Ruby install on Kubuntu Linux - why so spread out

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tom Cloyd, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. Tom Cloyd

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    I've migrated from WinXP in recent days, and I'm having trouble getting
    up to speed with Ruby on Kubuntu (7.10).

    My question at the moment has to do with the nature of the installation.
    I installed ruby from the package manager database, using Adept. It
    tells me that it's installing 'Ruby 1.8 - the current stable version".
    Not 1.85x, but 1.8. I'm offered the option of 1.9, as well. I went with
    1.8 (hoping that it really was more l

    Then I went looking for it. In WinXP, I got a Start menu "Ruby" entry,
    with irb, etc. In Kubuntu, it appears that programs installs mostly just
    get eaten up by the file system, and I get to go hunt them down. In
    WinXP, Ruby sits in a single obvious directory, in root - C:\ruby. In
    Kubuntu, it seems to be a ship wreck. I had to do a systematic search of
    the file system to find...

    /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    /usr/share/doc/ruby1.8
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8

    One question - why? Am I supposed to KNOW that this is where things end
    up? Why is it done this way?

    I'm delighted with Kubuntu Linux, overwhelmingly, but I'm puzzled by
    this shotgun installation. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?

    Tom

    Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
    Private practice Psychotherapist
    Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
    << >> (email)
    << TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
    << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
    Tom Cloyd, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Tom Cloyd wrote:
    > down. In WinXP, Ruby sits in a single obvious directory, in root -
    > C:\ruby. In Kubuntu, it seems to be a ship wreck. I had to do a
    > systematic search of the file system to find...
    >
    > /usr/bin/ruby1.8

    /usr/bin is where installed commands are placed. The ones that come with
    the OS would be in /bin and your own ones could end up in
    /usr/local/bin. The root binaries start in /sbin, /usr/sbin and the
    like. This directory naming thing is the way Unix handles things.

    > /usr/share/doc/ruby1.8

    Yup, all documentation usually ends up here under /usr/share/doc

    > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
    >
    > One question - why? Am I supposed to KNOW that this is where things
    > end up?

    You don't have to know but it can be useful.

    > Why is it done this way?
    >
    > I'm delighted with Kubuntu Linux, overwhelmingly, but I'm puzzled by
    > this shotgun installation. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?

    The thinking is that like things live together. So all the executable
    commands live in /usr/bin (and the like), documentation lives in
    /usr/share/doc and libraries live in /usr/lib. It's not perfect and some
    things decide to install their stuff in the oddest places but it mostly
    works.

    Peter Hickman, Jan 3, 2008

  3. Tom Cloyd

    Casimir Guest

    Tom Cloyd kirjoitti:
    > I've migrated from WinXP in recent days, and I'm having trouble getting
    > up to speed with Ruby on Kubuntu (7.10).
    >
    > Then I went looking for it. In WinXP, I got a Start menu "Ruby" entry,
    > with irb, etc. In Kubuntu, it appears that programs installs mostly just
    > get eaten up by the file system, and I get to go hunt them down. In
    > WinXP, Ruby sits in a single obvious directory, in root - C:\ruby. In
    > Kubuntu, it seems to be a ship wreck. I had to do a systematic search of
    > the file system to find...

    Shuure, its a ship wreck, that why its used in most production servers
    in the world...

    You can easily add any program in the menu. Yes, there is some learning
    to do when you take on a whole new OS, yes you will experience frustration.

    How about googling "Linux File System" and maybe add "Structure" or
    "Tutorial" to that?

    > /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    > /usr/share/doc/ruby1.8
    > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
    >
    > One question - why? Am I supposed to KNOW that this is where things end
    > up? Why is it done this way?

    Because linux is not Windows XP, thank god. Realize that you need to
    re-learn some things. The Windows way is far from perfect...

    > I'm delighted with Kubuntu Linux, overwhelmingly, but I'm puzzled by
    > this shotgun installation. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?

    Actually, the developers of (Kubuntu) should be puzzled by your
    thinking. Why would Windows be the perfect model for an OS. Newsflash!
    It is not. Take off your Bill Gates -colored glasses!

