    Anybody?

    Thanks
    EVMan

    EVman, Aug 6, 2007

  2. EVman

    gregarican Guest

    On Aug 6, 10:04 am, EVman <> wrote:
    > I am just playing with Ruby at the moment, although seriously enough to
    > buy a couple of books, so I am still in the command line learning mode (on
    > Linux).
    >
    > I was wondering what Ruby folks use to build gui apps. I notice that TK
    > sort of supports Ruby, but I haven't found much documentation on that yet.
    > Possibly QT?
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > Thanks
    > EVMan

    There's Tk, Qt, GTK, Fox, Wx, and other more obscure widget sets. Like
    WideStudio. If you search through the Ruby Application Archive you can
    scope some of these out. As for the best, it depends on your
    preferences --- lightweight versus heavyweight, more object oriented
    versus more primitive, etc.

    gregarican, Aug 6, 2007

  3. EVman

    gregarican Guest

    On Aug 6, 10:07 am, gregarican <> wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 10:04 am, EVman <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am just playing with Ruby at the moment, although seriously enough to
    > > buy a couple of books, so I am still in the command line learning mode (on
    > > Linux).

    > > I was wondering what Ruby folks use to build gui apps. I notice that TK
    > > sort of supports Ruby, but I haven't found much documentation on that yet.
    > > Possibly QT?

    > > Anybody?

    > > Thanks
    > > EVMan

    > There's Tk, Qt, GTK, Fox, Wx, and other more obscure widget sets. Like
    > WideStudio. If you search through the Ruby Application Archive you can
    > scope some of these out. As for the best, it depends on your
    > preferences --- lightweight versus heavyweight, more object oriented
    > versus more primitive, etc.

    Forgot to give my $0.02 US. Personally the Qt widget set fit my way of
    development the best. For Windows it can be more restrictive (license
    wise) and tougher to work with using Ruby (compiling) but it seemed to
    do the job...

    gregarican, Aug 6, 2007
  4. Alle luned=EC 6 agosto 2007, EVman ha scritto:
    > I am just playing with Ruby at the moment, although seriously enough to
    > buy a couple of books, so I am still in the command line learning mode (on
    > Linux).
    >

    > I was wondering what Ruby folks use to build gui apps. I notice that TK
    > sort of supports Ruby, but I haven't found much documentation on that yet.
    > Possibly QT?
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > Thanks
    > EVMan

    There are very good ruby bindings for Qt, both 3 and 4 and also for KDE 3, =
    if=20
    you're interested in it. The project is at=20
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum. Regarding documentation, you can us=
    e=20
    the documentation provided for the C++ Qt library, looking at the site=20
    http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/index.html for the=20
    peculiarities of the ruby version of the library.

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Aug 6, 2007

    http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/

    jreidthompson, Aug 6, 2007
  6. I'd suggest JRuby/Swing, for crossplatform compatibility.

    Ken

    Kenneth McDonald, Aug 6, 2007
  7. EVman

    Brad Phelan Guest

    EVman wrote:
    > I am just playing with Ruby at the moment, although seriously enough to
    > buy a couple of books, so I am still in the command line learning mode (on
    > Linux).
    >

    > I was wondering what Ruby folks use to build gui apps. I notice that TK
    > sort of supports Ruby, but I haven't found much documentation on that yet.
    > Possibly QT?
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > Thanks
    > EVMan

    Try on some shoes from _why! Ultra simple little gui toolkit that
    seems great for learning.

    http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/shoes

    --
    Brad Phelan