    are these gems, I can't seem to find anything about them.

    Thanks
    Brian

    Brian Wolf, Feb 23, 2010

  2. > I'm new to ruby, I'm trying to clarify some install instructions:

    > "Don't forget to install ruby-dev to and mkmf gem."
    >
    > are these gems, I can't =C2=A0seem to find anything about them.

    Hi,

    Those are packages you should install if your copy of ruby is from a
    package manager (like apt in Ubuntu/Debian, yum in Fedora, etc). If
    you are running on Windows or building from source I don't think you
    have to worry about those.

    -Jonathan Nielsen

    Jonathan Nielsen, Feb 23, 2010

  3. Brian Wolf

    Brian Wolf Guest

    Jonathan Nielsen wrote:
    >> I'm new to ruby, I'm trying to clarify some install instructions:
    >>
    >> "Don't forget to install ruby-dev to and mkmf gem."
    >>
    >> are these gems, I can't  seem to find anything about them.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Those are packages you should install if your copy of ruby is from a
    > package manager (like apt in Ubuntu/Debian, yum in Fedora, etc). If
    > you are running on Windows or building from source I don't think you
    > have to worry about those.
    >
    > -Jonathan Nielsen

    Hi,

    I'm doing this on dreamhost, which is a debian system.I listed the
    installed gems, these didn't come up.

    Thanks
    Brian

    Brian Wolf, Feb 23, 2010