Ruby LDAP --- Hooray!!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by gregarican, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. gregarican

    gregarican Guest

    After unsuccessfully trying to compile a Ruby LDAP implementation a
    year or so ago I found another project on Rubyforge
    (http://rubyforge.org/projects/net-ldap/) that easily accomplished the
    task in my Windows One-Click Installer Ruby environment. It was as easy
    as typing in ruby setup.rb! I am so thankful for the good work
    performed by the project maintainer(s) and wanted to express this. Now
    I can work on automating some spam filtering with my upstream mail
    scanning host. And do so using Ruby rather than an alternative
    language. Once again, thanks for the job well done!
     
    gregarican, Jul 28, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Thanks. Let us know here if you hit any problems with the library or
    if you have any feature requests. Sounds like you may be doing more
    with Net::LDAP than just bind-authenticating users, so I'll be curious
    to follow your progress.

    On 7/28/06, gregarican <> wrote:
    > After unsuccessfully trying to compile a Ruby LDAP implementation a
    > year or so ago I found another project on Rubyforge
    > (http://rubyforge.org/projects/net-ldap/) that easily accomplished the
    > task in my Windows One-Click Installer Ruby environment. It was as easy
    > as typing in ruby setup.rb! I am so thankful for the good work
    > performed by the project maintainer(s) and wanted to express this. Now
    > I can work on automating some spam filtering with my upstream mail
    > scanning host. And do so using Ruby rather than an alternative
    > language. Once again, thanks for the job well done!
    >
    >
    >
     
    Francis Cianfrocca, Jul 28, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. gregarican

    gregarican Guest

    For this one task all I am doing is pulling the Exchange Server global
    address book through LDAP and uploading the derived list to an upstream
    provider that helps us filter out spam e-mail messages. It's just a
    quick pull and the library you have made things a snap. It's all done
    now.

    There was another project I was considering moving to LDAP. Right now I
    have a mobile CRM app that uses Exchange CDO for storing the contact
    details. Rather than use this (clunky) storage method I am thinking
    about moving the contact store over to an lighter weight LDAP tree. I
    have OpenLDAP Server on my development box and did some modeling of how
    things would work. Seems like a good possibility down the road
    sometime. Right now things work fine in regards to what's already been
    done. It's just a fine tuning matter to improve things whenever I find
    the time.

    Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
    > Thanks. Let us know here if you hit any problems with the library or
    > if you have any feature requests. Sounds like you may be doing more
    > with Net::LDAP than just bind-authenticating users, so I'll be curious
    > to follow your progress.
    >
    > On 7/28/06, gregarican <> wrote:
    > > After unsuccessfully trying to compile a Ruby LDAP implementation a
    > > year or so ago I found another project on Rubyforge
    > > (http://rubyforge.org/projects/net-ldap/) that easily accomplished the
    > > task in my Windows One-Click Installer Ruby environment. It was as easy
    > > as typing in ruby setup.rb! I am so thankful for the good work
    > > performed by the project maintainer(s) and wanted to express this. Now
    > > I can work on automating some spam filtering with my upstream mail
    > > scanning host. And do so using Ruby rather than an alternative
    > > language. Once again, thanks for the job well done!
    > >
    > >
    > >
     
    gregarican, Jul 28, 2006
    #3
  4. gregarican

    Ola Bini Guest

    Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
    > Thanks. Let us know here if you hit any problems with the library or
    > if you have any feature requests. Sounds like you may be doing more
    > with Net::LDAP than just bind-authenticating users, so I'll be curious
    > to follow your progress.
    >
    >


    I'm also using it, and it's really good. I'm actually specifically _not_
    doing authentication with LDAP in Ruby (centralized CAS server), but I
    am using LDAP as one of several data sources feeding a Rails
    application. I must say that your overloading of & and | for combining
    filters was most inspired. The only missing part is real prefix notation
    for it, but I guess I can manage without. =)

    Regards
    --
    Ola Bini (http://ola-bini.blogspot.com)
    JvYAML, RbYAML, JRuby and Jatha contributor
    System Developer, Karolinska Institutet (http://www.ki.se)
    OLogix Consulting (http://www.ologix.com)

    "Yields falsehood when quined" yields falsehood when quined.
     
    Ola Bini, Jul 28, 2006
    #4
  5. Out of curiosity, what kind of identities are you storing in Exchange
    (and maybe LDAP someday) to support your mobile CRM? are they people
    who work for your company? or people who are your company's
    customers/vendors/partners?

    (I ask because I'm thinking ahead about some business-oriented
    enhancements to the LDAP library.)

