Ruby interpreters for different platforms

Kurt M. Dresner

Okay guys, this is a bit of a stretch, but...

I am a grad student working on RoboCup (the robotic soccer research
initiative). I work on the legged league, which involves Sony Aibo
robots. The SDK that Sony distributes is for C/C++. I hate programming
in C/C++ but I like programming in Ruby. This year, the UPenn team
wrote a Perl interpreter for the Aibo and wrote all of their code in
Perl. I would cry tears of joy were it at all straightforward to do
something similar for Ruby on the Aibo. I have no idea what this would
entail though. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

-Kurt

Kurt M. Dresner

The operating system is technically called "Aperios", which is a Sony
proprietary real-time OS. They do have a C/C++ compiler and associated
SDK for the OS, though. The platform is sort of strange - it involves
creating OPEN-R (the name of the SDK) objects, which all run
concurrently and send messages back and forth to each other. To execute
'system calls' (I use the term loosely) you send messages to OPEN-R
objects representing the sensors and the joint effectors and such.

-Kurt

Hal E. Fulton

The operating system is technically called "Aperios", which is a Sony
proprietary real-time OS. They do have a C/C++ compiler and associated
SDK for the OS, though. The platform is sort of strange - it involves
creating OPEN-R (the name of the SDK) objects, which all run
concurrently and send messages back and forth to each other. To execute
'system calls' (I use the term loosely) you send messages to OPEN-R
objects representing the sensors and the joint effectors and such.

Hmm. A brute-force approach might be:
Simply grab the latest Ruby source and
try to build it. Start fixing the errors
as they crop up. At some point, step back
from the keyboard and ask if this is
really going to work. ;)

If the OS is a reasonable one, it should
be doable. If it's one that is so strange
that (for example) it doesn't have the
concept of a file, that might be an order
of magnitude harder.

Hal

maillist

Why not use ruby to generate the C++ code and/or write a simple parser
in ruby? A smaller, more simple embedded is lua, that will probably be a
lot more easy to port.

Guest