    My advice is:

    * Install Yakuake (a command line terminal that pops up when you hit the
    shortcut (default F12).
    * Have kubuntu load yakuake at startup.
    * Learn command line file manipulation, apt-get, ruby compilation.
    * Presto - you have teh powa! You will *never* want to go back to Windows.

    Well, Just My Opinion..
    Casimir, Jan 3, 2008
  4. Tom Cloyd

    Todd Benson Guest

    On Jan 3, 2008 4:17 AM, Tom Cloyd <> wrote:
    > I've migrated from WinXP in recent days, and I'm having trouble getting
    > up to speed with Ruby on Kubuntu (7.10).
    >
    > My question at the moment has to do with the nature of the installation.
    > I installed ruby from the package manager database, using Adept. It
    > tells me that it's installing 'Ruby 1.8 - the current stable version".
    > Not 1.85x, but 1.8. I'm offered the option of 1.9, as well. I went with
    > 1.8 (hoping that it really was more l
    >
    > Then I went looking for it. In WinXP, I got a Start menu "Ruby" entry,
    > with irb, etc. In Kubuntu, it appears that programs installs mostly just
    > get eaten up by the file system, and I get to go hunt them down.

    This is not exclusive to Ruby. *nixes somewhat expect you to know
    what goes where.

    > WinXP, Ruby sits in a single obvious directory, in root - C:\ruby

    Don't be so quick about WinXP. Not everything is perfectly in one
    place, and depending on how you do the installation, the registry may
    also be altered.

    > Kubuntu, it seems to be a ship wreck. I had to do a systematic search of
    > the file system to find...
    >
    > /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    > /usr/share/doc/ruby1.8
    > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
    >
    > One question - why? Am I supposed to KNOW that this is where things end
    > up? Why is it done this way?

    Someone else can give you a straight answer about the 1.8 part, but I
    assume it's because people in the past have suffered from over-writing
    their generically-termed "ruby" installation. As for the various
    directories, that is sort of a general way of laying things out on the
    OS.

    I typically build my own from source, and, if need be, do a ln -s
    <wherever my ruby binaries are> /usr/local/bin/ruby. It depends on
    the machine though.

    > I'm delighted with Kubuntu Linux, overwhelmingly, but I'm puzzled by
    > this shotgun installation. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?

    Also, it makes it easier for developers to write to a generic file
    system setup. Windows also does a similar thing, just in a different
    way.

    Todd
    Todd Benson, Jan 3, 2008
  5. Tom Cloyd

    Marc Heiler Guest

    >> I'm delighted with Kubuntu Linux, overwhelmingly, but I'm puzzled by
    >> this shotgun installation. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?

    They mostly follow historic reasons (everyone was and is doing it this
    way) and the FHS - and of course their own way to add complexity to
    everything. ;-)

    For another philosophy take a look at
    http://www.gobolinux.org/?page=at_a_glance
    Marc Heiler, Jan 3, 2008
  6. Casimir I'm going to have to call you on this. As you may have just
    noticed we had a long thread on Zed Shaw leaving, one of Zed's
    complaints what the trollish behaviour and general unpleasantness of the
    people on the rails mailing list. There was some hope that it would not
    spread to here. Then you posted.

    Tom's question is a perfectly valid one and completely understandable
    for someone coming from windows to linux. He has not posted a mindless
    pro windows post and does not deserve the likes of "Why would Windows be
    the perfect model for an OS. Newsflash! It is not. Take off your Bill
    Gates -colored glasses!"

    Did Tom say that the windows way was perfect? No. Then you did you post
    that drivel?

    Enough of this behaviour already.
    Peter Hickman, Jan 3, 2008
  7. Tom Cloyd

    Casimir Guest

    Peter Hickman kirjoitti:
    > Tom's question is a perfectly valid one and completely understandable
    > for someone coming from windows to linux. He has not posted a mindless
    > pro windows post and does not deserve the likes of "Why would Windows be
    > the perfect model for an OS. Newsflash! It is not. Take off your Bill
    > Gates -colored glasses!"

