Ruby for mobile phones?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by cyberco, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. cyberco

    cyberco Guest

    Hi,

    I've been doing a lot of work with Java J2ME and one thing that bars
    real innovation is waiting for new API's that open up the phones
    functionality. And if these API are finally released it takes years
    before they are sufficiently spread to build applications with them.
    NOKIA realized this and started to port PYTHON to Symbian (a popular OS
    for mobile terminals). This allows programmers to easily access the
    phones native functionality. Unfortunately this is still a project in
    its pre-alpha state.

    But maybe that's fortunate for the Ruby community. Wouldn't it be great
    if Ruby was ported to mobile (aka limited) terminals as well? That
    would make it more fun to develop for mobile phones and, more
    important, it opens up a very big and lucrative market for Ruby
    developers! Ruby could really shine in this area. It could really boost
    Ruby's popularity.

    Just my 2 cents.
    CyBerco
    cyberco, Jan 22, 2005

  2. Hi !

    Info : Python and Nokia, is only for the series-60.
    And what do you want to know : Ruby on Symbian ? Or Ruby on
    Windows-mobile-2003 (or 2005) ?

    @-salutations
    --
    Michel Claveau
    Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non t, Jan 22, 2005

  3. cyberco

    cyberco Guest

    > Info : Python and Nokia, is only for the series-60.
    > And what do you want to know : Ruby on Symbian ? Or Ruby on
    > Windows-mobile-2003 (or 2005) ?
    >
    > @-salutations
    > Michel Claveau

    Hi Michel,

    Yes, Nokia is currently only targeting their series 60 but will target
    their other models based on Symbian as well (as far as I know). My idea
    was that it would be pretty cool to have Ruby available on the most
    popular mobile OSs such as Symbian (powering most of the Nokia's and
    SonyEricssons) and Windows Mobile. I'm no expert in C++ so I wouldn't
    know if that is even possible, but I suspect so. At least Symbian is
    regular C++ (again, afaik), so that would be a logical starting point.
    Cheers,
    CyBerco
    cyberco, Jan 22, 2005
  4. Hi Antonio,Cyberco,

    Antonio Cangiano wrote:

    > Cyberco you are right, there should be Ruby for mobile devices. Anyone
    > who wants to start a new, great project? :)

    Are you volunteering? One way to do this to front-end OPL i.e. write a
    subset of Ruby which translates to OPL.

    I am also interested in knowing if any such effort has been done in the
    Japanese world ?

    While Googling for this I came across a Russian thread titled "Ruby
    under Symbian":

    http://lists.altlinux.ru/pipermail/ruby/2004-May/001376.html
    http://lists.altlinux.ru/pipermail/ruby/2004-May/001377.html

    Babelfish translation did not give me much of any idea of what it was 'bout.

    I am interested ...let me know.

    > Cheers,

    -- shanko
    Shashank Date, Jan 22, 2005
  5. Shashank Date wrote:

    > While Googling for this I came across a Russian thread titled "Ruby
    > under Symbian":

    Just one guy asking the same question as you are asking. The answer was "no"

    --
    Best regards,

    Alexey Verkhovsky

    Ruby Forum: http://ruby-forum.org (moderator)
    RForum: http://rforum.andreas-s.net (co-author)
    Instiki: http://instiki.org (maintainer)
    Alexey Verkhovsky, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
    > Shashank Date wrote:
    >
    >> While Googling for this I came across a Russian thread titled "Ruby
    >> under Symbian":

    > Just one guy asking the same question as you are asking. The answer was
    > "no"

    Ok. Thanks Alexey ,
    -- shanko
    Shashank Date, Jan 22, 2005
  7. cyberco

    Kero Guest

    > But maybe that's fortunate for the Ruby community. Wouldn't it be great
    > if Ruby was ported to mobile (aka limited) terminals as well? That
    > would make it more fun to develop for mobile phones and, more
    > important, it opens up a very big and lucrative market for Ruby
    > developers! Ruby could really shine in this area. It could really boost
    > Ruby's popularity.

    I have Ruby running on an iPAQ under linux.
    If the iPAQ with built-in GSM were to be supported by linux, life should
    be easy (but it isn't, yet).

