    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis

    Jamis Buck, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Jamis Buck wrote:
    > Just wanted to share this. I often talk with my wife about what I'm
    > learning about Ruby, or about how Ruby makes various tasks simpler.
    > She, being a knitter, always responds by finding some comparison
    > between knitting and programming (and, I must say, her comparisons are
    > strikingly on target).
    >
    > Tonight, I was telling her how pleasurable it is to read Ruby code,
    > especially as compared to other programming languages. After
    > a moment's thought she nodded, replying, "Ruby is like baby Alpaca
    > yarn..."
    >
    > What a great simile. I may have to use that as a sig sometime.

    Let the flood of animated alpaca ASCII art begin...

    Joel VanderWerf, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Jamis Buck

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Jamis Buck wrote:
    > Just wanted to share this. I often talk with my wife about what I'm
    > learning about Ruby, or about how Ruby makes various tasks simpler.
    > She, being a knitter, always responds by finding some comparison
    > between knitting and programming (and, I must say, her comparisons are
    > strikingly on target).
    >
    > Tonight, I was telling her how pleasurable it is to read Ruby code,
    > especially as compared to other programming languages. After
    > a moment's thought she nodded, replying, "Ruby is like baby Alpaca
    > yarn..."
    >
    > What a great simile. I may have to use that as a sig sometime.

    Especially interesting in light of the punched card originating
    with the Jacquard loom. Have we come full circle?

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Dec 18, 2004
  4. On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:57:11 +0900,
    Joel VanderWerf <> wrote:
    > Jamis Buck wrote:
    >> "Ruby is like baby Alpaca yarn..."
    >>

    > Let the flood of animated alpaca ASCII art begin...

    I'll have a go at the yarn: "-"*50

    s.

    Stefan Schmiedl, Dec 18, 2004
  5. For once Google's targeted ads helped!

    Little did I know - but that a link to Alpalca yarn was waiting for me
    at the end of this thread!!

    -Rich

    Richard Lyman, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Jamis Buck <> wrote:
    > Just wanted to share this. I often talk with my wife about what I'm
    > learning about Ruby, or about how Ruby makes various tasks simpler.
    > She, being a knitter, always responds by finding some comparison
    > between knitting and programming (and, I must say, her comparisons are
    > strikingly on target).

    Until they talk about purl stitches :)

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Jamis Buck wrote:
    > Tonight, I was telling her how pleasurable it is to read Ruby code,
    > especially as compared to other programming languages. After
    > a moment's thought she nodded, replying, "Ruby is like baby Alpaca
    > yarn..."

    Remarkable. I had intended to fit baby alpaca yarn into the (Poignant)
    Guide (in chapter five's continued chapters of The Scarf Eaters.) I
    just scanned for it and realized I musta backspaced over it sometime.
    I'm putting that passage back in. We gotta cash in on these
    subliminals, folks!

    Jamis, I could use some juicer knit references in my next Scarf Eaters.
    How much do you guys charge for a brief consultation, wherein I sit
    there and listen to you name-drop various fibers?

    _why

    why the lucky stiff, Dec 18, 2004
  8. An Alpalca yarn?

    Once a farmer in Inner Mongolia had an Alpaca named Fred and a Duck
    named Type. The duck just went swimming and the water was very
    cold, so the Alpalca said to the Duck "Duck, would you not like to
    have some socks?" and the duck agreed. The Alpalca took some of his
    yarn and made some socks for the duck and ...

    Ok, this is getting nowhere.

    Michael DeHaan, Dec 18, 2004
  9. Jamis Buck

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On 04:48 Sun 19 Dec , why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > Jamis Buck wrote:
    > >Tonight, I was telling her how pleasurable it is to read Ruby code,
    > >especially as compared to other programming languages. After
    > >a moment's thought she nodded, replying, "Ruby is like baby Alpaca
    > >yarn..."

    > Remarkable. I had intended to fit baby alpaca yarn into the (Poignant)
    > Guide (in chapter five's continued chapters of The Scarf Eaters.) I
    > just scanned for it and realized I musta backspaced over it sometime.
    > I'm putting that passage back in. We gotta cash in on these
    > subliminals, folks!
    >
    > Jamis, I could use some juicer knit references in my next Scarf Eaters.
    > How much do you guys charge for a brief consultation, wherein I sit
    > there and listen to you name-drop various fibers?

    For a brief consultation, no charge. :) Besides which, this is for the
    Guide! Anything we can do to help... perhaps even including a pattern
    for a Poignant Cardigan or something, in memory of all the
    now-hairless alpacas that made it possible.

    - Jamis

    Jamis Buck, Dec 19, 2004