. I
    >> just need to figure out if I should (a) wait for Debian, and hopefully
    >> Media Temple to upgrade, (b) try to get a newer version running for
    >> myself on this shared hosting, or (c) forget about using plugins that
    >> require something newer than 1.8.2.
    >>

    > It's the stable release of Debian, so I don't think they'll upgrade Ruby any
    > more (save for security patches). The new stable version (with the Ruby
    > upgrade) doesn't have a release date yet, so it's better not to wait for it.

    It just slipped. "Etch" should be in pretty good shape as far as Ruby is
    concerned, and "Sarge" (current stable) should be fine for the rest.
    > You can try the ruby package (1.8.5) from the "testing" distribution. If
    > that won't force you to upgrade too many other packages because of
    > dependencies, then that's the way to go.
    >
    > If not, you'll need to build your own ruby.

    One thing to watch out for is that Debian "testing" doesn't guarantee
    security updates like "stable" does. So ... things like the "p2" level
    may not necessarily be in there until there's a formal release of "Etch".

    Just out of curiosity, how many hosting companies are there that run
    Debian these days? I thought most of them were running Fedora Core on
    the Linux side.

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Trevor Turk

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Dec 18, 2006, at 09:43, Trevor Turk wrote:

    > I'm wondering if anyone happens to know if/when Debian might
    > upgrade to a newer version of Ruby

    Wouldn't a Debian packaging mailing list be most suitable for this
    question?

    > or if anyone knows if/how to install a newer version on a shared
    > hosting plan
    > (specifically, Media Temple grid server).

    Wouldn't a Media Temple support mailing list be most suitable for
    this question?

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://blog.segment7.net

    I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!