Ruby Libraries (and Leopard)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Peter Laurens, Nov 13, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I am wanting to experiment with SVG with Ruby, and although there is no
    gem for SVG afaik, I downloaded ruby-svg (from
    http://ruby-svg.sourceforge.jp/).

    I followed the simple install instructions (just run a ruby script) and
    the install dumped an 'svg' folder with the ruby-svg files inside at my
    hard drive root (/svg).

    This surprised me, and Ruby obviously can't find these files using
    "require 'svg/svg'", because Ruby isn't looking here. So I was wondering
    where the normal place to put Ruby libraries like this is (where does
    Ruby normally look).

    I also think that this might be very different under Mac OS X Leopard,
    because Ruby ships with the OS in a 'frameworkised' version, so perhaps
    the library location is different?

    Any help much appreciated,

    Thanks.

    Peter Laurens, Nov 13, 2007

  2. Peter Laurens

    Casimir Guest

    Peter Laurens kirjoitti:
    > I downloaded ruby-svg (from
    > http://ruby-svg.sourceforge.jp/).
    >
    > I followed the simple install instructions (just run a ruby script) and
    > the install dumped an 'svg' folder with the ruby-svg files inside at my
    > hard drive root (/svg).
    >
    > This surprised me, and Ruby obviously can't find these files using
    > "require 'svg/svg'", because Ruby isn't looking here. So I was wondering
    > where the normal place to put Ruby libraries like this is (where does
    > Ruby normally look).

    I am not sure about Leopard. But I used Yuya's SVG lib, it works nice.
    Thank you, Yuya!! Its what I used for the pieces in my portfolio 8)

    There isn't much to install. I didnt run any install script. Simply
    copied the "svg"-directory to the same dir as my code. I suppose if you
    have a default library path in your PATH you would want to copy the
    uncompressed lib (folder) there.

    See this:
    http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/ruby.1.html

    If you cant get it working otherwise, first uncompress the archive. Then
    copy the 'svg'-directory (inside 'lib') with all the content TO the same
    directory you have your ruby code in (say, for example sample1.rb).
    Require it in the code with "require 'svg/svg'". Finally compile from
    the same directory as your ruby code (and the svg-directory) with "ruby
    yourrubyscript.rb".

    I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more.

    Csmr
    http://csmr.dreamhosters.com

    Casimir, Nov 14, 2007