ruby-fltk project abandoned?

Thursday

I recently switched several of my c++ projects from ___ to FLTK 1.1.7
beta (initial one for licensing reasons, and then all others for
productivity/preference reasons).

The productivity benefits of fltk/fluid seem to be a perfect match for
ruby's famed productivity (and the licensing is similarly liberal--no
need to share code just because it is statically linked to the gui
toolkit while being normal-LGPL regarding modifications to the gui
toolkit itself).

To my dismay, I discovered that ruby-fltk is horribly out-of-date so I
cannot use ruby with my new favorite GUI toolkit!

Are there plans to revitalize the ruby-fltk project? Or is there a
newer project that already took its place?

This might be a good project for a grant...ruby and fltk seem like a
perfect match (licensing, productivity, very active development).

Thursday

Thursday said:
I recently switched several of my c++ projects from ___ to FLTK 1.1.7
beta (initial one for licensing reasons, and then all others for
productivity/preference reasons).

The productivity benefits of fltk/fluid seem to be a perfect match for
ruby's famed productivity (and the licensing is similarly liberal--no
need to share code just because it is statically linked to the gui
toolkit while being normal-LGPL regarding modifications to the gui
toolkit itself).

To my dismay, I discovered that ruby-fltk is horribly out-of-date so I
cannot use ruby with my new favorite GUI toolkit!

Are there plans to revitalize the ruby-fltk project? Or is there a
newer project that already took its place?

This might be a good project for a grant...ruby and fltk seem like a
perfect match (licensing, productivity, very active development).

It appears that Jeremy Henty will be taking over the ruby-fltk project.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6746966&forum_id=500

More:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ruby-fltk/
http://www.fltk.org
http://seriss.com/people/erco/fltk-videos/

Phil Tomson

I recently switched several of my c++ projects from ___ to FLTK 1.1.7
beta (initial one for licensing reasons, and then all others for
productivity/preference reasons).

The productivity benefits of fltk/fluid seem to be a perfect match for
ruby's famed productivity (and the licensing is similarly liberal--no
need to share code just because it is statically linked to the gui
toolkit while being normal-LGPL regarding modifications to the gui
toolkit itself).

To my dismay, I discovered that ruby-fltk is horribly out-of-date so I
cannot use ruby with my new favorite GUI toolkit!

Are there plans to revitalize the ruby-fltk project? Or is there a
newer project that already took its place?

This might be a good project for a grant...ruby and fltk seem like a
perfect match (licensing, productivity, very active development).

Good news/bad news...
I have used some very nice FLTK bindings for Ruby and also a version of fluid that was modified to
spit-out Ruby code instead of C++. It was all very nice...

However, the bad news is that this was all developed at a company and they are hesitant to release
all this wonderful work into the wild... <sigh>

Phil

Jeremy Henty

It appears that Jeremy Henty will be taking over the ruby-fltk
project.

Yes, I am. Like you I liked the project but was frustrated by the
lack of recent development. When I contacted the mailing list the
maintainer quickly announced he no longer wanted to run the project
and asked for volunteers to take it on. I volunteered and no-one else
did, so...

It's early days yet, I am learning up on the Sourceforge facilities
and setting up secure access to my new account there. Then I'll look
at the structure of the CVS repository (I have played with CVS but not
used it in anger). There's a bit of a learning curve to all this but
I think if I aim at the low-hanging fruit (fixing the build, adding
missing methods) I'll be able to release useful code soon.

Please send me any suggestions for what you think most needs to be
done. No-one else has done so yet, so I'm looking at scratching my
own itches so far. I will post a road map to the mailing list next
week.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Lothar Scholz

Hello Jeremy,

JH> Please send me any suggestions for what you think most needs to be
JH> done. No-one else has done so yet, so I'm looking at scratching my
JH> own itches so far. I will post a road map to the mailing list next
JH> week.

Creating a useable automatic build system and provide precompiled
binaries for win32.

And please try to work together with Curt Hibbs so that he adds fltk to
next version of the Windows One Click Installer.

I think that you will get enough feedback once this is done.