Ruby/DL tutorial

Michael DeHaan

Ruby/DL is a feature I plan to use often ... yes, I'd really like to see it.

--MPD

Kevin Howe

Michael DeHaan said:
Ruby/DL is a feature I plan to use often ... yes, I'd really like to see
it.

I'll second that, the more DL documentation the better :)

kh

Sam Roberts

Quoteing (e-mail address removed), on Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 04:38:00AM +0900:
it.

I'll second that, the more DL documentation the better :)

Me, too. I'm planning on using it soon, I think it does what I need, but
some docs would help me figure that out!

Sam

Luc Heinrich

Benjamin Peterson said:
Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

I have the japanese PDF, and all I can read in it is the ruby code. A
translation would definitely be welcome to provide some context :)

Speaking of which, is there any way to handle variadic function
generically ? That is, instead of re-fetching the symbol each time with
a different signature ? I guess that this would mean that Ruby/DL would
have to guess how to translate each parameters to their C equivalent and
that there would be some cases where it wouldn't be possible to do it
automatically. Maybe by passing a signature when *calling* the symbol in
some way ? Thoughts ?

Benjamin Peterson

Hi,

Would there be any takers if I made a rough English translation of
the Ruby/DL tutorial at http://ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl.html?

Benjamin

Hi,

Well, that's a lot of takers. Trouble is, I am having difficulty in
converting the pdf to a usable form (ie HTML -- even MS Word would
do). I tried pdftohtml.exe and the adobe online pdf-to-html service,
and they both choked on it completely.

Benjamin

Byron Clark

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

(e-mail address removed) (Benjamin Peterson) wrote in message news:<986d2608.04112= (e-mail address removed)>...
=20
Well, that's a lot of takers. Trouble is, I am having difficulty in
converting the pdf to a usable form (ie HTML -- even MS Word would
do). I tried pdftohtml.exe and the adobe online pdf-to-html service,
and they both choked on it completely.
=20

It looks like google does a pretty good conversion to html for that doc.
Sorry about the long link.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=3Dcache:5ijaNMyJozIJ:ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl-=
doc-ja/rbdl.pdf+&hl=3Den

--=20
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------
Byron Clark | http://www.byronandannie.net
(e-mail address removed) |=20
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint: 0365 6979 6C3E BC0C 56C0 FB7F 12B3 75DD 042B EA68

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--

Benjamin Peterson

Byron Clark said:
It looks like google does a pretty good conversion to html for that doc.
Sorry about the long link.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:5ijaNMyJozIJ:ttsky.net/ruby/ruby-dl-
doc-ja/rbdl.pdf+&hl=en

Wow, that's rather impressive... well done google. Trouble is, every
single line is in a seperate div tag with absolute positioning, which
makes it look just like the pdf, but when it gets translated every
line will have to be fixed to be the right length -- a task far bigger
than the translation. I think I'll just adopt the following
methodology:

1 -- Cut and paste into vim.
2 -- Apply basic h1 and h2 tags in about the right place.
3 -- Indent the code samples with a little sprinkle o' vim magic.
4 -- Translate it.
5 -- (optional) Go on a mystic quest to discover why anyone creates a
document and then pdf encrypts it in the first place.

So, I'll probably do that for Monday.

Benjamin