Ruby-Gtk+ QuestionsSubject:

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bill Atkins, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Bill Atkins

    Bill Atkins Guest

    I've been looking into Ruby-Gtk and I'm very impressed with what I've
    seen. Before I commit my next project to Gtk, I wanted to see if
    anyone on this newsgroup could offer their opinion on Gtk. How well
    does it work? Is there anything exceptionally cool about it?

    Also, I had a few more objective questions:

    1. Is it possible to change the theme for a single Gtk application?
    If not, is there any way to customize an application's appearance
    (fonts, colors, etc) without resorting to a theme?

    2. What problems does Gtk have on Win32? I hear over and over again
    that Gtk+ isn't an option because it's buggy on Win32, but in my
    (limited) experience, it seemed to run very well. What problems
    should I expect?

    3. Is there an IRC channel to get quick Gtk answers? #ruby-gnome was
    empty the last time I tried.

    Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill Atkins, Aug 6, 2004

  2. (Bill Atkins) writes:

    > 3. Is there an IRC channel to get quick Gtk answers? #ruby-gnome was
    > empty the last time I tried.

    Try #gtk+ on irc.gnome.org.

    mikael
    Mikael Brockman, Aug 6, 2004

  3. On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:11:27AM +0900, Bill Atkins wrote:
    > [...] I commit my next project to Gtk, I wanted to see if
    > anyone on this newsgroup could offer their opinion on Gtk. How well
    > does it work? Is there anything exceptionally cool about it?

    For me it works very well.. the Ruby/GNOME2 Project is progressing
    nicely, have a look at:
    http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/

    > Also, I had a few more objective questions:
    >
    > 1. Is it possible to change the theme for a single Gtk application?
    > If not, is there any way to customize an application's appearance
    > (fonts, colors, etc) without resorting to a theme?

    Theming is a GTK native specific thing.

    > 2. What problems does Gtk have on Win32? I hear over and over again
    > that Gtk+ isn't an option because it's buggy on Win32, but in my
    > (limited) experience, it seemed to run very well. What problems
    > should I expect?

    I have GTK-only apps working on win32. Ruby 1.8, GTK runtime and
    ruby-gtk2 for win32 is required and it works. See also:
    http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Install Guide for Windows

    > 3. Is there an IRC channel to get quick Gtk answers? #ruby-gnome was
    > empty the last time I tried.

    #ruby-gnome2 on irc.gnome.org is populated, sometimes a bit quiet during
    3:00 - 15:00 GMT, but with some patience...
    See also the ruby-gnome2 mailinglist.

    Paul

    --
    Student @ Eindhoven | JID:
    University of Technology, The Netherlands | email:
    Paul van Tilburg, Aug 6, 2004
  4. On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:42:22 +0900, Paul van Tilburg <> wrote:
    > On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:11:27AM +0900, Bill Atkins wrote:
    > > [...] I commit my next project to Gtk, I wanted to see if
    > > anyone on this newsgroup could offer their opinion on Gtk. How well
    > > does it work? Is there anything exceptionally cool about it?

    > For me it works very well.. the Ruby/GNOME2 Project is progressing
    > nicely, have a look at:
    > http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/
    >
    > > Also, I had a few more objective questions:
    > >
    > > 1. Is it possible to change the theme for a single Gtk application?
    > > If not, is there any way to customize an application's appearance
    > > (fonts, colors, etc) without resorting to a theme?

    > Theming is a GTK native specific thing.

    Maybe the following link can help you:

    http://www.rixsoft.com/gimpwin/gtk-themes.html

    It should be easy to ship a theme with your application, and force it
    to use that theme instead of the default one.

    > > 2. What problems does Gtk have on Win32? I hear over and over again
    > > that Gtk+ isn't an option because it's buggy on Win32, but in my
    > > (limited) experience, it seemed to run very well. What problems
    > > should I expect?

    > I have GTK-only apps working on win32. Ruby 1.8, GTK runtime and
    > ruby-gtk2 for win32 is required and it works. See also:
    > http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Install Guide for Windows

    Ruby/GTK apps work fine under win32. Unfortunately, all the C
    libraries covered by the Ruby-GNOME2 project are not yet officially
    ported to win32 (AFAIK GConf, Libgnomeui, etc...). But GTK, Libglade
    (to name a few) should work without any problem.

    --
    Laurent
    Laurent Sansonetti, Aug 6, 2004