    Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
    foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.

    http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/language-study/scripting-language/
    GinTon, May 26, 2007

  2. GinTon wrote:
    > I've seen that the next version of LSB 3.2 (will be released on June,
    > 2007) will add Perl and Python but not Ruby. That mean that the next
    > Linux distributions that follow the LSB standard as Debian or Ubuntu
    > will have Perl and Python by default.
    >
    > http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
    >
    > Ruby is the second best programming language that can be easily used
    > for SOP (Script-Oriented Programming) only behind of sh shell. So the
    > Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
    > foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.
    >
    > http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/language-study/scripting-language/

    While I agree that Ruby "should" be part of the LSB, the fact is that
    the committees that oversee LSB and other standards are composed of
    people *invited* to be there, not people who believe that they *should*
    be there. So don't expect much without a *lot* of networking. And don't
    expect whining to get you anything. :)
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, May 26, 2007

  3. Or just...
    popularize many handy Ruby-based [system] utilities that people "can't
    live without".
    Paul Stickney, May 27, 2007
  4. On Sat, 26 May 2007, GinTon wrote:

    > I've seen that the next version of LSB 3.2 (will be released on June,
    > 2007) will add Perl and Python but not Ruby. That mean that the next
    > Linux distributions that follow the LSB standard as Debian or Ubuntu
    > will have Perl and Python by default.
    >
    > http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
    >
    > Ruby is the second best programming language that can be easily used
    > for SOP (Script-Oriented Programming) only behind of sh shell. So the
    > Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
    > foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.
    >
    > http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/language-study/scripting-language/

    I don't see how not including Ruby by default could be a problem (mind
    you I haven't checked what "including by default" means - does it, as I
    assume, that a distro to be LSB compliant needs to ship Perl/Python as
    part of its base installation?). However I see how including Python and
    Perl by default could be a problem: bloat. And if you add Ruby too: more
    bloat.

    I can't see what's so difficult about "apt-get install ruby", or whatever
    that is in the other distros.
    *t

    Tomas Pospisek
    http://sourcepole.com - Linux & Open Source Solutions
    Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists, May 27, 2007
  5. GinTon

    Guest

    Quoting Alex Young <>:

    > Paul Stickney wrote:
    > > Or just...
    > > popularize many handy Ruby-based [system] utilities that people "can't
    > > live without".
    > >

    > I think that must be the point - it's not that the LSB people
    > necessarily like Perl and Python over Ruby, it's just that more
    > system-almost-critical scripts and tools are written in them than are
    > written in Ruby.
    >
    > --
    > Alex

    IIRC all distros have at least one component that's written in Python. The Red
    Hat installer, Anaconda, is written in Python. I'm not sure about Perl, though.
    , May 27, 2007
  6. GinTon

    John Joyce Guest

    > IIRC all distros have at least one component that's written in
    > Python. The Red
    > Hat installer, Anaconda, is written in Python. I'm not sure about
    > Perl, though.

    This is exactly the kind of reason why these are installed by
    default, I suspect. Much software that is part of the distro and is
    commonly used may need Perl and Python to run some install scripts.
    Certainly, any Apache install almost always is installed with Perl.
    Perl more than any other scripting language is pretty much bound to
    Linux and Unix by history and the loads of tools that use it/are
    built with it.
    John Joyce, May 27, 2007
  7. GinTon

    Guest

    Quoting Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists <>:

    > On Sat, 26 May 2007, GinTon wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen that the next version of LSB 3.2 (will be released on June,
    > > 2007) will add Perl and Python but not Ruby. That mean that the next
    > > Linux distributions that follow the LSB standard as Debian or Ubuntu
    > > will have Perl and Python by default.
    > >
    > > http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
    > >
    > > Ruby is the second best programming language that can be easily used
    > > for SOP (Script-Oriented Programming) only behind of sh shell. So the
    > > Ruby community should to inform / contact / press to linux-
    > > foundation.org for that Ruby also been added.
    > >
    > > http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/language-study/scripting-language/

    > I don't see how not including Ruby by default could be a problem (mind
    > you I haven't checked what "including by default" means - does it, as I
    > assume, that a distro to be LSB compliant needs to ship Perl/Python as
    > part of its base installation?). However I see how including Python and
    > Perl by default could be a problem: bloat. And if you add Ruby too: more
    > bloat.
    >
    > I can't see what's so difficult about "apt-get install ruby", or whatever
    > that is in the other distros.
    > *t

    I agree ... furthermore, it just flat out ain't gonna happen on some distros,
    like Gentoo. Gentoo is very much a customizable distro. If you're a minimalist,
    you can bring the system up with a "stage3" install. Gentoo, being source-based,
    however, does have something by default that most of the major distros -- RPM
    and DEB based -- don't have: gcc. So a minimal Gentoo box will have more stuff
    than a minimal Red Hat or Debian box.

    In any event, LSB is purely an attempt to converge the two major dialects of
    Linux, Red Hat/RPM and Debian/DEB, into something that people from either side
    of the fence can deal with. "Also-rans" like Gentoo and Ruby are not part of
    this by the intention of the committee. Ruby can do itself a big favor, and
    Rails can do itself an even bigger favor, by *embracing* the standard, rather
    than whining about being excluded.
    , May 27, 2007