ruby friendly MOM's

snacktime

I've spent a good deal of time looking for a ruby/python/perl friendly
open source reliable messaging system without much luck. I know
Francis is working on an AMQP based system, and I've taken a look at
reliable-message but that's strictly ruby. ActiveMQ seemed very nice
until I found out that the main connectivity to it from languages
other than java (stomp) is currently broken, and it's overall
stability seems to be a question. Xmlblaster looks fairly good and
supports xmlrpc, corba, and even email along with it's own binary
protocol. The rest that I found such as Mantaray, OpenJMS, and JORAM
either didn't have connectivity outside of java, or had other
limitations such as no durable consumers, etc..

I've also taken a look at just using XMPP, but all the activity around
is it really centered on IM.

Specifically what I need is a durable, reliable publisher/consumer
message queue that also has either some type of distributed broker
setup or even a master/slave architecture. With the emphasis being on
reliable.

Anything out there that I missed?

Chris

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

snacktime said:
[...]

Could this be hacked around the Erlang run-time, which is written in C
IIRC? It's open source, after all. :)

ara.t.howard

[...]

google 'spread'

think it's http:/spread.org/

-a

snacktime

What are your interoperability requirements? Meaning, what kind of non-Ruby
systems do you need to work with? Do you need something with a JMS
interface?

Just perl and ruby. What I'd really like is any kind of messaging
oriented protocol that's easy to implement. Even something like XMPP
would work fine.

Chris

snacktime

That's an interesting way to state it, given that the MOM world has always
been torn between products that are driven by wire-protocols or by APIs,
with the latter being the traditional winners. (AMQP tries to square the
circle by specifying both, which creates its own set of headaches.) How
would you feel about a RESTful approach?

As long as the perl/ruby http libraries can handle pipelining I don't
mind a REST api. I'm assuming most of them do, but maybe I shouldn't.

Chris