ruby-doc.org URL-based Documentation Queries not working?

James Britt

CT said:
Hi all,
Is the URL based query feature working? I tried the sample query on the page,
http://www.ruby-doc.org/find/ri/Array , but I keep getting a blank page.

This may have broke with a Ruby upgrade. I'll go take a look.
Also, ruby-doc's one hell of a repository. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, and special thanks go to those who create the documentation,
FAQs, bundles, translations, format conversions, and all the real content.

James

James Britt

James said:
This may have broke with a Ruby upgrade. I'll go take a look.

It appears that the -f Tagged option is no longer part of ri.

If that is indeed the case (I'm checking this in the Ruby CVS code now)
than I need to find another way to parse and display the output of ri.

(Or parse the data files directly, but then I lose many of the the
benefits of ri itself).

James

Dave Thomas

If that is indeed the case (I'm checking this in the Ruby CVS code
now) than I need to find another way to parse and display the output
of ri.

The new version doesn't, but it would be fairly easy to add it you
wanted to. Or, you could just use

ri -f html

Cheers

Dave

James Britt

Dave said:
The new version doesn't, but it would be fairly easy to add it you
wanted to. Or, you could just use

ri -f html

That might work; I'll need to adjust the markup.

Odd. On my laptop, running ruby 1.8-1 (2004-01-27) -from the one-click
installer, it works. On my Windows PC, running what appears to be the
same thing, I get

Cannot load output format 'html'

Both my Windows machines have seen various reinstalls of assorted
versions of the one-click installer due to issues with some releases.
The html formatter might not have been part of all of them.

My Linux box has ruby 1.8.1 (2003-2-25), and no 'html' formatter

Ruby-doc.org is running ruby 1.9.0 (2004-01-10) and it, too, complains
about 'html'

It appears to be part of 1.8.2, though.

Thanks,

James

Dave Thomas

Odd. On my laptop, running ruby 1.8-1 (2004-01-27) -from the one-click
installer, it works. On my Windows PC, running what appears to be the
same thing, I get

Cannot load output format 'html'

1. What does ri -v say?

2. If you do ri -h, what formatters are listed?

I'm guessing there's an older version of the ri libraries in your path
somewhere.

Cheers

Dave

James Britt

Dave said:
1. What does ri -v say?

On the laptop, which supports -f html, I get
c:\>ri -v
invalid option -- v
For help on options, try 'ri --help'

Likewise for ruby-doc.org.

They both respond to ri -h with

--format, -f <name>
Format to use when displaying output:
plain, bs, ansi
Use 'bs' (backspace) with most pager programs.
To use ANSI, either also use the -T option, or
tell your pager to allow control characters
(for example using the -R option to less)

The Win2K PC tells me ri -v is 1.8a
but ri -h comes up as an invalid option.
I'm guessing there's an older version of the ri libraries in your path
somewhere.

Yes, that would seem so. I'm likely going to run 1.8.2 on ruby-doc.org,
and that appears to include the html formatter. I may then add a new
formatter to emit xhtml.

Thanks,

James