    optimize Ruby for small devices?

    Thanks to all

    Sarah
    Sarah Tanembaum, Dec 21, 2004

  2. On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 02:42:02AM +0900, Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
    > Well, I just got an ownership of iPAQ h1935 with Pocket PC 2003/Windows
    > Mobile 2003. I was wondering if Ruby run in this platform?
    >
    > It make it easier learning Ruby programming on-the-go. Is it possible to
    > optimize Ruby for small devices?

    I do not have such device and if I did I would try to run GNU/Linux or
    NetBSD on it to get a more useful OS.

    However, if you search for "gcc Pocket PC" with google it finds a
    compiler and as Ruby is fairly portable you should be able to compile
    it.

    You may need additional storage like flash card or whatever goes into
    the device to get enough room for compiling and running ruby.
    Alternatively, you can compile on a network drive if that Windows thingy
    is capable of any networking.

    Crosscompiling for that devices should be also possible, either with gcc
    or some Microsoft tools. But setting up the cross-toolchain is usually
    tricky. On the other hand, the compilation is faster and easier once set
    up.

    Although I would be myself interested and could possibly borrow an
    iPaq for experimenting I lack the time for that right now.

    I hope you or somebody else makes a successful port to make Ruby more
    mobile :)

    Thanks

    Michal Suchanek
    Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Sarah Tanembaum

    Matt Mower Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:46:27 +0900, Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek
    <> wrote:
    > On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 02:42:02AM +0900, Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
    > > Well, I just got an ownership of iPAQ h1935 with Pocket PC 2003/Windows
    > > Mobile 2003. I was wondering if Ruby run in this platform?
    > >
    > > It make it easier learning Ruby programming on-the-go. Is it possible to
    > > optimize Ruby for small devices?

    > I do not have such device and if I did I would try to run GNU/Linux or
    > NetBSD on it to get a more useful OS.
    >
    > However, if you search for "gcc Pocket PC" with google it finds a
    > compiler and as Ruby is fairly portable you should be able to compile
    > it.

    I forgot to respond to this first time round.

    Since the Ruby core is C it may be possible to build the basic
    interpreter using Microsoft Visual C++ for embedded devices. I don't
    have it installed right now but will try to do something about it
    after my exams.

    My idea was to wrap the interpreter in a windowed irb so that you
    could develop simple programs. Library support might be more of a
    challenge but who knows?

    Regards,

    Matt

    --
    Matt Mower :: http://matt.blogs.it/
    Matt Mower, Jan 9, 2005
  4. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:46:27 +0900, you wrote:

    >I do not have such device and if I did I would try to run GNU/Linux or

    that particular operation isn't for the feint of heart...

    >However, if you search for "gcc Pocket PC" with google it finds a
    >compiler and as Ruby is fairly portable you should be able to compile

    there is a version of tcl/tk for the pocket pc..works very nicely and
    somebody has already created a binary for it.

    you might get a command line only version of ruby going on the pocket
    pc...

    i found for all the trouble, it was just as easy to install the free
    evb and write visual basic programs for it...not ruby, but works in a
    pinch...
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
    telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org
    tony summerfelt, Jan 11, 2005