    done lots of PERL stuff, but now Ruby is slowly being phased in,
    gaining momentum as a choice over PERL.

    --Steve

    Stephen Waits, Nov 4, 2005

  2. Stephen Waits

    James Britt Guest

    Stephen Waits wrote:

    > I gave a brief talk about PSP game programming to the SDSU ACM group
    > last night.
    >
    > Out of about 25 attendees, two raised their hands for Ruby. One of the
    > two worked at Qualcomm. He mentioned that historically, they've done
    > lots of PERL stuff, but now Ruby is slowly being phased in, gaining
    > momentum as a choice over PERL.

    Interesting.

    Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people
    start referring to RUBY.

    :)

    Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.

    Rapid Understanding Before Yesterday
    Really Ugly Bastards Yodeling
    RUBY: Uplifting Beautiful Yammering
    RUBY unmasks brutal youth
    Rarely unnatural block yielding

    :O

    James

    James Britt, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Stephen Waits

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, James Britt wrote:

    > Stephen Waits wrote:
    >>
    >> I gave a brief talk about PSP game programming to the SDSU ACM group last
    >> night.
    >>
    >> Out of about 25 attendees, two raised their hands for Ruby. One of the
    >> two worked at Qualcomm. He mentioned that historically, they've done lots
    >> of PERL stuff, but now Ruby is slowly being phased in, gaining momentum as
    >> a choice over PERL.

    > Interesting.
    >
    > Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people start
    > referring to RUBY.
    >
    > :)
    >

    > Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.
    >
    > Rapid Understanding Before Yesterday
    > Really Ugly Bastards Yodeling
    > RUBY: Uplifting Beautiful Yammering
    > RUBY unmasks brutal youth
    > Rarely unnatural block yielding

    you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know that an
    acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately obtuse ;-)

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Nov 4, 2005
  4. Stephen Waits

    James Britt Guest

    Ara.T.Howard wrote:

    >> Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.
    >>
    >> Rapid Understanding Before Yesterday
    >> Really Ugly Bastards Yodeling
    >> RUBY: Uplifting Beautiful Yammering
    >> RUBY unmasks brutal youth
    >> Rarely unnatural block yielding

    > you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know that an
    > acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately obtuse ;-)

    Hey, I offered *two* GNU-styled self-refs there!

    James

    James Britt, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Stephen Waits

    Jacob Fugal Guest

    On 11/4/05, Ara.T.Howard <> wrote:
    > > Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people s=

    tart
    > > referring to RUBY.
    > >
    > > Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.
    > >
    > > Rapid Understanding Before Yesterday
    > > Really Ugly Bastards Yodeling
    > > RUBY: Uplifting Beautiful Yammering
    > > RUBY unmasks brutal youth
    > > Rarely unnatural block yielding

    > you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know that a=

    > acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately obtuse ;=

    -)

    RUBY: Upholding the Beauty of YAML

    ?

    Jacob Fugal

    Jacob Fugal, Nov 4, 2005
  6. Stephen Waits

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Jacob Fugal wrote:

    > On 11/4/05, Ara.T.Howard <> wrote:
    >>> Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people start
    >>> referring to RUBY.
    >>>
    >>> Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.
    >>>
    >>> Rapid Understanding Before Yesterday
    >>> Really Ugly Bastards Yodeling
    >>> RUBY: Uplifting Beautiful Yammering
    >>> RUBY unmasks brutal youth
    >>> Rarely unnatural block yielding

    >> you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know that an
    >> acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately obtuse ;-)

    > RUBY: Upholding the Beauty of YAML

    lol!!

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Nov 4, 2005
  7. Stephen Waits

    James Britt Guest

    Jacob Fugal wrote:
    > On 11/4/05, Ara.T.Howard <> wrote:
    >
    >>>Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people start
    >>>referring to RUBY.
    >>>
    >>>Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.
    >>>
    >>>Rapid Understanding Before Yesterday
    >>>Really Ugly Bastards Yodeling
    >>>RUBY: Uplifting Beautiful Yammering
    >>>RUBY unmasks brutal youth
    >>>Rarely unnatural block yielding

    >>you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know that an
    >>acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately obtuse ;-)

    > RUBY: Upholding the Beauty of YAML

    RUBY ultimately begets YARV

    James

    James Britt, Nov 4, 2005
  8. Stephen Waits

    Ed Howland Guest

    On 11/4/05, James Britt <> wrote:

    > > RUBY: Upholding the Beauty of YAML

    > RUBY ultimately begets YARV

    These 3 are good.