    Shhuure. I am the most evil person on here after Giles.

    You took my quote out of context. Besides, if you have probs with me
    replying to *all* questions in a post, you are in the wrong place.

    On the usenet no-one can hear your off-topic trolling, Peter...
    Casimir, Jan 3, 2008
  8. Tom Cloyd

    Todd Benson Guest

    On Jan 3, 2008 5:15 AM, Casimir <> wrote:
    > Peter Hickman kirjoitti:
    > > Tom's question is a perfectly valid one and completely understandable
    > > for someone coming from windows to linux. He has not posted a mindless
    > > pro windows post and does not deserve the likes of "Why would Windows be
    > > the perfect model for an OS. Newsflash! It is not. Take off your Bill
    > > Gates -colored glasses!"

    > Shhuure. I am the most evil person on here after Giles.
    >
    > You took my quote out of context. Besides, if you have probs with me
    > replying to *all* questions in a post, you are in the wrong place.
    >
    > On the usenet no-one can hear your off-topic trolling, Peter...

    I can't put words into Peter's mouth, so I don't know what he thinks,
    but for me it seems like you're helping a little, just in a very very
    weird way. Tone down the caustic language just a little bit. You
    don't really want people hating you, do you?

    Todd
    Todd Benson, Jan 3, 2008
  9. Tom Cloyd

    Casimir Guest

    IRB doesn't like umlaut u (Re: Ruby install on Kubuntu Linux - whyso spread out)

    I was just writing a reply to these two EVER SO RIGHTEUSLY HELPFUL
    OVERLORDS (Todd Benson and Peter Hickman) of alt.comp.ruby as a ruby
    script in IRB...

    But as I was typing "über = Array.new" IRB died instantly. Same on 2nd
    and 3rd time. Umlaut U. Html code &uuml; or ü.

    Anyone know why is this?

    All those interested in things only Ruby can ignore the rest of this post.

    Todd Benson kirjoitti:
    > I can't put words into Peter's mouth, so I don't know what he thinks,
    > but for me it seems like you're helping a little, just in a very very
    > weird way. Tone down the caustic language just a little bit. You
    > don't really want people hating you, do you?

    OMG are you threatening me? OMG I am sooo afraid now. *Begs for mercy*
    *whimper* I will never reply to people picking on my posts in anything
    but the most pleasing tone again just to pleasure you and Peter!

    ALSO I will always include you two as recipients in ALL usenet posts I
    make from now on, just to please you and your infinite intelligence, so
    you can censor my posts and correct my evil horrible caustic acidic
    ways. *backs up and bows on each step*

    Csmr
    Casimir, Jan 3, 2008
  10. Tom Cloyd

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    Thanks, guys. Definitely helpful. I still think it's easier to put it
    all in one place, and I'm not characterizing WinXP when I say that -
    just how my ruby got installed there by the windows installer. As for
    the "shotgun" installation on Kubuntu - I suspected there was a logic to
    it, but didn't know what it was. I'm moving very fast with Kubuntu, out
    of necessity, and I'm not a CS pro, so I smack into my ignorance a lot.

    Having now a bit of a roadmap for the *nix filesystem - that'll help,
    definitely.

    And...I left my WinXP for a reason. Sick of it. Kubuntu is much more to
    my liking, although that's just my taste. And, of course, I'd like it
    all to be set up to please me. Matz has his language, so why can't I
    have... Well, that's crazy-making thinking, and I'll try to stop it!

    Wonderful how I got a flurry of replies FAST, here. I very rarely post.
    Nice experience.

    Finally, I read the long Zed Shaw thread, and then cruised his piece.
    Good Lord - it doesn't matter how smart he is. He has no people skills.
    And...no one owes us anything, not as an adult. He needs to take
    responsibility - the "ability to respond" and get his life to work, as
    do we all. He's squandering his energy and talent, and achieving what?
    High status at the middle school? Amazing.

    t.

