    viruses?

    P.S. please nybody have book for networking and sockets? (for coding in
    ruby)
    Luka Lukako, Apr 27, 2008

  2. On 27.04.2008 19:01, Luka Lukako wrote:
    > Anybody know how to writing Keyloggers in ruby, or trojans or other
    > viruses?

    Even if I would, I would not tell you - for obvious reasons.

    > P.S. please nybody have book for networking and sockets? (for coding in
    > ruby)

    It's described in the Pickaxe which is online.

    Cheers

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Apr 27, 2008

  3. Luka Lukako wrote:
    > Anybody know how to writing Keyloggers in ruby, or trojans or other
    > viruses?
    >
    > P.S. please nybody have book for networking and sockets? (for coding in
    > ruby)

    Ruby is a terrible language for writing malware ... go learn Forth. ;)
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Apr 27, 2008
  4. Luka Lukako

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Luka Lukako wrote:
    > Anybody know how to writing Keyloggers in ruby, or trojans or other
    > viruses?

    Well, I don't know much about that field of programming, but if I had to
    guess I'd say that Ruby seems ill-suited for these kinds of
    applications. I mean, it makes it hard to run code surreptitiously when
    the target computer has to have the Ruby interpreter, RubyGems, and
    half-a-dozen gems installed. What are you going to say when the target
    machine's actual owner asks you why he has to install all this stuff?
    "Oh, no reason. Don't worry about it. Pretty please?"

    Also Ruby is, ah, not exactly a speed demon, is it? I'd think that when
    you want your virus to fire itself up and start sending spam you'd want
    it to run quickly, otherwise the target machine's actual owner might
    notice something's wrong.

    All-in-all you're probably better off using some language more suited
    for malware. Like Perl, or Python. Yeah, that's it. Perl. Or Python.
    Either one.

    --
    RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/
    RMagick 2: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/rmagick2.html
    Tim Hunter, Apr 27, 2008
  5. Luka Lukako

    Sammy Larbi Guest

    On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 12:30 PM, S2 <> wrote:

    > M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
    >
    > > Ruby is a terrible language for writing malware ... go learn Forth. ;)

    > or visual basic 6 :)

    Isn't there a requirement that malware be intentional?

    Sam
    Sammy Larbi, Apr 27, 2008
  6. Luka Lukako

    Luka Lukako Guest

    Tim Hunter wrote:
    > Luka Lukako wrote:
    >> Anybody know how to writing Keyloggers in ruby, or trojans or other
    >> viruses?

    > Well, I don't know much about that field of programming, but if I had to
    > guess I'd say that Ruby seems ill-suited for these kinds of
    > applications. I mean, it makes it hard to run code surreptitiously when
    > the target computer has to have the Ruby interpreter, RubyGems, and
    > half-a-dozen gems installed. What are you going to say when the target
    > machine's actual owner asks you why he has to install all this stuff?
    > "Oh, no reason. Don't worry about it. Pretty please?"
    >
    > Also Ruby is, ah, not exactly a speed demon, is it? I'd think that when
    > you want your virus to fire itself up and start sending spam you'd want
    > it to run quickly, otherwise the target machine's actual owner might
    > notice something's wrong.
    >
    > All-in-all you're probably better off using some language more suited
    > for malware. Like Perl, or Python. Yeah, that's it. Perl. Or Python.
    > Either one.

    Thanks you Tim! I think too, for hacking, is perl, python, C++ etc.. but
    not ruby. :)

    But, Why we need ruby? if only he can writing applications, who has
    installed ruby? and for only rails?

    - - -
    WHY WE NEED RUBY?
    - - -

    Luka Lukako, Apr 27, 2008
  7. Luka Lukako wrote:

    > - - -
    > WHY WE NEED RUBY?
    > - - -

    For flamewars. You can build high power lasers with one ruby. Then you
    can use it to start fires from remote locations. So if you and your
    opponent(s) have ruby in your arsenal you can start a flamewar.

    Lionel
    Lionel Bouton, Apr 27, 2008
  8. Luka Lukako

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Luka Lukako wrote:
    > - - -
    > WHY WE NEED RUBY?
    > - - -

    That is a deep metaphysical question that I am unworthy to answer. But
    I'll take a stab at it anyway.