    I vote for the latter.

    ;)

    Ed

    Ed Howland, Nov 4, 2005
  9. James Britt wrote:

    > Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people
    > start referring to RUBY.

    Sorry.. in my day I learned PERL as Practical Extraction and Reporting
    Language. Maybe I learned it wrong a dozen years ago..

    --Steve

    Stephen Waits, Nov 5, 2005
  10. Stephen Waits

    James Britt Guest

    Stephen Waits wrote:
    > James Britt wrote:
    >

    >> Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people
    >> start referring to RUBY.

    > Sorry.. in my day I learned PERL as Practical Extraction and Reporting
    > Language. Maybe I learned it wrong a dozen years ago..

    I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to poke fun at you; I've just grown
    accustomed to seeing job ads and recruitment E-mail that refers to
    PERL, JAVA, and similar miscapitalizations. And I figure it is only a
    matter of time before buzz-oriented HR folks start asking for RUBY
    experience.

    Anyways, in the spirit of geek pedantry: Perl is not an acronym. It is
    a backronym or retronym, as the meaning of individual letters was
    retrofitted to the name of the language after it was chosen.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl

    James

    James Britt, Nov 5, 2005
  11. James Britt wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Anyways, in the spirit of geek pedantry: Perl is not an acronym. It is

    Ok.. s/PERL/Perl/g from now on then. Looks like the first Perl book I
    read way back whenever was wrong.

    Anyway.. we diverged.

    --Steve

    Stephen Waits, Nov 5, 2005
  12. On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Stephen Waits wrote:

    > James Britt wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >> Anyways, in the spirit of geek pedantry: Perl is not an acronym. It is

    > Ok.. s/PERL/Perl/g from now on then.

    "PERL".capitalize! # :)

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    David A. Black, Nov 5, 2005
  13. On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, David A. Black wrote:

    > "PERL".capitalize! # :)

    So now the Pragmatic Programmers are capitalizing on Perl? What is the
    world coming to?

    -- Matt
    Nothing great was ever accomplished without _passion_

    Matt Lawrence, Nov 5, 2005
  14. Stephen Waits

    Hal Fulton Guest

    James Britt wrote:
    > Jacob Fugal wrote:

    >>> you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know
    >>> that an
    >>> acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately
    >>> obtuse ;-)

    >> RUBY: Upholding the Beauty of YAML
    >>

    > RUBY ultimately begets YARV

    Ranguage Undertaken By Yukihiro

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Nov 5, 2005
  15. Stephen Waits

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    Hal Fulton <> writes:

    > James Britt wrote:
    >> Jacob Fugal wrote:

    >>> RUBY: Upholding the Beauty of YAML
    >>>

    >> RUBY ultimately begets YARV

    > Ranguage Undertaken By Yukihiro

    RUBY Ultimately Bedazzles You

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Nov 5, 2005
  16. Stephen Waits

    Lloyd Zusman Guest

    Lloyd Zusman <> writes:

    > Hal Fulton <> writes:
    >
    >> James Britt wrote:

    >>> RUBY ultimately begets YARV

    >> Ranguage Undertaken By Yukihiro

    > RUBY Ultimately Bedazzles You

    Other adverbs can also be used:

    Unconditionally
    Unequivocally
    Upliftingly
    ... etc. ...

    ... but probably not Uxoriously

    --
    Lloyd Zusman

    God bless you.

    Lloyd Zusman, Nov 5, 2005
  17. Stephen Waits

    Guest

    Hilarious! He'll tell his wife, Rinda!

    , Nov 5, 2005
  18. Stephen Waits

    Jeff Wood Guest

    as opposed to :

    Punctuation Eats Readability Loser...

    j.

    On 11/5/05, <> wrote:
    > Hilarious! He'll tell his wife, Rinda!

    --
    "http://ruby-lang.org -- do you ruby?"

    Jeff Wood

    Jeff Wood, Nov 5, 2005
  19. Lloyd Zusman wrote:
    > Hal Fulton <> writes:
    >

    >>James Britt wrote:

    >>>RUBY ultimately begets YARV

    >>Ranguage Undertaken By Yukihiro

    > RUBY Ultimately Bedazzles You

    Rizzley Ubizzles Bewizzle my Yizzle :D

    Daniel Schierbeck, Nov 5, 2005
  20. > Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.

    Really, U Better Yoose-it
    Rapid Usage's Banned, Yes?
    Run it Until it Begs You
    Rapid Understanding, Block Yielding