Ruby Gmail Chat Group

Jayson Williams

...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.

"Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."

Not endorsing Gmail, or anything, just trying to use what I have to
the fullest. Gmail has a chat feature, and quick contacts window.
Clicking on a contact opens up a direct chat with that user if they
are online.
So what do you think? Are there any community members that have Gmail,
and wouldn't mind helping one another out by adding each other to our
quick contacts list? Does this sound like something that would be
useful to anyone else?

Jayson
(e-mail address removed)

Mohit Sindhwani

Jayson said:
[...]

I'm not a guru - so it's not my place to say... but since I'm not a
guru, I'd request that helping each other happen through the mailing
list/ newsgroup so that I can continue to search for solutions when I
have a problem.. this system maintains good publicly searchable archives!

Just my feeling..

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/26/2007 | 2:23 AM.

brabuhr

...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.

"Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."

Or, alternatives:

Is there still a ruby-lang irc channel:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/62039
?

Something like Lingr or Campfire?

Daniel Schierbeck

--=-Q+m0zGfKXQjFFI/5x4Sp

...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.
=20
"Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."
=20
Not endorsing Gmail, or anything, just trying to use what I have to
the fullest. Gmail has a chat feature, and quick contacts window.
Clicking on a contact opens up a direct chat with that user if they
are online.
So what do you think? Are there any community members that have Gmail,
and wouldn't mind helping one another out by adding each other to our
quick contacts list? Does this sound like something that would be
useful to anyone else?

GMail, and Google Talk, uses the open Jabber protocol. There are
numerous clients and servers available -- you don't have to be a GMail
user.

If something like that should work, though, it probably requires a
dedicated Ruby Jabber server, so that one isn't forced to accept
questions whenever online, but can enable and disable such an account at
will.

Cheers,
Daniel

--=-Q+m0zGfKXQjFFI/5x4Sp

--=-Q+m0zGfKXQjFFI/5x4Sp--

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Daniel said:
GMail, and Google Talk, uses the open Jabber protocol. There are
numerous clients and servers available -- you don't have to be a GMail
user.

If something like that should work, though, it probably requires a
dedicated Ruby Jabber server, so that one isn't forced to accept
questions whenever online, but can enable and disable such an account at
will.

Cheers,
Daniel

For that matter, most of the open source chat clients can get to IRC
these days, can't they? You could head over to the IRC channels. There's
a Ruby IRC library too, isn't there? Some times the "old" ways are best. ;)

Jayson Williams

a Ruby IRC library too, isn't there? Some times the "old" ways are best. ;)<
In fact, most new things are simply old things in new clothing!.
Thanks for the IIRC suggestion. I'll give it a whirl.

Jayson