    their GUI library with Ruby?

    Also, what is the best way to bundle a Ruby app into an executable
    installer for Mac/PC/Linux?

    ntwrkd, Mar 21, 2009

    rubygoo is made as an add-on to rubygame or gosu. There are way better
    toolkits for doing general application development. Take a look at
    monkeybars, shoes, or other bindings wx, fx, tk, and yes, I think there are
    qt bindings.

    /Shawn

    Shawn Anderson, Mar 21, 2009

  3. If you are looking for a desktop app GUI library, I'd suggest wxRuby2.
    If you are looking for a lib to make some cool/funny looking app, I'd
    then suggest Shoes.

    Though, I'm suggesting these two, because these are the two I like to
    use!

    Pierre Pierre, Mar 23, 2009
  4. ntwrkd wrote:

    > Is there a nicer GUI framework for Ruby other than RubyGoo?

    Hi,

    Have a look at FXRuby, here: http://www.fxruby.com

    It works just great for us.

    Regards,

    Philippe

    Philippe Lang, Mar 23, 2009
  5. Alle Saturday 21 March 2009, ntwrkd ha scritto:
    > I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
    > their GUI library with Ruby?

    If you mean Qt (http://www.qtsoftware.com, I believe QT stands for QuickTime),
    then yes. I'm using it and find it great. I started using Qt programming in
    C++ and went on using it when I switched to ruby.

    You can find more information on the Qt ruby bindings at its rubyforge page
    (http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum) or at its homepage
    (http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Ruby).

    The only problem is that there hasn't been an official, stand-alone release of
    QtRuby for linux for the last 3 years and for windows since june 2008. If
    you're on linux and use KDE 4, you can install a much more recent (and
    improved) version using the KDE 4 packages provided by your distribution; if
    you're on linux but don't use KDE, you can download the source code for
    kdebindings from the kde home page and compile it, excluding all KDE parts. I
    think you can do something similar even if you're on windows, but I don't know
    how to do that, since I don't use windows.

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Mar 23, 2009
  6. Stefano Crocco <> writes:

    > If you mean Qt (http://www.qtsoftware.com, I believe QT stands for QuickTime),
    > then yes.

    Nope. Qt isn't related to QuickTime at all. Qt is the Trolltech toolkit (used
    by KDE desktop).

    Eric Jacoboni, Mar 23, 2009
  7. Alle Monday 23 March 2009, Eric Jacoboni ha scritto:
    > Stefano Crocco <> writes:
    > > If you mean Qt (http://www.qtsoftware.com, I believe QT stands for
    > > QuickTime), then yes.

    > Nope. Qt isn't related to QuickTime at all. Qt is the Trolltech toolkit
    > (used by KDE desktop).

    I know. What I meant (and reading that sentence again, I understand it is not
    very clear) is that I believe QT (both capital letters) means QuickTime, while
    Qt (only capital Q) is the Trolltech toolkit of which I speak in the rest of
    my post.

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Mar 23, 2009
  8. ntwrkd

    Guest

    On Mar 23, 10:23 am, Stefano Crocco <> wrote:
    > Alle Saturday 21 March 2009, ntwrkd ha scritto:
    >
    > > I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
    > > their GUI library with Ruby?

    > If you mean Qt (http://www.qtsoftware.com, I believe QT stands for QuickTime),
    > then yes. I'm using it and find it great. I started using Qt programming in
    > C++ and went on using it when I switched to ruby.
    >
    > You can find more information on the Qt ruby bindings at its rubyforge page
    > (http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum) or at its homepage
    > (http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Ruby).
    >
    > The only problem is that there hasn't been an official, stand-alone release of
    > QtRuby for linux for the last 3 years and for windows since june 2008. If
    > you're on linux and use KDE 4, you can install a much more recent (and
    > improved) version using the KDE 4 packages provided by your distribution;if
    > you're on linux but don't use KDE, you can download the source code for
    > kdebindings from the kde home page and compile it, excluding all KDE parts. I
    > think you can do something similar even if you're on windows, but I don'tknow
    > how to do that, since I don't use windows.

    I do intend to do a new release 'real soon now', QtRuby 2.x really is
    ready now and I just need to package it up and put it on the RubyForge
    site. The have been a lot of improvements as Stefano says and a new
    release is certainly long overdue.

    -- Richard

    , Mar 23, 2009
  9. ntwrkd

    Jan Pilz Guest

    We're using QtRuby bindings 1.4.10 on Windows and Linux and it works
    very good for us ;)
    I don't know whats the big difference between 1.4 and 2.x and im ready
    to create a new Windows gem when qtruby 2.x is released ;)

    --
    Otto Software Partner GmbH

    Jan Pilz (e-mail: )

    Tel. 0351/49723202, Fax: 0351/49723119
    01067 Dresden, Freiberger Straße 35 - AG Dresden, HRB 2475
    Geschäftsführer: Burkhard Arrenberg, Jens Gruhl

    Jan Pilz, Mar 23, 2009
  10. On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 05:14 +0900, ntwrkd wrote:
    > Is there a nicer GUI framework for Ruby other than RubyGoo?
    > I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
    > their GUI library with Ruby?
    >
    > Also, what is the best way to bundle a Ruby app into an executable
    > installer for Mac/PC/Linux?

    there is also
    http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/

    Reid Thompson, Mar 23, 2009
  11. In my experience the Qt bindings are quite nice to use, especially with the
    Designer generated XML files, which are compiled into ruby-files.
    But there are some ugly spots to the bindings as well, first of all
    the installation process is not as easy as it should be.
    On my MacBook as well as on a Fedora desktop it failed out of the
    box and took some work to fix. The usage of cmake as a build
    system is not the best choice in my opion either.
    Second the actual use of the bindings is not very ruby-like.
    Regarding this I'm trying wxruby2 at the moment, which seems more
    convenient to me.

    Thorsten

    Thorsten Hater, Mar 23, 2009
  12. ntwrkd wrote:
    > Is there a nicer GUI framework for Ruby other than RubyGoo?
    > I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but has anyone used QT for
    > their GUI library with Ruby?

    Lots of people are using JRuby + Swing now. There's probably 6 different
    Ruby wrappers for Swing, and the same app works everywhere. For a full
    MVC app use MonkeyBars.

    > Also, what is the best way to bundle a Ruby app into an executable
    > installer for Mac/PC/Linux?

    Rawr for JRuby packages your whole application up very nicely.

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, Mar 23, 2009