    Tom Cloyd, Jan 3, 2008
  11. Tom Cloyd

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    Re: IRB doesn't like umlaut u (Re: Ruby install on Kubuntu Linux -why so spread out)

    Casimir,

    I appreciate your suggestion about Yakuake, and will pursue it. One of
    the things I can to Linux for was more direct access to the system. This
    will facilitate that.

    Your sarcasm, however, is a poor rhetorical choice. In my experience,
    those who resort to this are either following poor models (we don't all
    come from great families) or scared - they can't imagine surviving what
    would happen if they simply spoke their mind.

    I suggest you shoot straight or keep it put away. I did get it from the
    start that you're a high energy guy, but that doesn't get you off the
    hook, any more than's Zed's being wronged (if we assume he gave correct
    report of it) excuses his writing like he's 14 years old, which he
    surely isn't.

    I didn't take offense at your mis-characterizing what I wrote. I just
    ignored it. I think Peter has you to rights - I'm not defending Windows.
    I'm expressing a liking for putting things all in one dir. I was asking
    why anyone would do it otherwise. Fair question. Peter explained why,
    and now I'm informed. Fair exchange.

    Your considerable energy would go further if you just spoke plainly. I
    hope we may see that in the future.

    Tom

    Tom Cloyd, Jan 3, 2008
  12. On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 19:17 +0900, Tom Cloyd wrote:
    > I've migrated from WinXP in recent days, and I'm having trouble getting
    > up to speed with Ruby on Kubuntu (7.10).
    >
    > My question at the moment has to do with the nature of the installation.
    > I installed ruby from the package manager database, using Adept. It
    > tells me that it's installing 'Ruby 1.8 - the current stable version".
    > Not 1.85x, but 1.8. I'm offered the option of 1.9, as well. I went with
    > 1.8 (hoping that it really was more l
    >
    > Then I went looking for it. In WinXP, I got a Start menu "Ruby" entry,
    > with irb, etc. In Kubuntu, it appears that programs installs mostly just
    > get eaten up by the file system, and I get to go hunt them down. In
    > WinXP, Ruby sits in a single obvious directory, in root - C:\ruby. In
    > Kubuntu, it seems to be a ship wreck. I had to do a systematic search of
    > the file system to find...
    >
    > /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    > /usr/share/doc/ruby1.8
    > /usr/lib/ruby/1.8
    >
    > One question - why? Am I supposed to KNOW that this is where things end
    > up? Why is it done this way?
    >
    > I'm delighted with Kubuntu Linux, overwhelmingly, but I'm puzzled by
    > this shotgun installation. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?
    >
    > Tom

    see Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
    Reid Thompson, Jan 3, 2008
  13. Tom Cloyd

    Jan Dvorak Guest

    On Thursday 03 January 2008 11:17:26 Tom Cloyd wrote:
    > I've migrated from WinXP in recent days, and I'm having trouble getting
    > up to speed with Ruby on Kubuntu (7.10).
    > One question - why? Am I supposed to KNOW that this is where things end
    > up? Why is it done this way?
    >
    > I'm delighted with Kubuntu Linux, overwhelmingly, but I'm puzzled by
    > this shotgun installation. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this?

    In addition to what others have said, you can always go to Adept and display
    details for ruby1.8 package, where you can see all the installed files with
    full paths.

    To save you one further surprise, ruby gems will get installed
    to /var/lib/gems/1.8 on Ubuntu linux - it's somewhat nonstandard placement,
    but makes sense from the perspective that you will be installing/upgrading
    them often and are thus they are VARying data.

    Jan
    Jan Dvorak, Jan 3, 2008
  14. Giles Bowkett, Jan 3, 2008
  15. Tom Cloyd

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    Thanks, Reid. I would not likely have found that stuff on my own, and it
    definitely advances my understanding. Man, I do love wikipedia - as do a
    lot of others, apparently!

    t.

