Ruby is like baby Alpaca yarn...

Jamis Buck

Just wanted to share this. I often talk with my wife about what I'm
learning about Ruby, or about how Ruby makes various tasks simpler.
She, being a knitter, always responds by finding some comparison
between knitting and programming (and, I must say, her comparisons are
strikingly on target).

Tonight, I was telling her how pleasurable it is to read Ruby code,
especially as compared to other programming languages. After
a moment's thought she nodded, replying, "Ruby is like baby Alpaca
yarn..."

What a great simile. I may have to use that as a sig sometime.

Joel VanderWerf

Jamis said:
Just wanted to share this. I often talk with my wife about what I'm
learning about Ruby, or about how Ruby makes various tasks simpler.
She, being a knitter, always responds by finding some comparison
between knitting and programming (and, I must say, her comparisons are
strikingly on target).

Tonight, I was telling her how pleasurable it is to read Ruby code,
especially as compared to other programming languages. After
a moment's thought she nodded, replying, "Ruby is like baby Alpaca
yarn..."

What a great simile. I may have to use that as a sig sometime.

Let the flood of animated alpaca ASCII art begin...

Hal Fulton

Jamis said:
Just wanted to share this. I often talk with my wife about what I'm
learning about Ruby, or about how Ruby makes various tasks simpler.
She, being a knitter, always responds by finding some comparison
between knitting and programming (and, I must say, her comparisons are
strikingly on target).

Tonight, I was telling her how pleasurable it is to read Ruby code,
especially as compared to other programming languages. After
a moment's thought she nodded, replying, "Ruby is like baby Alpaca
yarn..."

What a great simile. I may have to use that as a sig sometime.

Especially interesting in light of the punched card originating
with the Jacquard loom. Have we come full circle?

Hal

Richard Lyman

For once Google's targeted ads helped!

Little did I know - but that a link to Alpalca yarn was waiting for me
at the end of this thread!!

-Rich

Martin DeMello

Jamis Buck said:
Just wanted to share this. I often talk with my wife about what I'm
learning about Ruby, or about how Ruby makes various tasks simpler.
She, being a knitter, always responds by finding some comparison
between knitting and programming (and, I must say, her comparisons are
strikingly on target).

Until they talk about purl stitches :)

martin

why the lucky stiff

Jamis said:
Tonight, I was telling her how pleasurable it is to read Ruby code,
especially as compared to other programming languages. After
a moment's thought she nodded, replying, "Ruby is like baby Alpaca
yarn..."

Remarkable. I had intended to fit baby alpaca yarn into the (Poignant)
Guide (in chapter five's continued chapters of The Scarf Eaters.) I
just scanned for it and realized I musta backspaced over it sometime.
I'm putting that passage back in. We gotta cash in on these
subliminals, folks!

Jamis, I could use some juicer knit references in my next Scarf Eaters.
How much do you guys charge for a brief consultation, wherein I sit
there and listen to you name-drop various fibers?

_why

Michael DeHaan

An Alpalca yarn?

Once a farmer in Inner Mongolia had an Alpaca named Fred and a Duck
named Type. The duck just went swimming and the water was very
cold, so the Alpalca said to the Duck "Duck, would you not like to
have some socks?" and the duck agreed. The Alpalca took some of his
yarn and made some socks for the duck and ...

Ok, this is getting nowhere.

Jamis Buck

Remarkable. I had intended to fit baby alpaca yarn into the (Poignant)
Guide (in chapter five's continued chapters of The Scarf Eaters.) I
just scanned for it and realized I musta backspaced over it sometime.
I'm putting that passage back in. We gotta cash in on these
subliminals, folks!

Jamis, I could use some juicer knit references in my next Scarf Eaters.
How much do you guys charge for a brief consultation, wherein I sit
there and listen to you name-drop various fibers?

For a brief consultation, no charge. :) Besides which, this is for the
Guide! Anything we can do to help... perhaps even including a pattern
for a Poignant Cardigan or something, in memory of all the
now-hairless alpacas that made it possible.

- Jamis