    Perhaps Ruby fills the void that all programmers feel when searching for
    the Answer to web-app, networking, and natural language processing
    Questions. An all-encompassing, overarching, loving programming language
    that is always there for us when it feels like the world - or at least
    that part of the world populated by our bosses and customers - is
    against us.

    Indeed, we could say "If Ruby did not exist, man would be forced to
    invent it."

    Tim Hunter, Apr 27, 2008
  9. Luka Lukako

    darren kirby Guest

    quoth the Luka Lukako:

    > - - -
    > WHY WE NEED RUBY?
    > - - -

    ...because Perl exists.

    -d
    darren kirby, Apr 27, 2008
  10. Luka Lukako

    Luka Lukako Guest

    Tim Hunter wrote:
    > Luka Lukako wrote:
    >> - - -
    >> WHY WE NEED RUBY?
    >> - - -

    > That is a deep metaphysical question that I am unworthy to answer. But
    > I'll take a stab at it anyway.
    >
    > Perhaps Ruby fills the void that all programmers feel when searching for
    > the Answer to web-app, networking, and natural language processing
    > Questions. An all-encompassing, overarching, loving programming language
    > that is always there for us when it feels like the world - or at least
    > that part of the world populated by our bosses and customers - is
    > against us.
    >
    > Indeed, we could say "If Ruby did not exist, man would be forced to
    > invent it."

    Mdaa... It's good answer but not fully :(

    I have ledge one question:
    I just begin learning ruby - so, 1 month, and i can writing, some simple
    program in ruby, and I want to ask you, continue the learning ruby? or
    no and learn other language, example: Python, Perl or Java?

    Thanks and sorry for my bad English :)
    Luka Lukako, Apr 27, 2008
  11. Luka Lukako

    Marc Heiler Guest

    > or no and learn other language, example: Python, Perl or Java?

    Only you can answer that question.

    I think Perl though is inferior to both python and ruby mostly because
    of one problem - readability. PHP has a similar problem but it is much
    easier to understand than perl and at least tried to go to great lengths
    to ensure that the basic functionality stays simple. Ruby is how perl
    should have been many years
    ago (with one exception maybe being "speedy text manipulation" years
    ago... but if old C hackers want to continue using perl *shrug* the
    world wont stand still anyway).

    Java is inferior as well ;-) but the bigger question is, why you put
    Java even inside that list? It does not make much sense for me,
    "scripting languages" vs something huge like java. It feels like
    comparing apples (ruby) to nitrogen-fertilizers on a farm crop (java),
    which eventually leads to other, and possibly bigger, problems (flow
    into sea or ocean).
    Marc Heiler, Apr 27, 2008
    Phillip Gawlowski, Apr 27, 2008
  13. On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 02:33:33AM +0900, Tim Hunter wrote:
    > Luka Lukako wrote:
    >> Anybody know how to writing Keyloggers in ruby, or trojans or other
    >> viruses?

    > Well, I don't know much about that field of programming, but if I had to
    > guess I'd say that Ruby seems ill-suited for these kinds of applications. I
    > mean, it makes it hard to run code surreptitiously when the target computer
    > has to have the Ruby interpreter, RubyGems, and half-a-dozen gems
    > installed. What are you going to say when the target machine's actual owner
    > asks you why he has to install all this stuff? "Oh, no reason. Don't worry
    > about it. Pretty please?"

    Actually, one of the best tools for security research, penetration testing,
    exploit research and the like is Metasploit. Which is completely written in
    Ruby. Aaron Bedra did a talk at Rubyconf 2007 on this very subject, he is
    involved in the metasploit project. He will also be giving a talk at RailsConf
    2008 related to security and rails.

    aaron's talk from 2007 : http://aaronbedra.com/assets/2007/11/11/rubyconf.pdf

    > All-in-all you're probably better off using some language more suited for
    > malware. Like Perl, or Python. Yeah, that's it. Perl. Or Python. Either
    > one.

    I would say it is the complete opposite. In the security research area, Ruby is
    a rising tool. I have several friends in the security realm who are learning
    Ruby specifically to do work with metasploit.

    enjoy,

    -jeremy

    Jeremy Hinegardner
    Jeremy Hinegardner, Apr 27, 2008
  14. Luka Lukako

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Luka Lukako wrote:

    > I have ledge one question:
    > I just begin learning ruby - so, 1 month, and i can writing, some simple
    > program in ruby, and I want to ask you, continue the learning ruby? or
    > no and learn other language, example: Python, Perl or Java?

