Ruby License Question

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jonas Hartmann, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. Someone pointed me at FSDB, and that one points back to the ruby
    license. http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt

    FSDB seems to fit my needs, and if not, seems to be perfect for
    extending it.

    does 2. a.) allow to use modified versions of any code under the ruby
    liscense to develop closed source commercial software out of projects
    under ruby liscense?

    If I ever find a bug or missing feature in FSDB I will fix it and
    submit the fix, that won't be a problem.

    But what about developing closed source software with/ontop of ruby
    and FSDB, may I do that?

    I don't yet know how far I ll push the project I am planning, and how
    soon I will make it opensource - this is the reason I am asking.

    Thanks in advance
    Jonas

    p.s. dont get me wrong - I like the ideas of GPL and LGPL very much,
    but imho software has to have a certain level of completness, quality
    and has to be very well known so that it pays off via offering service
    and support and further development by request.

    Jonas Hartmann, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Hi,

    In message "Re: Ruby License Question"
    on Thu, 21 Apr 2005 03:53:45 +0900, Jonas Hartmann <> writes:

    |does 2. a.) allow to use modified versions of any code under the ruby
    |liscense to develop closed source commercial software out of projects
    |under ruby liscense?

    Yes, unless you distribute your modified version as named "Ruby".

    |If I ever find a bug or missing feature in FSDB I will fix it and
    |submit the fix, that won't be a problem.
    |
    |But what about developing closed source software with/ontop of ruby
    |and FSDB, may I do that?

    That won't be a problem either, provided you follow the instruction in
    the terms in the COPYING file.

    Ruby's License is a dual with GPL friendly terms (GPL itself) and
    commercial friendly terms that don't require disclosing your source.
    If you want to link Ruby with GPL software, choose GPL terms; if you
    want not to publish your source code, choose Artistic like terms.
    You can use & modify my code for free (as in free drink), but do not
    prohibit others to apply GPL terms to the original source code.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In message "Re: Ruby License Question"
    > on Thu, 21 Apr 2005 03:53:45 +0900, Jonas Hartmann <> writes:
    >
    > |does 2. a.) allow to use modified versions of any code under the ruby
    > |liscense to develop closed source commercial software out of projects
    > |under ruby liscense?
    >
    > Yes, unless you distribute your modified version as named "Ruby".
    >
    > |If I ever find a bug or missing feature in FSDB I will fix it and
    > |submit the fix, that won't be a problem.
    > |
    > |But what about developing closed source software with/ontop of ruby
    > |and FSDB, may I do that?
    >
    > That won't be a problem either, provided you follow the instruction in
    > the terms in the COPYING file.
    >
    > Ruby's License is a dual with GPL friendly terms (GPL itself) and
    > commercial friendly terms that don't require disclosing your source.
    > If you want to link Ruby with GPL software, choose GPL terms; if you
    > want not to publish your source code, choose Artistic like terms.
    > You can use & modify my code for free (as in free drink), but do not
    > prohibit others to apply GPL terms to the original source code.
    >
    > matz.

    Thank you!

    Jonas

    Jonas Hartmann, Apr 21, 2005