Ruby Documentation

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tom Wardrop, Sep 9, 2010.

  1. Tom Wardrop

    Tom Wardrop Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm looking to move from PHP to Ruby as my web development platform of
    choice. Over the years, I've become very fond of PHP's documentation
    simply because it's easy to find the information your after, and the
    user comments can really come in handy. I used the documentation as an
    API reference mainly, which is exactly what I plan to use Ruby's
    documentation for. I'm a little unimpressed however by the API reference
    found here on the Ruby website: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/

    I'm wondering if this is what everyone refers to when checking up on the
    API, or if there's another means by which you access this information. I
    personally am finding the documentation linked to above a pain in the
    ass to search and navigate so I'm hoping there's something better out
    there somewhere, preferably that doesn't use god damn frames; god damn
    usability nightmare they are.

    Cheers,
    Tom
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Tom Wardrop, Sep 9, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tom Wardrop

    Tom Wardrop Guest

    Christopher Dicely wrote:
    > Ruby is usually bundled with docs (usually, for the included ri tool,
    > though RubyInstaller on Windows has CHM docs, instead.)


    Thanks Chris. I just found the CHM documentation on my Windows 7 box as
    it's much much better than the online documentation. It actually
    mentions class inheritance.
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Tom Wardrop, Sep 9, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hi Tom,

    Tom Wardrop <> wrote:

    > I'm a little unimpressed however by the API reference
    > found here on the Ruby website: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/
    >
    > I'm wondering if this is what everyone refers to when checking up on the
    > API, or if there's another means by which you access this information.


    A new way to see the doc appeared some weeks ago with
    http://rubydoc.info/, but it seems to be out at the moment I write
    this...

    Another tool I use is http://railsapi.com/. There is a link "build your
    custom package" where you can prepare your pakcage (Rails, Ruby and/or
    other gems), download it and have it online with a search field as the
    one online for Rails :
    http://railsapi.com/doc/rails-v3.0.0/

    HTH
    --
    @lex
     
    Alexandre Friquet, Sep 9, 2010
    #3
  4. Tom Wardrop

    Rahul Kumar Guest

    Alexandre Friquet wrote:
    > Hi Tom,


    > A new way to see the doc appeared some weeks ago with
    > http://xxx.info/, but it seems to be out at the moment I write
    > this...
    >


    I believe the correct url is http://rdoc.info but even this appears to
    be down.
    I use 1.9.2 but am sadly stuck looking at 1.8.4 docs downloaded long ago
    from the ruby site, viewed using "links" inside a "screen" tab.
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Rahul Kumar, Sep 9, 2010
    #4
  5. Rahul Kumar <> wrote:

    > I believe the correct url is http://rdoc.info but even this appears to
    > be down.


    I think both should work ;)

    > I use 1.9.2 but am sadly stuck looking at 1.8.4 docs downloaded long ago
    > from the ruby site, viewed using "links" inside a "screen" tab.


    Why not donwloading the 1.9.2 pack on http://railsapi.com ? These are
    only simple HTML files with listing and search field ;)

    --
    @lex
     
    Alexandre Friquet, Sep 9, 2010
    #5
  6. Tom Wardrop

    Rahul Kumar Guest

    Alexandre Friquet wrote:
    > Rahul Kumar <> wrote:
    >
    >> I believe the correct url is http://rdoc.info but even this appears to
    >> be down.

    >
    > I think both should work ;)
    >
    >> I use 1.9.2 but am sadly stuck looking at 1.8.4 docs downloaded long ago
    >> from the ruby site, viewed using "links" inside a "screen" tab.

    >
    > Why not donwloading the 1.9.2 pack on http://railsapi.com ? These are
    > only simple HTML files with listing and search field ;)


    I was talking about ruby core and stdlib's for 1.9.2. It seems the above
    link is for rails documentation only.
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Rahul Kumar, Sep 10, 2010
    #6
  7. Clifford Heath, Sep 10, 2010
    #7
  8. Rahul Kumar <> wrote:

    > I was talking about ruby core and stdlib's for 1.9.2. It seems the above
    > link is for rails documentation only.


    Nope, have a look of my first entry on this topic, you can build the
    package you want, so only Ruby 1.9.2 if you want. I diid it so you
    should be able to do so ;-))

    --
    @lex
     
    Alexandre Friquet, Sep 11, 2010
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Cameron Laird
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    662
    Josiah Carlson
    Apr 3, 2004
  2. Kenneth McDonald
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    739
  3. Ksenia Marasanova
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    346
    Andrew Dalke
    Jun 12, 2005
  4. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,218
    Andy Dingley
    Sep 16, 2006
  5. anne001
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    475
Loading...

Share This Page