    Okay, that's a serious question and deserves a serious answer.

    Put down Ruby and study Python for 1 month. Then study Perl 1 month.
    Then Java. In 3 months you'll have your answer, and in the process
    you'll have learned something about 4 programming languages and you will
    have become a better programmer.

    Seriously, there is no one programming language for all programmers and
    all programs. The Pragmatic Programmers used to recommend that we all
    learn a new language every year. The more you have in your "programmer's
    toolkit" the better programmer you'll be.

    Tim Hunter, Apr 27, 2008
  15. Luka Lukako

    Luka Lukako Guest

    >aaron's talk from 2007 :
    >http://aaronbedra.com/assets/2007/11/11/rubyconf.pdf

    Thanks! I just reading and like it. This book is a demo version?
    if yes please upload full version if it's free.

    Tim Hunter wrote:

    > Okay, that's a serious question and deserves a serious answer.
    >
    > Put down Ruby and study Python for 1 month. Then study Perl 1 month.
    > Then Java. In 3 months you'll have your answer, and in the process
    > you'll have learned something about 4 programming languages and you will
    > have become a better programmer.
    >
    > Seriously, there is no one programming language for all programmers and
    > all programs. The Pragmatic Programmers used to recommend that we all
    > learn a new language every year. The more you have in your "programmer's
    > toolkit" the better programmer you'll be.

    Thanks, Man! I like your advise and I'll it...

    Which learn first, python, perl or java? which is more easy?
    1. python
    2. perl
    3. and java?
    Luka Lukako, Apr 27, 2008
    Phillip Gawlowski, Apr 27, 2008
  17. Luka Lukako

    Arlen Cuss Guest

    On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Jeremy Hinegardner <>
    wrote:

    > > All-in-all you're probably better off using some language more suited

    > for
    > > malware. Like Perl, or Python. Yeah, that's it. Perl. Or Python. Either
    > > one.

    > I would say it is the complete opposite. In the security research area,
    > Ruby is
    > a rising tool. I have several friends in the security realm who are
    > learning
    > Ruby specifically to do work with metasploit.

    *whoooosh*

    (also, N.B. malware is not directly equal to `security research', but that's
    not the point)

    In good humour,
    Arlen
    Arlen Cuss, Apr 28, 2008
  18. On 27 Apr 2008, at 19:00, Lionel Bouton wrote:
    > Luka Lukako wrote:
    >
    >> - - -
    >> WHY WE NEED RUBY?
    >> - - -

    > For flamewars. You can build high power lasers with one ruby. Then
    > you can use it to start fires from remote locations. So if you and
    > your opponent(s) have ruby in your arsenal you can start a flamewar.

    That should so be on the language FAQ :)

    Ellie

    Eleanor McHugh
    Games With Brains
    http://slides.games-with-brains.net
    ----
    Eleanor McHugh, Apr 28, 2008
  19. On 27 Apr 2008, at 18:01, Luka Lukako wrote:
    > Anybody know how to writing Keyloggers in ruby, or trojans or other
    > viruses?

    Yes. But if you want to be a 7337 hzx0r and pw0n the net you have to
    figure it out for yourself ;p

    > P.S. please nybody have book for networking and sockets? (for coding
    > in
    > ruby)

    Just google 'ruby sockets', it's hardly privileged information.

    Eleanor McHugh, Apr 28, 2008
  20. On 27 Apr 2008, at 20:30, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
    >> All-in-all you're probably better off using some language more
    >> suited for
    >> malware. Like Perl, or Python. Yeah, that's it. Perl. Or Python.
    >> Either
    >> one.

    > I would say it is the complete opposite. In the security research
    > area, Ruby is
    > a rising tool. I have several friends in the security realm who are
    > learning
    > Ruby specifically to do work with metasploit.

    People thought we were weird at the first RailsConf Europe for talking
    about our Ruby packet-sniffing research, but increasingly security
    hackers are getting dissatisfied with the hoops C++ and Java make you
    leap through. Stuff that takes a week or two in Ruby can take months
    with those languages, and the code is much harder to follow when
    you've finished.

    Ruby. It's where the smart kids play :)

    Eleanor McHugh, Apr 28, 2008