Ruby Libraries (and Leopard)

Peter Laurens

Hi,

I am wanting to experiment with SVG with Ruby, and although there is no
gem for SVG afaik, I downloaded ruby-svg (from
http://ruby-svg.sourceforge.jp/).

I followed the simple install instructions (just run a ruby script) and
the install dumped an 'svg' folder with the ruby-svg files inside at my
hard drive root (/svg).

This surprised me, and Ruby obviously can't find these files using
"require 'svg/svg'", because Ruby isn't looking here. So I was wondering
where the normal place to put Ruby libraries like this is (where does
Ruby normally look).

I also think that this might be very different under Mac OS X Leopard,
because Ruby ships with the OS in a 'frameworkised' version, so perhaps
the library location is different?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks.

Casimir

Peter Laurens kirjoitti:
I downloaded ruby-svg (from
http://ruby-svg.sourceforge.jp/).

I followed the simple install instructions (just run a ruby script) and
the install dumped an 'svg' folder with the ruby-svg files inside at my
hard drive root (/svg).

This surprised me, and Ruby obviously can't find these files using
"require 'svg/svg'", because Ruby isn't looking here. So I was wondering
where the normal place to put Ruby libraries like this is (where does
Ruby normally look).

I am not sure about Leopard. But I used Yuya's SVG lib, it works nice.
Thank you, Yuya!! Its what I used for the pieces in my portfolio 8)

There isn't much to install. I didnt run any install script. Simply
copied the "svg"-directory to the same dir as my code. I suppose if you
have a default library path in your PATH you would want to copy the
uncompressed lib (folder) there.

See this:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/ruby.1.html

If you cant get it working otherwise, first uncompress the archive. Then
copy the 'svg'-directory (inside 'lib') with all the content TO the same
directory you have your ruby code in (say, for example sample1.rb).
Require it in the code with "require 'svg/svg'". Finally compile from
the same directory as your ruby code (and the svg-directory) with "ruby
yourrubyscript.rb".

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more.

Csmr
http://csmr.dreamhosters.com