Ruby-Gtk+ QuestionsSubject:

Bill Atkins

I've been looking into Ruby-Gtk and I'm very impressed with what I've
seen. Before I commit my next project to Gtk, I wanted to see if
anyone on this newsgroup could offer their opinion on Gtk. How well
does it work? Is there anything exceptionally cool about it?

Also, I had a few more objective questions:

1. Is it possible to change the theme for a single Gtk application?
If not, is there any way to customize an application's appearance
(fonts, colors, etc) without resorting to a theme?

2. What problems does Gtk have on Win32? I hear over and over again
that Gtk+ isn't an option because it's buggy on Win32, but in my
(limited) experience, it seemed to run very well. What problems
should I expect?

3. Is there an IRC channel to get quick Gtk answers? #ruby-gnome was
empty the last time I tried.

Thanks,
Bill

Paul van Tilburg

[...] I commit my next project to Gtk, I wanted to see if
anyone on this newsgroup could offer their opinion on Gtk. How well
does it work? Is there anything exceptionally cool about it?

For me it works very well.. the Ruby/GNOME2 Project is progressing
nicely, have a look at:
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/
Also, I had a few more objective questions:

1. Is it possible to change the theme for a single Gtk application?
If not, is there any way to customize an application's appearance
(fonts, colors, etc) without resorting to a theme?

Theming is a GTK native specific thing.
2. What problems does Gtk have on Win32? I hear over and over again
that Gtk+ isn't an option because it's buggy on Win32, but in my
(limited) experience, it seemed to run very well. What problems
should I expect?

I have GTK-only apps working on win32. Ruby 1.8, GTK runtime and
ruby-gtk2 for win32 is required and it works. See also:
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Install+Guide+for+Windows
3. Is there an IRC channel to get quick Gtk answers? #ruby-gnome was
empty the last time I tried.

#ruby-gnome2 on irc.gnome.org is populated, sometimes a bit quiet during
3:00 - 15:00 GMT, but with some patience...
See also the ruby-gnome2 mailinglist.

Paul
[/QUOTE]

Laurent Sansonetti

[...] I commit my next project to Gtk, I wanted to see if
anyone on this newsgroup could offer their opinion on Gtk. How well
does it work? Is there anything exceptionally cool about it?

For me it works very well.. the Ruby/GNOME2 Project is progressing
nicely, have a look at:
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/
Also, I had a few more objective questions:

1. Is it possible to change the theme for a single Gtk application?
If not, is there any way to customize an application's appearance
(fonts, colors, etc) without resorting to a theme?

Theming is a GTK native specific thing.

Maybe the following link can help you:

http://www.rixsoft.com/gimpwin/gtk-themes.html

It should be easy to ship a theme with your application, and force it
to use that theme instead of the default one.
I have GTK-only apps working on win32. Ruby 1.8, GTK runtime and
ruby-gtk2 for win32 is required and it works. See also:
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Install+Guide+for+Windows

Ruby/GTK apps work fine under win32. Unfortunately, all the C
libraries covered by the Ruby-GNOME2 project are not yet officially
ported to win32 (AFAIK GConf, Libgnomeui, etc...). But GTK, Libglade
(to name a few) should work without any problem.