Ruby DTrace (on OSX Leopard)

Tim Becker

Has anyone had any luck getting it to run?

Neither Instruments nor dtrace -l shows up any of the Joyent probes
that are supposed to be there. I guess I'm just doing something wrong,
but I can only find little blog articles with people cheering that OSX
contains DTrace, no examples of it actually in use.

Running the example script in /Developer/Examples/Ruby/DTrace yield me:

dtrace: failed to compile script ./print_calls.d: line 4: probe
description ruby*:::function-entry does not match any probes

Any ideas?
-tim

Tim Becker

Neither Instruments nor dtrace -l shows up any of the Joyent probes
that are supposed to be there. I guess I'm just doing something wrong,
but I can only find little blog articles with people cheering that OSX
contains DTrace, no examples of it actually in use.

Preliminary experiments show that I need to hook dtrace up with a
running ruby instance. D'uh.
Maybe I should read the documentation... E.g. this:

dtrace -s print_memory_usage.d -p <pid of ruby interpreter>

works, in case someone else couldn't figure it out.
-tim