    On 7/28/06, gregarican <> wrote:
    > For this one task all I am doing is pulling the Exchange Server global
    > address book through LDAP and uploading the derived list to an upstream
    > provider that helps us filter out spam e-mail messages. It's just a
    > quick pull and the library you have made things a snap. It's all done
    > now.
    >
    > There was another project I was considering moving to LDAP. Right now I
    > have a mobile CRM app that uses Exchange CDO for storing the contact
    > details. Rather than use this (clunky) storage method I am thinking
    > about moving the contact store over to an lighter weight LDAP tree. I
    > have OpenLDAP Server on my development box and did some modeling of how
    > things would work. Seems like a good possibility down the road
    > sometime. Right now things work fine in regards to what's already been
    > done. It's just a fine tuning matter to improve things whenever I find
    > the time.
    >
    > Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
    > > Thanks. Let us know here if you hit any problems with the library or
    > > if you have any feature requests. Sounds like you may be doing more
    > > with Net::LDAP than just bind-authenticating users, so I'll be curious
    > > to follow your progress.
    > >
    > > On 7/28/06, gregarican <> wrote:
    > > > After unsuccessfully trying to compile a Ruby LDAP implementation a
    > > > year or so ago I found another project on Rubyforge
    > > > (http://rubyforge.org/projects/net-ldap/) that easily accomplished the
    > > > task in my Windows One-Click Installer Ruby environment. It was as easy
    > > > as typing in ruby setup.rb! I am so thankful for the good work
    > > > performed by the project maintainer(s) and wanted to express this. Now
    > > > I can work on automating some spam filtering with my upstream mail
    > > > scanning host. And do so using Ruby rather than an alternative
    > > > language. Once again, thanks for the job well done!
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >

    >
    >
    >
     
    Francis Cianfrocca, Jul 28, 2006
    #5
  6. Ola Bini wrote:
    > filters was most inspired. The only missing part is real prefix

    notation
    > for it, but I guess I can manage without. =)


    Ola, if I understand you correctly, you're looking for standard RFC-2254
    filter syntax. Things like (for example):
    (&(objectclass=person)(mail=ola*))

    If that's what you need, it's there now. Look in the Rdoc for
    Net::LDAP::Filter#construct, which will accept a string like the above.
    The reason we didn't support the standard filter syntax originally was
    because IMHO it sucks :) and we wanted to give people a better
    alternative. The recommended way to do filters in Net::LDAP is with the
    original API, but we supported the standard filter-syntax because
    several people requested it.

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Francis Cianfrocca, Jul 28, 2006
    #6
  7. gregarican

    Ola Bini Guest

    Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
    > Ola Bini wrote:
    > > filters was most inspired. The only missing part is real prefix

    > notation
    >> for it, but I guess I can manage without. =)

    >
    > Ola, if I understand you correctly, you're looking for standard RFC-2254
    > filter syntax. Things like (for example):
    > (&(objectclass=person)(mail=ola*))
    >
    > If that's what you need, it's there now. Look in the Rdoc for
    > Net::LDAP::Filter#construct, which will accept a string like the above.
    > The reason we didn't support the standard filter syntax originally was
    > because IMHO it sucks :) and we wanted to give people a better
    > alternative. The recommended way to do filters in Net::LDAP is with the
    > original API, but we supported the standard filter-syntax because
    > several people requested it.
    >


    Haha, yes, I know it's there, but not as language syntax. That was the
    neat part about the filter combinations, IMHO.

    Regarding the standard LDAP filter syntax... well, I'm an avid Lisp
    lover, so, me likes it quite much. =) Each to his own. But your version
    is better from a Ruby perspective, of course.

    --
    Ola Bini (http://ola-bini.blogspot.com)
    JvYAML, RbYAML, JRuby and Jatha contributor
    System Developer, Karolinska Institutet (http://www.ki.se)
    OLogix Consulting (http://www.ologix.com)

    "Yields falsehood when quined" yields falsehood when quined.
     
    Ola Bini, Jul 28, 2006
    #7
  8. Ola Bini wrote:
    > Haha, yes, I know it's there, but not as language syntax. That was

    the
    > neat part about the filter combinations, IMHO.


    Now I get it. So perhaps something like:

    AND (filter-branch-1, filter-branch-2)

    rather than:

    filter-branch-1 & filter-branch-2


    Correct?

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Francis Cianfrocca, Jul 28, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jason Wold

    using LDAP Controls in ruby-ldap

    Jason Wold, Nov 4, 2004, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    292
  2. Ian Macdonald
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    249
    Ian Macdonald
    Mar 15, 2005
  3. James Hughes
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    360
    James Hughes
    Dec 13, 2005
  4. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    239
    Austin Ziegler
    Oct 11, 2006
  5. dacat

    Net::LDAP vs ruby/ldap

    dacat, Apr 27, 2007, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    342
    Ian Macdonald
    May 18, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page