Ruby interpreter not working

Will Dresh

Hello,

I think this problem will be best explained by simply showing you the
code first..
Code:
class ConfigSettings
def initiliaze
puts 'initializing ConfigSettings'
end
end

class Dog
def initialize
puts 'initiliazing Dog'
end
end

dog = Dog.new
settings = ConfigSettings.new
I would, of course, expect this to result in two prints to stdout:
"initializing Dog" and "initializing ConfigSettings". However, when I
run this program, "initializing ConfigSettings" is never output.

What in the world is going on?

Rodrigo Bermejo

Stefano said:
Alle martedì 27 gennaio 2009, Will Dresh ha scritto:

Look closer at this.

Stefano

I've come across into this mistake several times.
For non English-speakers I think this is the hardest key word ruby has.
I think this keyword could be replaced for something easier to spell.

Does anyone knows any planned change in this regard /?

Ruby.wishlist+=1

Novody is perfect.
-r.

Tom Cloyd

Rodrigo said:
I've come across into this mistake several times.
For non English-speakers I think this is the hardest key word ruby has.
I think this keyword could be replaced for something easier to spell.

Does anyone knows any planned change in this regard /?

Ruby.wishlist+=1

Novody is perfect.
-r.
Actually, English isn't all that easy for us English speakers either. If
we're going to replace this keyword, why not clean house and replace the
whole English language? Ever try to spell anything in English? The only
thing worse I know is French. Personally, I very much prefer Spanish,
but what do I know?

Sounds like a great way to start a war...!

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (e-mail address removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)

Phlip

initiliaze

Thank God the Brits have not foisted their phonetically incorrect 'initialise'
on us!

Writing initialize too much is a design smell.

I suspect one could rename it with class Object; alias initialize embiggen ;
end, or similar.

Robert Dober

This is really something ugly, biting me very often. Actually I
finished to define initialize as a keyword in my ruby mode on vim. And
if I type
def initalize ( my favorite misspelling ;) and it is not highlighted I
get warned immediately (this word is worse than initialize actually).

Hopefully this idea helps some folk.

R.
BTW. English is impossible to write, French is impossible to
pronounce. Possiamo parlare italiano? (Well actually the logical
consequence would be to use Esperanto, but that is ***ugly***.

Tim Greer

Rodrigo said:
I've come across into this mistake several times.
For non English-speakers I think this is the hardest key word ruby
has. I think this keyword could be replaced for something easier to
spell.

Does anyone knows any planned change in this regard /?

Ruby.wishlist+=1

Novody is perfect.
-r.

I don't suspect there are many languages that would create aliases by
default in an effort to prevent typos, but you could probably create
your own. I'd prefer no one forced that logic on me, just in case I
want to use a variable that's closely named like a reserved
word/function, only to find out that it's now a reserved word.

Charles Oliver Nutter

Rodrigo said:
I've come across into this mistake several times.
For non English-speakers I think this is the hardest key word ruby has.
I think this keyword could be replaced for something easier to spell.

Does anyone knows any planned change in this regard /?

Ruby.wishlist+=1

Sure, how about we name it __init__

- Charlie

Yaser Sulaiman

This is really something ugly, biting me very often. Actually I
finished to define initialize as a keyword in my ruby mode on vim. And
if I type
def initalize ( my favorite misspelling ;) and it is not highlighted I
get warned immediately (this word is worse than initialize actually).

Hopefully this idea helps some folk.

Nice.

I use gedit with the snippets[1] plugin. I set up a "defi" tap trigger so
that whenever I write "defi" and hit Tab, "def initialize end" will be
inserted automatically. This way, I don't have to worry about misspelling
"initialize" - which I did while writing this response! Can't live without a
spell checker! :)

Regards,
Yaser

[1]: http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins/Snippets

Martin DeMello

Thank God the Brits have not foisted their phonetically incorrect
'initialise' on us!

I must admit, I did that one a lot when I was learning Ruby. `init`
would be nice :)

martin

Robert Dober

I use gedit with the snippets[1] plugin. I set up a "defi" tap trigger so
that whenever I write "defi" and hit Tab, "def initialize end" will be
inserted automatically. This way, I don't have to worry about misspelling
"initialize" - which I did while writing this response! Can't live without a
spell checker! :)

Regards,
Yaser

[1]: http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins/Snippets
That seems a good idea too. I guess it is important to let each tool
do its work. Editors are here to help us with spelling, alias_method
is not.
+1 for Charlie's idea however ;).
R.

Tsunami Script

I think Charles was being ironic , making fun of the python guys . It's
enough that perl copied the python object model ( and Larry regrets that
even today ) ... let's not do the same mistake again .

Robert Dober

And I felt actually bad, adding the smiley, just to discover it was
not even enough.

I do not think that Perl copied Python's object model. When I talked
to Larry last time he said that he had copied Ruby's object model. The
last sentence is true, believe me.

Cheers
Robert

Rodrigo Bermejo

Robert said:
And I felt actually bad, adding the smiley, just to discover it was
not even enough.

I do not think that Perl copied Python's object model. When I talked
to Larry last time he said that he had copied Ruby's object model. The
last sentence is true, believe me.

Cheers
Robert

def new ...would be the "least surprise way" of doing it.
But I suspect there should be a good reason for not doing that.

Would be cool to have some kind of magic file where you could alias the
ruby key words (maybe able to recompile the interpreter with these new
alias) to any word/language you want.

define inicializando
pon "giiaaacc"
final