Ruby Documentation

Tom Wardrop

Hi All,

I'm looking to move from PHP to Ruby as my web development platform of
choice. Over the years, I've become very fond of PHP's documentation
simply because it's easy to find the information your after, and the
user comments can really come in handy. I used the documentation as an
API reference mainly, which is exactly what I plan to use Ruby's
documentation for. I'm a little unimpressed however by the API reference
found here on the Ruby website: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/

I'm wondering if this is what everyone refers to when checking up on the
API, or if there's another means by which you access this information. I
personally am finding the documentation linked to above a pain in the
ass to search and navigate so I'm hoping there's something better out
there somewhere, preferably that doesn't use god damn frames; god damn
usability nightmare they are.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom Wardrop

Christopher said:
Ruby is usually bundled with docs (usually, for the included ri tool,
though RubyInstaller on Windows has CHM docs, instead.)

Thanks Chris. I just found the CHM documentation on my Windows 7 box as
it's much much better than the online documentation. It actually
mentions class inheritance.

Alexandre Friquet

Hi Tom,

Tom Wardrop said:
I'm a little unimpressed however by the API reference
found here on the Ruby website: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/

I'm wondering if this is what everyone refers to when checking up on the
API, or if there's another means by which you access this information.

A new way to see the doc appeared some weeks ago with
http://rubydoc.info/, but it seems to be out at the moment I write
this...

Another tool I use is http://railsapi.com/. There is a link "build your
custom package" where you can prepare your pakcage (Rails, Ruby and/or
other gems), download it and have it online with a search field as the
one online for Rails :
http://railsapi.com/doc/rails-v3.0.0/

HTH

Rahul Kumar

Alexandre said:
I think both should work ;)

Why not donwloading the 1.9.2 pack on http://railsapi.com ? These are
only simple HTML files with listing and search field ;)

I was talking about ruby core and stdlib's for 1.9.2. It seems the above
link is for rails documentation only.

Alexandre Friquet

Rahul Kumar said:
I was talking about ruby core and stdlib's for 1.9.2. It seems the above
link is for rails documentation only.

Nope, have a look of my first entry on this topic, you can build the
package you want, so only Ruby 1.9.2 if you want. I diid it so you
should be able to do so ;-))