Ruby/DL tutorial

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Benjamin Peterson, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. Benjamin Peterson, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Ruby/DL is a feature I plan to use often ... yes, I'd really like to see it.

    --MPD

    Michael DeHaan, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Benjamin Peterson

    Kevin Howe Guest

    "Michael DeHaan" <> wrote in message
    > Ruby/DL is a feature I plan to use often ... yes, I'd really like to see

    it.

    I'll second that, the more DL documentation the better :)

    kh

    Kevin Howe, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Benjamin Peterson

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Benjamin Peterson <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
    >the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

    Yes Please!

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Nov 24, 2004
  5. On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 13:42, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
    > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?
    >
    > Benjamin

    Definitly!

    Guillaume.

    Guillaume Marcais, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Benjamin Peterson

    Dave Burt Guest

    +1

    Dave Burt, Nov 24, 2004
  7. Dave Burt ha scritto:
    > +1

    takers.succ!

    gabriele renzi, Nov 24, 2004
  8. Benjamin Peterson

    Sam Roberts Guest

    Quoteing , on Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 04:38:00AM +0900:
    > "Michael DeHaan" <> wrote in message
    > > Ruby/DL is a feature I plan to use often ... yes, I'd really like to see

    > it.
    >
    > I'll second that, the more DL documentation the better :)

    Me, too. I'm planning on using it soon, I think it does what I need, but
    some docs would help me figure that out!

    Sam

    Sam Roberts, Nov 24, 2004
  9. Benjamin Peterson

    J. D. Guest

    Benjamin Peterson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
    > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?
    >
    > Benjamin

    Thanks! But I'm getting a 403 FORBIDDEN error when I try to look at the
    samples...

    J. D., Nov 24, 2004
  10. Benjamin Peterson

    Luc Heinrich Guest

    Benjamin Peterson <> wrote:

    > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
    > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

    I have the japanese PDF, and all I can read in it is the ruby code. A
    translation would definitely be welcome to provide some context :)

    Speaking of which, is there any way to handle variadic function
    generically ? That is, instead of re-fetching the symbol each time with
    a different signature ? I guess that this would mean that Ruby/DL would
    have to guess how to translate each parameters to their C equivalent and
    that there would be some cases where it wouldn't be possible to do it
    automatically. Maybe by passing a signature when *calling* the symbol in
    some way ? Thoughts ?

    --
    Luc Heinrich -

    Luc Heinrich, Nov 25, 2004
  11. Benjamin Peterson

    Guest

    Yes. Pretty, please!

    , Nov 25, 2004
  12. Benjamin Peterson <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
    > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

    Yes!!!

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Nov 26, 2004
  13. (Benjamin Peterson) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
    > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?
    >
    > Benjamin

    Hi,

    Well, that's a lot of takers. Trouble is, I am having difficulty in
    converting the pdf to a usable form (ie HTML -- even MS Word would
    do). I tried pdftohtml.exe and the adobe online pdf-to-html service,
    and they both choked on it completely.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Peterson, Nov 26, 2004
  14. Benjamin Peterson

    Byron Clark Guest

    --qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

    On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 01:52:56AM +0900, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
    > (Benjamin Peterson) wrote in message news:<986d2608.04112=

    > > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
    > > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

    >=20
    > Well, that's a lot of takers. Trouble is, I am having difficulty in
    > converting the pdf to a usable form (ie HTML -- even MS Word would
    > do). I tried pdftohtml.exe and the adobe online pdf-to-html service,
    > and they both choked on it completely.
    >=20

    It looks like google does a pretty good conversion to html for that doc.
    Sorry about the long link.

    http://216.239.57.104/search?q=3Dcache:5ijaNMyJozIJ:ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl-=
    doc-ja/rbdl.pdf+&hl=3Den

    --=20
    --------------------------------+-----------------------------------
    Byron Clark | http://www.byronandannie.net
    |=20
    --------------------------------+-----------------------------------
    GnuPG Fingerprint: 0365 6979 6C3E BC0C 56C0 FB7F 12B3 75DD 042B EA68

    --qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

    --qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--

    Byron Clark, Nov 26, 2004
  15. Byron Clark <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 01:52:56AM +0900, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
    > > (Benjamin Peterson) wrote in message news:<986d2608.04112

    > > > Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
    > > > the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

    > > Well, that's a lot of takers. Trouble is, I am having difficulty in
    > > converting the pdf to a usable form (ie HTML -- even MS Word would
    > > do). I tried pdftohtml.exe and the adobe online pdf-to-html service,
    > > and they both choked on it completely.
    > >

    > It looks like google does a pretty good conversion to html for that doc.
    > Sorry about the long link.
    >
    > http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:5ijaNMyJozIJ:ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl-
    > doc-ja/rbdl.pdf+&hl=en

    Wow, that's rather impressive... well done google. Trouble is, every
    single line is in a seperate div tag with absolute positioning, which
    makes it look just like the pdf, but when it gets translated every
    line will have to be fixed to be the right length -- a task far bigger
    than the translation. I think I'll just adopt the following
    methodology:

    1 -- Cut and paste into vim.
    2 -- Apply basic h1 and h2 tags in about the right place.
    3 -- Indent the code samples with a little sprinkle o' vim magic.
    4 -- Translate it.
    5 -- (optional) Go on a mystic quest to discover why anyone creates a
    document and then pdf encrypts it in the first place.

    So, I'll probably do that for Monday.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Peterson, Nov 27, 2004