    Linux phones in general will allow you easier porting. Some things:
    - you'll need a cross compilation toolchain. gcc is your best chance.
    - the GUI-toolkit should (probably) have a ruby binding already.
    - a CPU of a few 100 MHz is desirable (my 200 MHz strongarm is ok-ish),
    the RAM will then be sufficient, too
    - some way to put the binary on the phone (but with communication
    possibilities, SD cards and whatever, that should not be a problem,
    really (as it is for smaller/embedded devices)

    I am tempted to check out the E2800+ myself... (available in Europe, since
    two weeks or so :)

    +--- Kero ----------------------- kero@chello@nl ---+
    | all the meaningless and empty words I spoke |
    | Promises -- The Cranberries |
    +--- M38c --- http://httpd.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+
    Kero, Jan 22, 2005
  8. How 'bout Ruby for Palm Pilots? Or is that already available? I'd
    personally find much more use for it there than on my phone.

    - Shad

    --

    ----------

    Please do not send personal (non-list-related) mail to this address.
    Personal mail should be sent to .
    Shad Sterling, Jan 22, 2005
  9. cyberco

    cyberco Guest

    | Linux phones in general will allow you easier porting. Some things:

    Hmm... there are not many Linux phones out there. Aiming the linux
    platform would mean a life of obscurity for Ruby Light (LRuby?)

    | - a CPU of a few 100 MHz is desirable (my 200 MHz strongarm is
    ok-ish),
    the RAM will then be sufficient, too

    Most of the current phones are already much faster than that, so that
    shouldn't be a problem.

    Cheers,
    CyBerco
    cyberco, Jan 22, 2005
  10. cyberco

    cyberco Guest

    > How 'bout Ruby for Palm Pilots? Or is that already available? I'd
    > personally find much more use for it there than on my phone.

    I personally feel that PalmPilot support would be great as well, but
    the marketshare of PDA's (compared to mobile phones) and PalmOS devices
    in particular is dropping like a rock. So that's not a very lucrative
    market anymore, if you ask me. The rising stars are Windows Mobile (who
    would have guessed?), Symbian and Linux.

    Cheers,
    CyBerco
    cyberco, Jan 23, 2005
  11. cyberco

    Thursday Guest

    cyberco wrote:
    >>How 'bout Ruby for Palm Pilots? Or is that already available? I'd
    >>personally find much more use for it there than on my phone.

    > I personally feel that PalmPilot support would be great as well, but
    > the marketshare of PDA's (compared to mobile phones) and PalmOS devices
    > in particular is dropping like a rock. So that's not a very lucrative
    > market anymore, if you ask me. The rising stars are Windows Mobile (who
    > would have guessed?), Symbian and Linux.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > CyBerco

    PalmOS is experiencing pretty strong growth in mobile phones. Why carry
    both a PDA and a phone when the two can be combined?
    Thursday, Jan 23, 2005
  12. cyberco

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    cyberco <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I've been doing a lot of work with Java J2ME and one thing that bars
    >real innovation is waiting for new API's that open up the phones
    >functionality. And if these API are finally released it takes years
    >before they are sufficiently spread to build applications with them.
    >NOKIA realized this and started to port PYTHON to Symbian (a popular OS
    >for mobile terminals). This allows programmers to easily access the
    >phones native functionality. Unfortunately this is still a project in
    >its pre-alpha state.
    >
    >But maybe that's fortunate for the Ruby community. Wouldn't it be great
    >if Ruby was ported to mobile (aka limited) terminals as well? That
    >would make it more fun to develop for mobile phones and, more
    >important, it opens up a very big and lucrative market for Ruby
    >developers! Ruby could really shine in this area. It could really boost
    >Ruby's popularity.

    Maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't imagine trying to type in
    Python code into something with a small display like a mobile phone.
    Imagine keeping track of the indentation ;-)
    (OK, I suspect they type the Python code on a regular PC/Mac type machine
    and then download it to the phone, but still...)

    Ruby would seem to be a nice fit for this application.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Jan 23, 2005
  13. cyberco

    cyberco Guest

    > Maybe I'm missing something, but I just can't imagine trying to type
    in
    > Python code into something with a small display like a mobile phone.

    > Imagine keeping track of the indentation ;-)
    > (OK, I suspect they type the Python code on a regular PC/Mac type

    machine
    > and then download it to the phone, but still...)

    Exactly. As with Java (J2ME) you don't write the code on the phone but
    simply download it.

    > Ruby would seem to be a nice fit for this application.

    Exactly. Even if Ruby only offers a very limited set of functionality,
    if it offers something that Java doesn't (like access to the native
    resources such as the phonebook, the filesystem, network information,
    etc.) it will certainly become successful in my eyes.

    Cheers,
    CyBerco
    cyberco, Jan 23, 2005