    Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated,

    --
    / Johan Rönnblom, Software Developer

    Johan Rönnblom, May 22, 2007

  2. On 5/22/07, Johan R=F6nnblom <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm trying to install the Radiant CMS system for Ruby. However, it seems =

    there is something not quite right with the Ruby installation. I'm running =
    Debian/sarge so I need some backports Ruby version, and possibly there migh=
    t be some glitches in the setup due to this.

    > I'm running the following from the Radiant installation:
    > % rake production db:bootstrap
    >
    > And get this error:
    > rake aborted!
    > undefined method `namespace' for main:Object
    > /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/radiant-0.6.1/Rakefile:7
    >
    > Now, this line says:
    > require 'tasks/rails'
    >

    > Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated,

    Not a direct answer to your question, but I'd recommend that anyone
    doing ruby in earnest on a debian system install ruby from source
    rather than (or in addition to) the debian packages.

    The debian ruby package maintainers partition ruby in their own way,
    AND since they see some kind of conflict between the way they want to
    do package management, and the way rubygems does it, they don't
    support gems well if at all.

    What I've done on my ubuntu system is to install ruby from source in
    /usr/local and leave the debian packages installed for other packages
    which depend on them. I just use svn/make and gem to keep things up
    to date.

    --=20
    Rick DeNatale

    My blog on Ruby
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

    Rick DeNatale, May 22, 2007

  3. Johan Rönnblom

    John W. Long Guest

    Johan Rönnblom wrote:
    > I'm trying to install the Radiant CMS system for Ruby. However, it seems
    > there is something not quite right with the Ruby installation. I'm
    > running Debian/sarge so I need some backports Ruby version, and possibly
    > there might be some glitches in the setup due to this.
    >
    > I'm running the following from the Radiant installation:
    > % rake production db:bootstrap
    > And get this error:
    > rake aborted!
    > undefined method `namespace' for main:Object
    > /var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/radiant-0.6.1/Rakefile:7

    Rake 0.7 added the concept of namespaces, so you probably don't have the
    latest version of rake.

    $ rake --version

    I have 0.7.3 on my box and it runs fine. You might try upgrading if you
    have something less than 0.7.

    --
    John Long
    http://wiseheartdesign.com