    2) Messaging system that will allow address messages to

    Thanks!
    Dima

    Dmitri Kondratiev, Sep 24, 2006

  2. On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 07:03:53PM +0900, Dmitri Kondratiev wrote:
    > I am looking for Ruby crossplatform local and network IPC: messaging,
    > blackboard, etc. It would be great to find a survey of existing projects
    > in this area.
    > Things I am most interested in:
    > 1) Distributed blackboard or any other publish/subscribe mechanism that
    > scales well with new nodes comming into play
    > 2) Messaging system that will allow address messages to
    >

    > Thanks!
    > Dima

    I think your first step would be to look into drb (distributed ruby)
    which comes with ruby.
    Logan Capaldo, Sep 24, 2006

    #1 is a request for Rinda's Tuplespace built on DRb and also comes
    with Ruby. The Ruby Cookbook shows example usage for this.

    I didn't understand #2.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Sep 24, 2006
  4. Re: Ruby IPC: messaging, blackboard, etc.?

    Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
    > On 9/24/06, Dmitri Kondratiev <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I am looking for Ruby crossplatform local and network IPC: messaging,
    >> blackboard, etc. It would be great to find a survey of existing projects
    >> in this area.
    >> Things I am most interested in:
    >> 1) Distributed blackboard or any other publish/subscribe mechanism that
    >> scales well with new nodes comming into play
    >> 2) Messaging system that will allow address messages to
    >>

    > I don't quite understand #2 but you can look at reliable-msg, which is a
    > very fine piece of work by Assaf Arkin. In addition, I've been working
    > on a
    > full-featured message-queueing system that should be ready for an early
    > look
    > quite soon.

    By 2) I mean a messaging framework where addressable unit is a thread.
    In other words, in such a system a following scenario would be possible:

    Thread_X @ Process_A @ Host_N <--- snd/rcv messages ---> Thread_Y @
    Process_B @ Host_M
    (Framework may provide peer registration and naming mechanisms (for all
    parts of such address). For example, process name or PID used in native
    OS and network host name (IP addr) may be quite naturally used. As for
    threads, there may be an agreement on how their names are built (such as
    natural numbers, logical names, etc.))

    Dima

    Dmitri Kondratiev, Sep 24, 2006