Ruby "Game" (Graphics & Sound) Frameworks

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David Brady, Sep 3, 2005.

  1. David Brady

    David Brady Guest

    What's the state of Ruby with regard to "game" frameworks, a la PyGame
    or DirectX?

    Is there an easy way to say "work in a 800x600 window, here's a
    background, here's some sprites, here's a floating 3D model, here's some
    sound" and just have it work?

    My own researches so far:

    There exist some OpenGL bindings for Ruby from someone called "Yoshi"; I
    am unable to determine what state the project is in. The published
    version is 0.32 and none of the files have been touched in a year.

    There is a RubyGame site with a help wanted page but little else in the
    way of telling you what's there. It hasn't reached a packagable state
    yet; I was unable to build the framework. This is probably due to some
    oddities with SDL; I am unable after 20 minutes of fighting with apt to
    determine what SDL components my system has, let alone what version they
    are. (sdl-config is clearly missing, but I cannot see what pkg to use
    to make it not be missing.)

    If you had to do an interactive graphics-and-sound presentation in Ruby
    this weekend, where would you start?

    -dB

    --
    David Brady

    Grizzled C++/Python/Perl hacker. New to Ruby. Take my Ruby statements with the appropriate amount of salt.
    I'm having a really surreal day... OR AM I?

    David Brady, Sep 3, 2005

  2. David Brady

    Peter Thoman Guest

    David Brady wrote:

    > What's the state of Ruby with regard to "game" frameworks, a la PyGame
    > or DirectX?

    I think the most usable framework is RUDL (http://rudl.sourceforge.net/)
    I used it in 3 projects so far and never had any serious problems.

    > Is there an easy way to say "work in a 800x600 window, here's a
    > background, here's some sprites, here's a floating 3D model, here's
    > some sound" and just have it work?

    Everything except the floating 3D model is very easy with RUDL, you'd
    have to render the model with OpenGL on your own. (But RUDL handles the
    OpenGL initialization)

    HTH,
    - Peter

    Peter Thoman, Sep 3, 2005

  3. David Brady wrote:

    > What's the state of Ruby with regard to "game" frameworks, a la PyGame
    > or DirectX?
    >
    > Is there an easy way to say "work in a 800x600 window, here's a
    > background, here's some sprites, here's a floating 3D model, here's some
    > sound" and just have it work?

    Except for the 3D model this is all done by Ruby-Gosu in a very
    Ruby-like way.

    Have a look at http://www.raschke.de/julian/gosu/

    Florian Groß, Sep 3, 2005