[Ruby Forum] Problems building OpenSSL for Ruby on a Win32 platform

Alexey Verkhovsky

Unanswered question from http://ruby-forum.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=340

QTE
Here's something along these lines I was wondering about. I was looking
to implement Net::SSH to create some GUI admin utilities. My admin
workstation is a Win32 box. I tried installing Net::SSH, the
OpenSSL-snapshot, as well as the Needle package.

Checking the RAA I saw another OpenSSL project called RubyPKI
(http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/openssl). But the download directory
is empty and the project maintainer has an invalid e-mail address. I am
assuming that this is a dead duck? In any event, on to Net::SSH and its
dependencies.

I was able to install both Needle and Net::SSH on my Win32 box, but when
I tried to run the extconf.rb script against the OpenSSL-snapshot I
received an error message stating that the openssl/ssl.h file couldn't
be located. I have copied the OpenSSL C headers into various places
along the search path (e.g. - the root directory of the
OpenSSL-snapshot, the local ruby/include directory, etc.), as well as
appended the PATH to include the OpenSSL C header files. Still no luck.
I also tried running the extconf.rb script using both the --with-debug
and the --with-openssldir=/my/path options. Still no luck.

Here's an excerpt from the mkmf.log file:

--------------------

have_header: checking for openssl/ssl.h... -------------------- no

"cl -IC:/ruby/openssl-snapshot-20040726
-Ic:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I. -I./.. -I./../missing -MD -Zi
-O2b2xg- -G6 conftest.c -P"
checked program was:
/* begin */
#include <openssl/ssl.h>