Ruby <-> digital camera

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bil Kleb, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. Bil Kleb

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Bil Kleb, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Bil Kleb wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can someone point me to some search terms for finding
    > Ruby people or libraries that have used Ruby to grab
    > images from a digital camera?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=ruby exif

    HTH

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Aug 22, 2006

  3. On 8/22/06, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    > Bil Kleb wrote:
    > > Can someone point me to some search terms for finding
    > > Ruby people or libraries that have used Ruby to grab
    > > images from a digital camera?

    > http://www.google.com/search?q=ruby exif

    That sort of thing will mostly help getting metadata out of pictures,
    not necessarily getting the pictures from the hardware.

    (I have an article that I'm working on talking about EXIFR.)

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler * * http://www.halostatue.ca/
    * * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/

    Austin Ziegler, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Bil Kleb

    Jan Svitok Guest

    On 8/22/06, Bil Kleb <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can someone point me to some search terms for finding
    > Ruby people or libraries that have used Ruby to grab
    > images from a digital camera?
    >
    > Our iHeat program,
    >
    > http://hdl.handle.net/2002/11932
    >
    > may be in need of some Ruby assistance.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Bil
    > http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov

    1. This thread may of interest to you. Although it seems it went
    nowhere. http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/86336
    gphoto2 is a linux application that (I suppose) allows controlling the
    camera in addition to downloads.

    2. Usb storage and/or some PTP protocol (whatever it is)
    to download photos from normal (consumer) cameras. So mount, cp ;-)

    J.

    Jan Svitok, Aug 23, 2006
  5. On 23.08.2006 05:27, Austin Ziegler wrote:
    > On 8/22/06, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    >> Bil Kleb wrote:
    >> > Can someone point me to some search terms for finding
    >> > Ruby people or libraries that have used Ruby to grab
    >> > images from a digital camera?

    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=ruby exif

    > That sort of thing will mostly help getting metadata out of pictures,
    > not necessarily getting the pictures from the hardware.

    Well, strictly speaking you are correct. IMHO "getting files from a
    digicam" is nothing but a simple file copy. But to do that in a nice
    way and not store all pictures in the same location access to EXIF
    information is crucial. With that you can place pictures based on
    creation time, modification time, tags and any other number of criteria
    derived from EXIF info ("put all pictures with manual white balance
    taken after 8:00pm into folder EveningShots").

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Aug 23, 2006