    Tom Cloyd, Jan 3, 2008
  16. Tom Cloyd

    Todd Benson Guest

    On Jan 3, 2008 8:20 AM, Michal Suchanek <> wrote:
    > On 03/01/2008, Casimir <> wrote:
    > > I was just writing a reply to these two EVER SO RIGHTEUSLY HELPFUL
    > > OVERLORDS (Todd Benson and Peter Hickman) of alt.comp.ruby as a ruby
    > > script in IRB...
    > >
    > > But as I was typing "=FCber =3D Array.new" IRB died instantly. Same on =

    2nd
    > > and 3rd time. Umlaut U. Html code &uuml; or ü.
    > >
    > > Anyone know why is this?

    > Because you did not start irb with -KU. Ruby defaults to -KN, and does
    > not do locale before 1.9 so you have to tell it you want to use utf-8.
    > It does not like umlauts when not using utf-8 otherwise it would just
    > use the identifier no matter how it is encoded (because anything is
    > valid ASCII8BIT).
    >

    > > All those interested in things only Ruby can ignore the rest of this po=

    st.

    > > Todd Benson kirjoitti:
    > > > I can't put words into Peter's mouth, so I don't know what he thinks,
    > > > but for me it seems like you're helping a little, just in a very very
    > > > weird way. Tone down the caustic language just a little bit. You
    > > > don't really want people hating you, do you?

    > > OMG are you threatening me? OMG I am sooo afraid now. *Begs for mercy*
    > > *whimper* I will never reply to people picking on my posts in anything
    > > but the most pleasing tone again just to pleasure you and Peter!
    > >

    > You were responding to a slightly ignorant post and inside your
    > explanation you planted stuff like
    > "Actually, the developers of (Kubuntu) should be puzzled by your
    > thinking. Why would Windows be the perfect model for an OS. Newsflash!
    > It is not. Take off your Bill Gates -colored glasses!"
    > which sounds at least slightly like you are picking an argument here.
    >
    > It would be nicer if you could limit flamewars by responding in more
    > civil manner.
    >
    > To enlighten you as well I would like to pint out that installing
    > applications into separate folders is not specific to Windows XP and
    > Windows in general. But since you can google even things you have
    > never heard of (unlike the person to which you responded)

    Umm ... are you referring to me? And which thread are you talking
    about? I said registry in the other thread because I thought that was
    where the environment variables were stored in XP. And if not in the
    registry, then somewhere else besides the install directory and loaded
    into the registry later.

    Todd
    Todd Benson, Jan 4, 2008
  17. Re: IRB doesn't like umlaut u (Re: Ruby install on Kubuntu Linux -why so spread out)

    On 04/01/2008, Todd Benson <> wrote:

    > Umm ... are you referring to me? And which thread are you talking
    > about? I said registry in the other thread because I thought that was
    > where the environment variables were stored in XP. And if not in the
    > registry, then somewhere else besides the install directory and loaded
    > into the registry later.

    No, I'm referring to Casimir who is quoted in that email to which you
    are responding.

    Thanks

    Michal
    Michal Suchanek, Jan 4, 2008
  18. Tom Cloyd

    Todd Benson Guest

    Re: IRB doesn't like umlaut u (Re: Ruby install on Kubuntu Linux -why so spread out)

    > No, I'm referring to Casimir who is quoted in that email to which you
    > are responding.

    Oh, I got confused on the "unlike the person to which you responded" part.

    > Thanks
    >
    > Michal

    Todd
    Todd Benson, Jan 4, 2008
  19. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    (bit off topic)

    There is actually a fairly sound logic to it and most of it can be divined
    out of the file hierarchy standards by reading the descriptions if you were
    interested. A lot of it is just historical baggage as well. I personally
    think that in time people will come to rely on package management, search
    functions, etc... and care much much less about where physical files are
    actually stored.

    We'll of course still care about meta relations ships... which package is
    first in load order etc... but no so much where it's installed. I don't
    navigate to any media type data any more. I desktop search to find it. I
    don't go looking to see where things are installed I ask the package manager
    etc...

    By the way if you hadn't run across it 'dpkg -L packagename' will tell you
    where things are.

    --
    Michael Greenly
    http://blog.michaelgreenly.com