Ruby Download options

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Daniel Carrera, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I have finished the first draft of "ooo_extract". A program to extract/search data
    from OpenOffice.org files. I am putting up a project website explaining more clearly
    how it works.

    I am writing the section explaining what Ruby is and where you can get it.

    Q1: Am I right to assume that Ruby 1.8.0 should provide zlib in all platforms?

    Q2: I have a link to the Ruby source, and to the one-click Windows installer. Is
    there an RPM I can get also? What should I do about Macs? I know that OS X comes
    with Ruby. Is it version 1.8.0? Does it come with zlib? If not, where can I get a
    binary Mac installer?

    When the page is done I'll make an announcement.

    Cheers,
    --
    Daniel Carrera | OpenPGP KeyID: 9AF77A88
    PhD grad student. |

    Daniel Carrera, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Alright, good to know. I have mentioned that on the website. This brings up another
    point:

    Does Mac OS X have zlib? Does the one-click Windows installer provide zlib?

    I now that OS X comes with Ruby, but it won't be version 1.8.0, correct? Does OS X
    come with everything needed to compile Ruby? I imagine it does not.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Carrera, Oct 28, 2003

  3. il Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:32:53 +0900, Daniel Carrera
    <> ha scritto::

    >Alright, good to know. I have mentioned that on the website. This brings up another
    >point:
    >
    >Does Mac OS X have zlib? Does the one-click Windows installer provide zlib?

    C:\>irb
    irb(main):001:0> require 'zlib'
    => true

    I think the pragprog installer gives you zlib..

    gabriele renzi, Oct 29, 2003