Ruby LDAP SSL thingy won't go.

Xeno Campanoli

#!/usr/bin/ruby
#

require 'ldap'

begin
ldap_host = 'corp.com'
ldap_port = 636
ldap_conn = LDAP::SSLConn.new(ldap_host,ldap_port)
puts "trace 2 ldap_conn: #{ldap_conn.class}"
ldap_conn.set_option( LDAP::LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION, 3 )
puts "trace 3 ldap_conn: #{ldap_conn.class}"
bind_dn = "uid=#{ARGV[0]},ou=People,ou=Corporate,dc=real,dc=com"
password_dn = "#{ARGV[1]}"
ldap_conn.bind(bind_dn,password_dn)
puts "trace 4 ldap_conn: #{ldap_conn.class}"
rescue
puts "trace 5 oops, #{$!}"
end

# end of test

I have a coworker who got this to work on his server, but on my Ubuntu Servers
it won't go. We seem to have the configurations all correct. Is there a
special configuration aspect or activity needed on Ubuntu servers for things
like this? Changing the port to 389 and the SSLConn to Conn makes it go fine
too, if that is any kind of a hint. Here is what the failures look like:
$ ./t7.rb un 'pw'
trace 2 ldap_conn: LDAP::SSLConn
trace 3 ldap_conn: LDAP::SSLConn
trace 5 oops, Can't contact LDAP server
$ ./t4.rb un 'pw'
trace 2 ldap_conn: LDAP::Conn
trace 3 ldap_conn: LDAP::Conn
trace 4 ldap_conn: LDAP::Conn
$
----snip---
where t4 is with just Conn/389 and t7 is with SSLConn and 636 as in my code
above. Again, a coworker go the t7.rb running just like the t4 on his server,
but mine don't take. We cannot find the config problem and the /etc/ldap
directories seem to coincide for things that seem important.

Brian Candler

You asked the same question once before at
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/187912

I gave you some suggestions to try to narrow down the problem. You
either ignored them, or didn't bother to post the results which would
have helped identify the problem.

However you didn't say before that you were running Ubuntu. If you are
using the stock Ubuntu ruby package, did you remember to install the
libopenssl-ruby package? (Ubuntu breaks out this part of Ruby into a
separate package)

Xeno Campanoli

Brian said:
You asked the same question once before at
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/187912

I gave you some suggestions to try to narrow down the problem. You
either ignored them, or didn't bother to post the results which would
have helped identify the problem.

However you didn't say before that you were running Ubuntu. If you are
using the stock Ubuntu ruby package, did you remember to install the
libopenssl-ruby package? (Ubuntu breaks out this part of Ruby into a
separate package)

Thank you Brian. I am at home now. I will try this first thing tomorrow
morning. I'm sorry I didn't see it before. Perhaps that's all it is.