Ruby making inroads at big corporation... small anecdote.

Stephen Waits

I gave a brief talk about PSP game programming to the SDSU ACM group
last night.

Out of about 25 attendees, two raised their hands for Ruby. One of
the two worked at Qualcomm. He mentioned that historically, they've
done lots of PERL stuff, but now Ruby is slowly being phased in,
gaining momentum as a choice over PERL.

--Steve

James Britt

Stephen said:
I gave a brief talk about PSP game programming to the SDSU ACM group
last night.

Out of about 25 attendees, two raised their hands for Ruby. One of the
two worked at Qualcomm. He mentioned that historically, they've done
lots of PERL stuff, but now Ruby is slowly being phased in, gaining
momentum as a choice over PERL.

Interesting.

Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people
start referring to RUBY.

:)

Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.

Rapid Understanding Before Yesterday
Really Ugly Bastards Yodeling
RUBY: Uplifting Beautiful Yammering
RUBY unmasks brutal youth
Rarely unnatural block yielding

:O

James

Ara.T.Howard

Interesting.

Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people start
referring to RUBY.

:)

Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.

Rapid Understanding Before Yesterday
Really Ugly Bastards Yodeling
RUBY: Uplifting Beautiful Yammering
RUBY unmasks brutal youth
Rarely unnatural block yielding

you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know that an
acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately obtuse ;-)

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
| -- h.h. the 14th dalai lama

James Britt

Ara.T.Howard said:
you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know that an
acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately obtuse ;-)

Hey, I offered *two* GNU-styled self-refs there!

James

Jacob Fugal

you obviously don't work for the government - otherwise you'd know that a= n
acronym must be double nested or self referring to be adequately obtuse ;=
-)

RUBY: Upholding the Beauty of YAML

?

Jacob Fugal

Ara.T.Howard

RUBY: Upholding the Beauty of YAML

lol!!

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
| -- h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Stephen Waits

James said:
Perhaps the real sign of Big Corporate Acceptance will be when people
start referring to RUBY.

Sorry.. in my day I learned PERL as Practical Extraction and Reporting
Language. Maybe I learned it wrong a dozen years ago..

--Steve

James Britt

Stephen said:
Sorry.. in my day I learned PERL as Practical Extraction and Reporting
Language. Maybe I learned it wrong a dozen years ago..

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to poke fun at you; I've just grown
accustomed to seeing job ads and recruitment E-mail that refers to
PERL, JAVA, and similar miscapitalizations. And I figure it is only a
matter of time before buzz-oriented HR folks start asking for RUBY
experience.

Anyways, in the spirit of geek pedantry: Perl is not an acronym. It is
a backronym or retronym, as the meaning of individual letters was
retrofitted to the name of the language after it was chosen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl

James

Stephen Waits

James said:
[snip]
Anyways, in the spirit of geek pedantry: Perl is not an acronym. It is

Ok.. s/PERL/Perl/g from now on then. Looks like the first Perl book I
read way back whenever was wrong.

Anyway.. we diverged.

--Steve

Matt Lawrence

"PERL".capitalize! # :)

So now the Pragmatic Programmers are capitalizing on Perl? What is the
world coming to?

-- Matt
Nothing great was ever accomplished without _passion_

Lloyd Zusman

Lloyd Zusman said:
RUBY Ultimately Bedazzles You

Other adverbs can also be used:

Unconditionally
Unequivocally
Upliftingly
... etc. ...

... but probably not Uxoriously

Devin Mullins

Then we'll have to invent a backronym for it.

Really, U Better Yoose-it
Rapid Usage's Banned, Yes?
Run it Until it Begs You
Rapid Understanding, Block Yielding